Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would banning on-court coaching for just the CNT..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would banning on-court coaching for just the CNT..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:37pm
Can you guys please continue this bs in private? You’re ruining an interesting topic. Thank you
Sponsored Links

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Can you guys please continue this bs in private? You’re ruining an interesting topic. Thank you
I'm fine with that. Hunkeeling won't. Watch and see. We only got into this because he decided to spend the night going after me, and I defended myself. Dumb decision by me, I should have just posted, "Yada yada yada" and let it go. When he's banned (again) then I'll join in substantive discussions again. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I'm fine with that. Hunkeeling won't. Watch and see. We only got into this because he decided to spend the night going after me, and I defended myself. Dumb decision by me, I should have just posted, "Yada yada yada" and let it go. When he's banned (again) then I'll join in substantive discussions again. 
-Larry Hodges
then just don’t respond anymore, period.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:46pm

-Larry Hodges

LOL 

ttgold for moderator!!!! we need one more from Europe.

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

I would suggest you not defending yourself or replying at all because i think it would hurt your business. Most players in this forum are still beginners so they might mistake your political accomplishment as 1 on 1 coaching skill which is fine. But in the face of player of my caliber claiming you give better 1 on 1 lessons as compare to a 2500 chinese coach is pure portentous; players of our level can easily see right through it. 
Why not come out to the US Open and watch some of the kids I taught the fundamentals to, and perhaps you'll come back to earth from your insulting fantasy world?

He will be there. You both should continue the discussion there.
W7 baby
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:51pm
I won't, i don't have the vacation days to do so. 

fyi: https://imgur.com/a/PgnrqYa that statement is exactly what i meant. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 12/12/2019 at 4:38pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 6:53pm

-Larry Hodges
It's difficult when someone keeps posting these lies and disparaging comments. Imagine someone doing it to you - you'd probably respond as well, though perhaps you'd stop responding sooner. But I'll do my best. Hopefully responding to you this one time doesn't count. :) Someday I'd like to meet hunkeelin in person at a major tournament so I can quote back his actual words in front of others I work with. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 8:21pm
I am losing my patience
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

-Larry Hodges

LOL 

ttgold for moderator!!!! we need one more from Europe.

Lol.... i fully support this idea!
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

How much technical and/or tactical advantage do the top CNT players have over others in the top 50?

Would banning on-court coaching for just the CNT be enough to level the playing field considerably for everyone else?

If you are in the Football or Basketball forum and asking this question?
How many people will say YES?
LOL LOL LOL
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 3:22pm
English wasn't my first language so I might come off as direct and straightout aggressive. But here's a small conversation between me and one of larry's student https://imgur.com/a/PgnrqYa . His comment is exactly what I meant. If larry would want to bring the student to the next level, instead of 1 on 1 sessions where he tend to cap out. He can easily leverage his superior political power to setup camps and training partners where other coach can't possibly do. 
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 4:13pm

English wasn't my first language so I might come off as direct and straightout aggressive. But here's a small conversation between me and one of larry's student https://imgur.com/a/PgnrqYa . His comment is exactly what I meant. If larry would want to bring the student to the next level, instead of 1 on 1 sessions where he tend to cap out. He can easily leverage his superior political power to setup camps and training partners where other coach can't possibly do. 
There you go again, hunkeelin, with your constant aspertions of my coaching of which you have no experience, while ignoring facts. Didn't you read the posting from Moderator BAAL that you are now ignoring? I dropped it, as they requested, and yet here you go AGAIN. 

Now you bring up an anonymous source, which, ironically, totally contradicts your many postings that say I'm not good at coaching beginners. Meanwhile, I could given many dozens of 2500+ and 2600+ players who have regularly asked me to coach them - as my record indicates, I have a very good track record coaching players from beginners to advanced. I was the match coach for over 250 National Junior Champions - pretty good for someone who can't take players to a high level. I do turn players over to 2500+ players after a point so they can get better practice - but I still coach those players at tournaments, and usually on serve and receive. But you aren't interested in facts, just mindless insulting. 

So the question is whether we should let you hijack this thread AGAIN. This is not a language problem; this is you trolling, despite the moderators' warnings, as you do whaterver it takes to be the center of attention. Does it make you feel big to keep posting your garbage? 

I cannot wait to meet you someday at a tournament where I will challenge you to say, to my face, and in front of others who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than you are, the things you say here. It's pretty easy to do so when hiding behind a keyboard, isn't it?  So, make up your mind - do you want me to defend your claims that I'm not good with beginners, or get a list of elite players I've coached to high levels, including the Olympics? (And yeah, I'm part of a team at my club - we work together. Somehow I don't think you understand the concept.) 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 12/13/2019 at 4:28pm
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I am losing my patience
And so I stopped, as you requested. Then, one day later, hunkeeling started it up AGAIN. This is not two people arguing - this is one person publically (and falsely) attacking another, even after the moderators told him to stop, and the other defending himself. You banned hunkeelin at least once before, but he didn't learn from that. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 4:27pm
i am trying to make amends with larry a TT HoFer. By complimenting his power and influence in usa table tennis community both as a politician and coach and somehow that came off as offensive. it seems no matter what I do i'm going the wrong path. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 12/13/2019 at 4:28pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 4:32pm

i am trying to make amends with larry a TT HoFer. By complimenting his power and influence in usa table tennis community both as a politician and coach and somehow that came off as offensive. it seems no matter what I do i'm going the wrong path. 
Give us a break. There was nothing in your posting that wasn't insulting. I could run you through it, line by line, but you are just trolling with your constant posts about how I'm more of a politician than a coach. Don't insult our intelligence. I'm sure the moderators appreciate your starting this up AGAIN. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 4:38pm
Larry, you are a respected and accomplished coach. Engaging in these types of immature arguments and feeling the need to defend yourself is beneath you and can damage your credibility. I recommend you stop replying.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 4:56pm

Give us a break. There was nothing in your posting that wasn't insulting. I could run you through it, line by line, but you are just trolling with your constant posts about how I'm more of a politician than a coach. Don't insult our intelligence. I'm sure the moderators appreciate your starting this up AGAIN. 
-Larry Hodges

that's incorrect. I'm literally unable of empathy. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 5:21pm
Some people just can't take a fricking hint.

hunkeelin cannot help trolling and posting nonsense. 30 day ban. This is Strike 2.  (it is actually Strike 3 but we are magnanimous).

larrytt, who noted earlier that he approaches the age of 60, cannot simply let it lie and realize that nobody pays any attention to what hunkeelin says. An "adult in the room" would flag comments to mods (as he did) and then let it go and wait for us to take action (which we will do). He would not continue the flaming.  But, alas....

I pay attention to repeated behavior on forums. Starting and (equally important) perpetuating flame wars is something I can't help noticing.

So what to do about larrytt here? I have noticed over the years that a way-above-average number of threads he gets on end up in flame wars (and this is over and above the threads infested by the sjan troll who has a Larry Hodges obsession/mania, and who we eliminate on sight). The flame war pattern is usually something like what we see here. A thread gets hijacked, other sane members tell him to chill out but he can't help himself.

Larry, I honestly don't care if pointing this out pisses you off. Consider this a formal warning, accompanied by a one-week cooling off period. Like I said, my patience is now at a monomolecular layer of thickness.            

Edited by Baal - 12/13/2019 at 5:47pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by ndotson ndotson wrote:

Larry, you are a respected and accomplished coach. Engaging in these types of immature arguments and feeling the need to defend yourself is beneath you and can damage your credibility. I recommend you stop replying.
now that's good coaching! forget about watching the watchers, it's all about coaching the coaches. long live spokane tt!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2019 at 5:52pm
Regarding topics at hand, Clearly, there is a difference between (1) coaching a player in a match, (2) coaching in a lesson, and (3) training a player.  This is probably obvious to most forum members.  Some people are good at all three.  Some people are better at one thing than another. 

In a match coaches can help a player (or hurt him/her).  But the players are not robots or puppets controlled by the coach.  LGL is not the guy trying to figure out what to do with Dima's really weird and super deceptive backhand serve in real time.

The match coach has to really know the player well.  Top level coaches of international teams clearly do.  LGL is a master at coaching in matches.  With that said, you look better in match coaching when the players you are coaching are pretty much always in the top five in the world (even when you are not present).

In tennis there is no match coaching.  And yet, for a long time now, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have dominated, just as Ma Long and FZD and Xu Xin do (and the Chinese women also), and before that WLQ and Wang Hao (for awhile) and WLQ.  They are the best players.  Having a great match coach is an added advantage.

Edited by Baal - 12/13/2019 at 5:55pm
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2019 at 1:24am
In tennis, there is plenty of in match coaching. It is not legal, but many players do it. Djokovic looks at his coaching box after almost every missed shot. Serena's coach admitted that he was coaching her when she got a penalty for coaching in the US Open.

Tennis has experimented with allowing players to call the coach down from the stands to get coaching during breaks a limited number of times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic