Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who plays pickleball here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who plays pickleball here?
    Posted: 01/09/2020 at 6:55pm
After chess and badminton, I was wondering how many people play pickleball. 

I understand that's what tt quitters do when they are frustrated but surely some people play both here?

Edited by stiltt - 01/09/2020 at 6:56pm
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 7:12pm
I do, after 17 years of table tennis I was looking to try some other sport on the side and then I came across pickleball. It's a great sport and exciting for me to learn and play. I really think I can really grow in this sport.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 7:13pm
If anybody knows facilities where they both play good table tennis and pickleball let me know
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 8:39pm
tennis or table tennis. Please pick one. Or do both. But not at the same time.
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 8:54pm
We recently moved into a HOA that has two pickle ball courts which I intend to use but I have never played and most of the people in the HOA appear to be a drinking eating crowd. I watched that National Pickleball singles and doubles championships on YouTube and it appears to be a sport focused in the Sunbelt Retirement areas and also a popular Cruise ship sport. Many have said it resembles TT but only the scoring systems from my take. I will get the wife on the court and see if she takes a liking to the sport.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 808ponger 808ponger wrote:

tennis or table tennis. Please pick one. Or do both. But not at the same time.

Hah! Tell that to Fred Perry. World champion in table tennis in 1929, Wimbledon champion in 1934, 1935 and 1936, along with other grand slams.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 9:48pm
An abomination.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

An abomination.

Locusts.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 2:48pm
My wife and I have played a number of times with a group from our church.  It's always doubles, which is friendly and nice way to meet other people.  I've never even seen singles play.

IMO pickleball is natural for people who've played Tennis, and I don't think there's much at all in common with table tennis skills.  Spin is a minor part of the game, and it is very much about placement.  I think it's popular with older people because it really removes the more physically demanding aspects of Tennis, i.e. big movements around the court and hitting the ball with power.  My tennis instincts keep wanting me to hit the ball hard and play deep into the court, but that is not the way to play pickleball.  Overall I think the game is kind of lame though.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

An abomination.

Locusts.

Keep watch on your first-born children.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:09pm
OMG, chess, badminton, .. now pickleball?  This is MyTableTennis.NET.  Surely no one would stoop so low as to start a "Who here plays TTX?" thread, right?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 9:33pm
Rule 24 You may not defend TTex on table tennis forums or social media, and similarly you are not allowed to mention Pickleball or in any way acknowledge its existence.

To violate such a rule risks the wrath of the table tennis Gods.  They are ok with chess and badminton.  But you risk an eternity of nets and edges -- going against you.

Head My Warning.

Edited by Baal - 01/15/2020 at 9:50am
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2020 at 12:18am
I did not know. Please forgive me.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I did not know. Please forgive me.

If I was one of the Table Tennis Gods I would forgive you.  But I am not. And they are known to be capricious.  You are going to need to train harder just in case.
alexuganski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexuganski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2020 at 11:38am
Yes, I play pickleball. It's very fun. I used to play tennis in high school. TT has always been my main sport.
Andro Treiber H (83g)
FH - TSP Spectol Blue 2.1
BH - Andro Rasanter R42 2.3

Embrace the Dark Side.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2020 at 10:07pm
survey done 3 out of 31885 members

we played patter tennis at primary school 50 years ago it looks like that new invention Picketball
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2020 at 10:16pm
I watched a few YouTube videos. The strategy seems a bit bizarre, everyone just rushes up to a line and camps there.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 9:54am
In all seriousness, I suspect people would be better off picking ONE racket sport and if they need more activities choosing something else that is quite different and which enhances other physical and mental properties; say aerobic fitness or something like that.  So play table tennis and  soccer, or play table tennis and do some mountain biking, or play table tennis and do some tae kwan do or something like that.  It would provide more balance to life.

And since table tennis combines elements of spin and speed in unique ways, it is by far the greatest racket sport, increasingly so as people get older.

Edited by Baal - 01/15/2020 at 9:55am
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 10:39am
Regards playing multiple racket sports simultaneously, I achieved success playing table tennis and tennis at the same time. But I first took up table tennis. Then as a H.S. freshman, I picked up a tennis racket. I felt that tennis helped make my table tennis BH stronger. And tennis did not screw up my table tennis strokes, but maybe that's because I had already been playing table tennis. If anything, table tennis helped me develop a good BH tennis slice (like a chop stroke). Also, playing tournament table tennis gave me strategic and tactical experience that my tennis opponents didn't have.
Tony
1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 12:39pm
I've played both TT and Tennis, but I play TT left handed, and Tennis with my right hand. It doesn't seem to cause any serious issues, and may even help be not be quite so useless inept with my right hand.LOL

Edited by 1dennistt - 01/15/2020 at 12:40pm
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Victas V>15 Stiff (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.5 mm,
Wt. 167 gm total weight
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 2:57pm
It's kind of sad to see the resentment towards another growing racket sport. It's not tennis and it's not table tennis; it's a unique variation that combines elements of sports such as tennis, table tennis and badminton. And it's growing at a rapid rate - think I read there are currently over 3 million players in the US and it's slowly starting to gain traction internationally.

It's had a stereotype of being a rec activity for seniors and there certainly are a lot of older adults playing for health and the fun/social aspects of team play. But as the sport has grown the competition is starting to become much younger at the highest levels. As far as there being a 'tour' and large national tournaments, these have only been going on for a few years now whereas previously there were pockets in areas like the Pacific Northwest and South Florida with skewed playing populations. Most of the top players have a background in competitive tennis, usually current, former or aspiring college and even pro level. There have also been several people who developed the game from scratch as an adult without any prior racket sport experience but they're in the minority at the highest levels. The field depth is getting stronger each year and strategies continue to evolve as well.

I was a pretty good tennis player growing up and so the sport wasn't a tough transition after several weeks and months of practice. I'd say a decently fit adult can reach a skill level around 3.5 or so through regular practice. The problem is a lot of people, especially at the intermediate levels, 'self-rate' themselves and tend to grade themselves about a level too high; so most 4.0 players would probably really be about a 3.5, etc. During doubles play, when one person is above or below the rest of the group in overall skill level it can be a huge advantage or disadvantage since there are elements that don't exist in table tennis such as poaching (anyone can take the shot during the rally) and you can consistently play to the weaker player if you choose. The toughest aspect of the game for most to master is the touch or 'dinking' game and it really requires a lot of practice. The third shot drop is also a very important shot to keep the ball low from attacks and to give your team time to get to the non volley line. Surprisingly, when I've taken 2000+ level table tennis guys out who have a great short game in table tennis - they have generally really struggled in the dink game. Table tennis players without any tennis experience have also usually had pretty poor anticipation and will be very confused on where to stand or where the ball is going even after a decent number of outings but do often have pretty quick footwork.

At the lower and even lower intermediate levels, a lot of people will simply just bang the ball around. The more skilled players generally will use a combination of power and finesse depending on the situation. It's really important for players to get to the non-volley line to control the net. It's also really tough to play shots on the run or from mid court and it's generally not wise to play from the baseline since you won't hit passing shots against good players; playing from the back court is often only wise if you're chasing down a lob or even up on the defense - the goal is then to slowly make it back towards the non volley line. Like table tennis, it can become very chess like when the teams are pretty even in skill level and both have decent experience and a grasp of the game. From experience, I've seen tennis players make quite decent table tennis players and there are a select few national-level tennis hotshots I know who play around the 1600-1800 level with minimal playing of only like one day a month and using hardbat or pips paddles whereas the high level table tennis players who I've played tennis or p-ball with displayed a skill range on the lower end of the spectrum at around 2.0 to 2.5.

I'd say unless you're a rising junior table tennis player aiming for the olympics, a college scholarship or your livelihood depends on your table tennis game, then playing another racket sport is totally fine. Even a lot of tennis coaches are now both playing and coaching the sport to have fun and earn a little more money. Personally, I don't feel it affects my table tennis or vice versa except perhaps with depth perception if I do both in the same day and there are a lot of days where I do play both. There are several hundred local p-ball players compared to only maybe fifty or so regular table tennis players. And a local tournament may end up attracting 200+ people with a further group of people on the wait list. P-ball also seems to have a pretty even distribution of male and female players in the O40 range whereas there are hardly any female players of any age group in table tennis unless they're a wife of one of the male players. However, there does seem to be a far more skewed population of male players in the younger age groups. Overall, it's a really fun sport and I'm happy to see it grow.

Edited by FinalFight - 01/15/2020 at 4:17pm
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by FinalFight FinalFight wrote:

Surprisingly, when I've taken 2000+ level table tennis guys out who have a great short game in table tennis - they have generally really struggled in the dink game. Table tennis players without any tennis experience have also usually had pretty poor anticipation and will be very confused on where to stand or where the ball is going even after a decent number of outings but do often have pretty quick footwork.

From experience, I've seen tennis players make quite decent table tennis players and there are a select few national-level tennis hotshots I know who play around the 1600-1800 level with minimal playing of only like one day a month and using hardbat or pips paddles whereas the high level table tennis players who I've played tennis or p-ball with displayed a skill range on the lower end of the spectrum at around 2.0 to 2.5.

Even though I really like pickleball these statements sound a bit weird in the ears of a skilled table tennis player like me The table tennis short game requires much more finesse than a pickleball dinking game( I am around 2350USATT and my table tennis short game still sucks). With dinking there is a lot of margin for error and pickle ball players have difficulties dealing with the spin table tennis players can generate.

Also i have never seen a tennis player making a decent table tennis play er with no practice. A good tennis player with no practice is just a good ping pong hobby player

Imho it's much easier for a skilled table tennis player to be become a good pickleball player than vice versa.

This is all from own experience and keep in mind I really love pickleball.

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 6:05pm

It's kind of sad to see the resentment towards another growing racket sport

PB competes with TT for floor space in some community centers that offer both.

Edited by Ieyasu - 01/15/2020 at 6:44pm
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2020 at 6:24pm
Never seen tt competing with p-ball for floor space but then again, table tennis is pretty low interest in most local rec centers. The general complaint for ages was people taping off the tennis courts and using the tennis courts for p-ball, so more dedicated p-ball courts have or are being constructed.

Edited by FinalFight - 01/15/2020 at 10:46pm
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:42pm

In all seriousness, I suspect people would be better off picking ONE racket sport and if they need more activities choosing something else that is quite different and which enhances other physical and mental properties; say aerobic fitness or something like that.  So play table tennis and  soccer, or play table tennis and do some mountain biking, or play table tennis and do some tae kwan do or something like that.  It would provide more balance to life.

And since table tennis combines elements of spin and speed in unique ways, it is by far the greatest racket sport, increasingly so as people get older.

I normally find myself nodding my head in agreement with you (figuratively) 8 or 9 times out of 10.

However, I have both experienced and have talked to some ex-pros from 1 racket sport who have spent years transitioning to racketlon, i think there are tremendous gains to be made from parlaying the sports into each other if you are actively learning.

Playing badminton helped my footwork. Playing/learning tennis for 30-40 hours on the tail end of 2018, essentially gave me a more relaxed and efficient stroke on my forehand, more emphasis on relying on rotation, and even tweaked how I push heavy.

Finally, from using a 1 handed BH, I essentially adopted the footwork and full swing for when there is a high ball to smash. There are 3 former Olympians at my club, who stop either their coaching / hitting to have a look / praise the shot whenever i start warming that shot up, so it can't be that bad.

I also use this same movement from the 1 handed BH in badminton, in order to either clear the shuttle, from deep to deep [can place DTL, middle or cross court depending on timing, just like in TT or tennis], which is far easier for me to do than the traditional way, especially since i lack power. 

Hitting it more flatly makes it an aggressive, flat badminton shot.

My point is, learning and applying some skills from one sport, even if its one where you are at the infancy, if it has a lot of crossover like those 3 sports do in my opinion, you can make small adjustments, or increase how important you think some skill or w/e is, and then iterate over and over again. My tennis BH for example, improved my TT / badminton BH, but then learning this for the latter 2 sports then made it easier for me to play tennis BH again after i didn't play tennis for 6-7 months, after just starting it.

This is from someone whose never been a high level player in any sport, just reasonably good. The gains from people who actually know their craft inside out would possibly be far greater. Just like those ex-pro players going to racketlon. But the hunger is very important too.

Here is an example, and although it may look like it, there is no topspin on those backhands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0kRMNNsGuk
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2020 at 11:38pm

Never seen tt competing with p-ball for floor space but then again, table tennis is pretty low interest in most local rec centers. 

Lucky you and you are right regarding low TT interest in most local rec centers. Unlucky me. One of the rec centers in my area had 3 days for table tennis. They will be removing one day for PB.  I think it's a fair decision given participation numbers, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic