Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Boosting illegal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Boy oh boy. I just don't understand why this argument continues and why it even started in the first place. ITTF is the international governing body for the professional and semi-professional flavor of the sport of table tennis. In that capacity it can and does make up whatever rules it wants, regardless of how anyone feels about it, but those rules apply only to competitions it sanctions.

Outside of those competitions and that environment, we're free to abide by or not abide by those rules or any rules for that matter. Why do people feel and preach otherwise? Different rules = a different game. Different rules doesn't equal cheating. At this table, the 38mm ball, speed glue, hidden serves, and crazy pip rubbers are welcome. At the end of the day, it's about finding the version of the game you want to play and the people you want to play with; or adopt a version of the game that others also want to play.

It irks me that manufacturers discontinue products without regard for what recreational players want and need in some cases. We shouldn't be at odds with each other. We should be at odds with them, to no avail, though, of course.

I was trying to ignore this topic any more, but emails keeping popping up in my Inbox about new posts.  It really is a Zombie thread.LOL

You are right that ITTF rules only apply to ITTF events.  However, most national bodies, including USATT, either directly include ITTF rules (explicitly saying they apply to all events in that country), or they include the same wording.  So boosting remains illegal in the USA, even if you're playing in some weekend tournament, as long as it is USATT-sanctioned.

More broadly, you are correct that in non-sanctioned events, such as club play or an unrated tournament, then you don't have to comply with the ITTF/National/USATT rules.  As long as your opponent doesn't mind, I don't see why it should matter in those settings.

I think the sticking point for this argument is that there are people who so strongly disagree with the no-boosting rule, that they feel they should be entitled to boost even in sanctioned events.  Basically:

Sanctioned tournament ==> apply USATT rules ==> apply relevant ITTF rules ==> no boosting allowed

versus

"No boosting rule" is unfair ==> ignore rule ==> play with boosting in sanctioned event.

Your later post said "Boosters, non-boosters, neither side has any grounds to criticize the other."  That's not right.  If you use booster in a sanctioned tournament, you are violating the rules.  Call the rules stupid and unfair if you want (I won't even disagree), but you're still breaking them.  If the event isn't sanctioned, then use whatever rules you and your opponent agree to and no one will care.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2020 at 10:20pm
FWIW the ITTF enforces the no booster rule the way it enforces service rules:

2.6.4 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his/her doubles partner and by anything they wear or carry. 

but luckily, I can enforce this one in gameplay even without an umpire.
US1260.RC1042 . Avalox P500 : Tuple 007 Pro + Victas 402DE
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 12:38am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

So boosting remains illegal in the USA

Nope - Not as long as you shell out and get factory-boosted rubbers from your favorite vendor or custom-boosted rubbers from your sponsor (if you are a pro, and you don't do it yourself to your specifications).  And - slightly off-topic: of course Tenergy is factory-boosted - why do you think it shrinks like crazy? 
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 12:54am
Clearly boosting is about 15% better material at most (is that figure close enough? OK maybe 20%) while ALL compartments of my game certainly have room to be improved 100% or more. I believe that is true for ALL players interested in the discussion and those use boosting as a smoke screen to mask the obvious. Those who don't care about people boosting just react in an amused way, knowing that the elephant in the room is the usual CALLOT, that chronic antiboost laziness, lack of talent; chasing the next pickstick, the last hard, the final match point.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 1:33am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Nope - Not as long as you shell out and get factory-boosted rubbers from your favorite vendor or custom-boosted rubbers from your sponsor (if you are a pro, and you don't do it yourself to your specifications).  And - slightly off-topic: of course Tenergy is factory-boosted - why do you think it shrinks like crazy? 
Just for the record, I used Tenergy almost exclusively from the time it was released until last Spring, changing rubbers about every two months.  I also moved sheets of Tenergy between paddles and used old sheets of Tenergy (from many different people, not just me).  In all those sheets (and it's a lot!), I never once saw shrinkage in Tenergy.

I also never saw any oily residue or other indications of factory tuning.  I do not believe even the little bit that Tenergy is factory boosted.

I respect that you don't think it's fair that factory tuning is legal but player boosting is not.  Nonetheless, that's the way the rules are written.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 8:12am

Just for the record, I used Tenergy almost exclusively from the time it was released until last Spring, changing rubbers about every two months.  I also moved sheets of Tenergy between paddles and used old sheets of Tenergy (from many different people, not just me).  In all those sheets (and it's a lot!), I never once saw shrinkage in Tenergy.

I also never saw any oily residue or other indications of factory tuning.  I do not believe even the little bit that Tenergy is factory boosted.

I respect that you don't think it's fair that factory tuning is legal but player boosting is not.  Nonetheless, that's the way the rules are written.

Maybe you dont have tried enough  to feel the oil but any modern post glue ban rubber is factory boosted.some use oddorless boosters to make rubbers .like I said there s a test somewhere in a website posted years  ago where tenergy leaves a dark stain in a paper after few weeks..koreans had bty booster in their bag because a friend bought some from a pro korean player when she came to US open 
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 10:27am
guys, you are wasting time ( your option).  Does not matter if Tenergy has booster - many others do.
the question is:  whether we should observe this ITTF rule that allows boosting by the factories and the players are forbidden to.  Fair rule?  Should we follow it blindly?  I say individual call of the two players on the table!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Maybe you dont have tried enough  to feel the oil but any modern post glue ban rubber is factory boosted.some use oddorless boosters to make rubbers .like I said there s a test somewhere in a website posted years  ago where tenergy leaves a dark stain in a paper after few weeks..koreans had bty booster in their bag because a friend bought some from a pro korean player when she came to US open 

Link?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 10:51am
Devil's advocate...

2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.

If you use a roller to stretch your rubbers while applying... It's like boosting but only along one axis.

But If you boost the glue layers instead of applying the sponge, wouldn't it stretch the rubber along both axes?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

guys, you are wasting time ( your option).

A respectful discussion, where parties present well-reasoned logical arguments, should, and most often will, at a minimum provide value for others reading/hearing it (learn something new; if nothing else, help them affirm their opinions; sidenote: I learned that the ITTF, now requests fully assembled rubbers to be submitted as part of the approval process). I know full well, that only very rarely do the debaters themselves change their opinion in the course of a debate. BTW: Those who read my blogs on TT11, will know that I only see limited benefits to boosting, since I prefer super-hard rubbers, so this is not about justifying a personal practice. Frankly, I just get annoyed by the holier-than-thou attitudes, especially as it pertains to mindless obedience to illogical, vague, and largely unenforceable laws. We would have been stuck in the dark ages if people did not question the logic of procedures, laws, social structures and the state of science. That's all that I attempted to do here.  
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 12:06pm
I also wish the ITTF rule was more common sense, if the VOC count is below a certain threshold there is no health risk and all is good. But that is not what we have. Rules that are unenforceable do damage to the entire structure of rules.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 12:31pm
Factory tuning on rubber/sponge is now prohibited according to ITTF T4 Technical Regulations for racket coverings.
No post-approval alteration both to rubber and sponge chemical formulation is allowed.

/Be happy/.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 1:30pm

A respectful discussion, where parties present well-reasoned logical arguments...

I just get annoyed by the holier-than-thou attitudes, especially as it pertains to mindless obedience...

I, too, love a respectful discussion.  Can't say it doesn't hurt when I'm called names.

FWIW, I don't mindlessly follow rules that shouldn't be followed.  There are lots of instances when I knowingly break the law.  However, I don't kid myself I'm not doing something illegal.

When it comes to table tennis, I just like to play on a level playing field where everyone agrees to the same set of conditions.  Yes, i know that's an unrealistic notion, but I'm a bit of a dreamer.

Edited by Tassie52 - 01/08/2020 at 1:30pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Link?

Its gonna be a little difficult to find a  6 year old post but my friend can do the test for 800$ and send you all the technical.details
also I found that tenergy sheets shrink even the square left over sheet have shrunk  in the cardboard pack

Edited by mykonos96 - 01/08/2020 at 1:37pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 5:16pm

Link?

Its gonna be a little difficult to find a  6 year old post but my friend can do the test for 800$ and send you all the technical.details
also I found that tenergy sheets shrink even the square left over sheet have shrunk  in the cardboard pack

I never had T05 shrink.  I remain unconvinced. 

Edited by Baal - 01/08/2020 at 5:19pm
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 5:24pm

Not all Tenergies are the same.
Some have been produced in China
Some are from Europe and Japan.

Let buy Tenergy from ASEAN lesser countries like Vietnam and see how much it shrink over time.
You might be lucky, let get some Victas rubbers and see.
Equipment Alchemist
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Factory tuning on rubber/sponge is now prohibited according to ITTF T4 Technical Regulations for racket coverings.
No post-approval alteration both to rubber and sponge chemical formulation is allowed.

/Be happy/.

Of course, a lot of rubbers are sent to ITTF with the tuning added, like most of the ESN rubbers produced for the last decade.  MX-P for example smells incredibly strongly of tuner.  Some people think that includes Tenergy (I am not convinced about that but can't entirely rule it out).

But it is correct that the stuff players use should be the stuff ITTF approved and in the form it was approved, which means that manufacturers for example shouldn't be sending pro players rubber with more tuner or different tuner than they included in the rubber samples they sent for approval.

of course if it passes the 4 mm and VOC tests nobody would know and players could simply say that they were unaware the factory was adding extra tuner and they thought they were just getting sheets from the middle of the roll or something -- or even that as sponsored players they were simply getting and using what the company sent them for free.

Edited by Baal - 01/08/2020 at 5:26pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Let buy Tenergy from ASEAN lesser countries like Vietnam and see how much it shrink over time.

Tenergy produced anywhere outside Japan is fake AFAIK.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 6:06pm

Of course, a lot of rubbers are sent to ITTF with the tuning added, like most of the ESN rubbers produced for the last decade.  MX-P for example smells incredibly strongly of tuner.  Some people think that includes Tenergy (I am not convinced about that but can't entirely rule it out).

But it is correct that the stuff players use should be the stuff ITTF approved and in the form it was approved, which means that manufacturers for example shouldn't be sending pro players rubber with more tuner or different tuner than they included in the rubber samples they sent for approval.

of course if it passes the 4 mm and VOC tests nobody would know and players could simply say that they were unaware the factory was adding extra tuner and they thought they were just getting sheets from the middle of the roll or something

+1 on the above, especially the highlighted version.

Side-note: Granted, I have only used ~5-6 sheets of 05, 05fx, 05 hard, and 64, and am not a world-renowned expert on all things Butterfly, but of those sheets I never had one that didn't shrink (no extra pressure applied; regular wbg used; sheets obtained from different reputable vendors in NA (PP, MS); used straight out of the package). I've never seen what's so special about Tenergy (because mine never felt remarkably springy - Have I been unlucky on all occasions?).

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Some of the players who have Tenergy that shrinks were breaking 2.4.7 by stretching their rubber with a roller.

Some of the players bought from unscrupulous or duped sellers.

I have never bought Tenergy, but I have played with several sheets of 05 which seemed VERY different (in terms of short game control and sensitivity to incoming spin).

Edited by icontek - 01/08/2020 at 9:44pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 10:43pm

of course if it passes the 4 mm and VOC tests nobody would know and players could simply say that they were unaware the factory was adding extra tuner and they thought they were just getting sheets from the middle of the roll or something

Side-note: Granted, I have only used ~5-6 sheets of 05, 05fx, 05 hard, and 64, and am not a world-renowned expert on all things Butterfly, but of those sheets I never had one that didn't shrink (no extra pressure applied; regular wbg used; sheets obtained from different reputable vendors in NA (PP, MS); used straight out of the package). I've never seen what's so special about Tenergy (because mine never felt remarkably springy - Have I been unlucky on all occasions?).

didnt used s roller because I use a marker and the a scissor so never used pressure..I dont know how people think a rubber can bounce like a speed glued rubber without booster from factory, can someone explain how would a rubber would bounce without factory booster?
guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 3:02pm
Hi,

I just have a question. I boosted my rubber with one layer and then waited about 40 hours and glued it on my blade.But I won’t be able to play for a week.When I play with it will the booster effect still stay or will some of it would have evaporated as I am not playing for a week? 

The booster i used was haifu seamoon.Please let me know.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 9:39pm

didnt used s roller because I use a marker and the a scissor so never used pressure..I dont know how people think a rubber can bounce like a speed glued rubber without booster from factory, can someone explain how would a rubber would bounce without factory booster?

Structure of the pores in the sponge maybe.  It was radically different when it came out.  However I'm not an engineer.

Edited by Baal - 01/10/2020 at 3:47pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 3:35pm
Somewhat apropos, though from the topsheet side: https://youtu.be/nVJ_SBW4hGQ LOL

Olive oil - long chains of fatty acid - chemical treatment? physical treatment?
Detergent-based cleaner: salts of long fatty acids - chemical treatment? 

chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 5:05pm
come on, this  topic is getting boring. To make it fun, has anyone tried to boost with urine? If I am ever qualified to play an ITTF event, that is what I would do to show my respect to this ridiculous rule. Remember, the original excuse to ban speed glue was because it’s dangerous and harmful to health.  Then they did not even bother to give a good reason to ban boosters which are neither dangerous nor harmful.

For my style, boosted Chinese rubbers are still not as good as Tenergies. So I don’t care if anyone boosts their rubbers or not. Skills , speed, power and tactics beat me, not boosters.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

come on, this  topic is getting boring. To make it fun, has anyone tried to boost with urine? If I am ever qualified to play an ITTF event, that is what I would do to show my respect to this ridiculous rule. Remember, the original excuse to ban speed glue was because it’s dangerous and harmful to health.  Then they did not even bother to give a good reason to ban boosters which are neither dangerous nor harmful.

For my style, boosted Chinese rubbers are still not as good as Tenergies. So I don’t care if anyone boosts their rubbers or not. Skills , speed, power and tactics beat me, not boosters.
...but there is that strong possibility that Tenergy/Dignics buyers who complain want the biggest gap between boosted rubbers and their own. It does not matter if they have still the better material, what matters to them is not seeing boosted rubbers come closer or it will ruin the advantage on which they spent a lot. Fair enough...

Edited by stiltt - 01/10/2020 at 6:54pm
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 7:04pm
actually there are too major disadvantages with boosting or over boosting: bad short game; inability to drive kill backspin.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic