Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Regluing vs Boosting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WangZiomin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WangZiomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regluing vs Boosting
    Posted: 02/07/2020 at 2:33am
I hear a lot about these two things and I don't even know if either is legal but I am just curious as to what is the difference between the two.

I assume you boost before you reglue  ?

Do some players only boost or only reglue ?

I am totally lost  
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2020 at 11:17am
correct me if i am wrong Tongue

(1) boost only<=illegal
(2) boost + regule <=illegal
(3) reglue only <= legal

I only reglue the rubber now. I find that a new fresh of glue does make a difference :)
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2020 at 11:41am
You will get a range of opinions, but to me boosting and regluing are different.
Full reglue-you attach rubber to blade, and do not use in competition for at least a week or two. You do not re attach unless your rubber comes off, or is worn out and needs replacement.
Reglue with mild boost-where you re attach rubber regularly (every week or two maybe) when you rubber looses its umpffh.
Boost-where you use substances to affect the sponge and affect how rubber plays or feels. 

Other variations (and even interpretations of the above) are out there.
WangZiomin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WangZiomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

correct me if i am wrong Tongue

(3) reglue only <= legal

I only reglue the rubber now. I find that a new fresh of glue does make a difference :)

LOL  I thought I heard that ANY modification rubber properties is not legal. Of course you need glue to stick the rubber to wood but then again is only use of VOCs (which is known as regluing) illegal ? 
Confusing again 
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2020 at 2:33pm
My understanding of boosting: 
Boosting with trichloroethylene  (a VOC -- volatile organic compound) was banned about 15 years ago.  This chemical is the active ingredient in vulcanizing fluid (tire-patch-kits), and has a number of environmental and health concerns.  Its effect is short-lived, so people, including me, used to re-glue with it each time they played (the chemical was mixed into glue).  

Many inverted rubbers today come boosted from the manufacturer (e.g., Hurricane NEO).  They use non-VOC boosters.  After a couple of months, the booster wears off, and the rubber feels dead.  Re-boosting is technically illegal, for no good reason.  I understand most top players boost, as the VOC detection equipment doesn't catch it.    

Ironically, you'll see Falco ads at tournaments.  Falco's primary products are boosters, which are technically illegal.   
Liu Shiwen, Fastarc G1, Mizuno Q4; IF Layer ALC Mizuno T48, T05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by ClimbK2 ClimbK2 wrote:

My understanding of boosting: 
Boosting with trichloroethylene  (a VOC -- volatile organic compound) was banned about 15 years ago.  This chemical is the active ingredient in vulcanizing fluid (tire-patch-kits), and has a number of environmental and health concerns.  Its effect is short-lived, so people, including me, used to re-glue with it each time they played (the chemical was mixed into glue).  

Many inverted rubbers today come boosted from the manufacturer (e.g., Hurricane NEO).  They use non-VOC boosters.  After a couple of months, the booster wears off, and the rubber feels dead.  Re-boosting is technically illegal, for no good reason.  I understand most top players boost, as the VOC detection equipment doesn't catch it.    

Ironically, you'll see Falco ads at tournaments.  Falco's primary products are boosters, which are technically illegal.   

Here is a bit more precision on dates and stuff. The use of speed glues containing volatile organic compounds was banned in 2008.  ITTF actually banned the ones containing halogenated hydrocarbons like trichlroethylene quite a few years before that but people would still buy and use tire vulcanizing compounds that contain them. It was cheap and effective. The speed glues sold by TT companies circa 2007 were supposedly safer.  Were they really?  I dont know.  In any case, the effect lasted around a day.  That meant regluing the rubber each time you played.  I loved the effect, but not the smell.

Since late 2008, right after Beijing Olympics, people are supposed to use water based glues.  So people would use boosters instead.  The booster effect is much less than whst we achieved with speed glues but lasts longer so much less regluing of the rubber. Around that  time Tenergy and some ESN rubbers were introduced that play ok without the user having to boost  them.  A lot of people boost them anyway, especially ESN and some other rubbers that get older and the booster the factory added wore off, as mentioned by the previous comnent.

Boosting is against the rules but at the moment tournament  officials  usually can't detect it.  Therefore it is widely done by amateurs and pros alike.  At big tournaments they have machines that usually will detect speed glue.

Edited by Baal - 02/07/2020 at 6:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic