Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SERVICE RULE Question!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SERVICE RULE Question!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SERVICE RULE Question!!
    Posted: 03/17/2020 at 2:21pm
For years I've been trying to perfect a short Ma Lin underspin serve that bounces back towards the net. Yesterday I was told that such a serve would be a let (do over). Is this true? If a serve bounces on opponent's side of the table and then travels back towards the net, is that a let?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

For years I've been trying to perfect a short Ma Lin underspin serve that bounces back towards the net. Yesterday I was told that such a serve would be a let (do over). Is this true? If a serve bounces on opponent's side of the table and then travels back towards the net, is that a let?

It is just a very good serve.  No let.
Cedrick View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 3:30pm

Yes .........it is as true as items below

1.  If your serve bounces twice on opponents side, the server loses the point
2.  The ball must not travel around the net or striker loses the point
3. When a player's score reaches 10 he or she can no longer serve till game ends
4. The server alternates serves from left half to left half and right half to right half
5. If the player scores 7-0 the game is over and he or she wins.
6. You get one let for your serve. After that it is double fault and you lose the point
7. You can use sandpaper rackets in ITTF tournaments
8. You MUST have a sponge under a long or medium pips rubber
Most famous ones
9. You can (or cannot) stomp your foot during serve
10. You can (or cannot) stomp your foot during a rally
11. You can volley the ball on your side of the table or conversely, if you volley the ball (even outside end or sidelines)  , you lose the point. 

These are not urban legends as many people mistakenly think

Edited by Cedrick - 03/17/2020 at 3:33pm
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 4:18pm
i'm surprised you of all people have to ask this question?

is there money on this? LOL
*sigh*
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 4:42pm
It's a let vs a player in a wheelchair if it eventually rolls off the side.

Edited by heavyspin - 03/17/2020 at 4:43pm
Physicists never throw away old sheets of Butterfly rubber because Tenergy must be conserved.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 6:18pm
I think the person telling me this was confused about the disability ruling:

if the receiver is in wheelchair owing to a physical disability and in service the ball, provided that the service is otherwise correct,

------after touching the receiver’s court returns in the direction of the net;

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

i'm surprised you of all people have to ask this question? is there money on this? LOL 

Hey, come on . . . don't shame me now. ;-) It's never been an issue as I've never successfully had a serve bounce back into the net. Dang!!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 6:21pm
Any thoughts on stomping while serving or during a rally? Sometimes it's hard to know what's an official rule vs. common sense and club rules. Who's to say what's a "stomp" and what's simply putting a foot down on the floor.

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 6:35pm
It's up to the ump..some call it most wont

Edited by Charlie Brown - 03/17/2020 at 6:36pm
*sigh*
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 7:30pm

if the receiver is in wheelchair owing to a physical disability and in service the ball, provided that the service is otherwise correct,

Well, I learned something here: I didn't realize that the wheelchair rules applied only to those in wheelchairs owing to a physical disability.  I had thought it applied to all wheelchair players.  

Another strategy foiled!

Thanks.
"Speed kills but technical speed absolutely annihilates defenders." Mia Hamm
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

It's up to the ump..some call it most wont

In clubs without a ref, I've never had an opponent complain.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Well, I learned something here: I didn't realize that the wheelchair rules applied only to those in wheelchairs owing to a physical disability.  I had thought it applied to all wheelchair players.  

Another strategy foiled!

Thanks.

It does apply to all wheelchair players.  Players in wheelchairs are required to have their feet up on the wheelchair and not on the floor.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 8:12pm

Any thoughts on stomping while serving or during a rally? Sometimes it's hard to know what's an official rule vs. common sense and club rules. Who's to say what's a "stomp" and what's simply putting a foot down on the floor.

stomping is allowed.  so are dancing and somersaulting as long as the ball is visible to your opponent during the serve.

The Dark Side is:

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 6:27am
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Another strategy foiled!

Thanks.

It does apply to all wheelchair players.  Players in wheelchairs are required to have their feet up on the wheelchair and not on the floor.

You may be correct, however if the provided rules' quote is accurate, the author took the time and effort to explicitly state: "only to those in wheelchairs owing to a physical disability"

If this rule functions independently of the presence or absence of a physical disability, then this rule should be re-written.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 03/18/2020 at 6:28am
"Speed kills but technical speed absolutely annihilates defenders." Mia Hamm
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 11:50am
I've been working on cartwheeling while serving, and it's not going so well. Last night it took six or seven club members to untangle me from the net, and I owe $1000 to replace the table.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 11:53am

I've been working on cartwheeling while serving, and it's not going so well. Last night it took six or seven club members to untangle me from the net, and I owe $1000 to replace the table.

Gods of pong guy probably can

Edited by cole_ely - 03/18/2020 at 11:55am
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Another strategy foiled!

Thanks.

You may be correct, however if the provided rules' quote is accurate, the author took the time and effort to explicitly state: "only to those in wheelchairs owing to a physical disability"

If this rule functions independently of the presence or absence of a physical disability, then this rule should be re-written.

Thanks.

I agree it probably should be re-written.  It is asking the umpire or referee to judge whether the player is "owing to a physical disability".

The Dark Side is:

stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 2:40pm
I thought Donn's post was a joke related to the fact being in a wheelchair is indeed some sign of a disability, I must have read wrong.
VIP_Life_Member View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIP_Life_Member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Gods of pong guy probably can

Chen Xinhua vs Lezak Kucharski  1987 World's New Delhi.

One of the most amazing matches I have ever seen 
Kucharski's graceful strokes were amazing for a guy that tall  (6'5")
Of course Chen was brilliant.
I had this on VHS video tape & forgot to transfer to DVDs as I threw away all my tapes
Not sure if this is on YouTube

In a related matter , I always loved watching Zoran Kalinic with his penhold at 6"7" .
He beat Waldner in prilim's at the 1991 World's Teams.  A humiliated Waldner annihilated him in the finals. 

Mytoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 5:11pm
ITTF-rules are written for international competitions, but is uses more or less "as is" by most national associations. Para players will need a classification 1-11 to play in para classes. If you have an international classification card for 1-5 (or your national association has given you a temporary classification), you can/may/will use the wheelchair. Now and then there are players that have played in a wheel chair in the national league/tournaments, but are classified as standing when they come to their first international tournament. And then you have re classifications...., rehabilitation and training may take you to another class, or even out of the para classes (and even out of the Paralymics!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic