Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Have you (or will you) expedited someone ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cedrick View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you (or will you) expedited someone ?
    Posted: 03/17/2020 at 8:11pm
I was watching the expedited Oman Open 2020 women finals.

That made me wonder as to what is the lowest level expedited matches such as in a 0 star tournament ?

Will you expedite someone ?  Have you done it in the past ?

What are some of the interesting expedited matches you have heard of or seen (except of course from the 30's or whatever). 

Few years ago, I could never beat my travel partner & once in desperation tried to expedite him but it also failed. He of course loved it to see the expression on my face on the drive all the way back to our hometown. 
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 8:21pm
I seem to remember a women's late round match  at a US Open between two choppers who evidently agreed before hand to play the whole match under expedite.  So on first point they pushed gently to each other until the time limit was reached.  Umpire called a let and started expedite without any points having been won or lost.  Then they started playing for real.

Mark - Whose memory may not actually be that good.

Cedrick View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I seem to remember a women's late round match  at a US Open between two choppers who evidently agreed before hand to play the whole match under expedite.  So on first point they pushed gently to each other until the time limit was reached.  Umpire called a let and started expedite without any points having been won or lost.  Then they started playing for real.

Mark - Whose memory may not actually be that good.

As far as I know, the expedite rule can start with the start of a match if both players agree and there is no need to keep pushing,  waiting for time limit 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 10:13pm
I umpired a game that was taking too long so i got my mobile to start the timer and then called expedite after 10mins 
 I didn't do the rules properly and let them still serve twice, no one watching said anything until it was finished , nearly 3 full matches had finished on the table next to us
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 12:32am
A time ago Finnish TT Association came out with a proposition to disable the Expedite rule just for "unnecessity".
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 9:08am
I would consider it a success if I have the stamina to competively play someone to expedite
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I would consider it a success if I have the stamina to competively play someone to expedite

Agree. I would also be happy if I had the consistency to make it to expedite.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2020 at 11:07am
I played my first tournament in 1970 (!!??).  I dont believe in that whole time I ever watched a match in person go into expedite.
Mytoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 7:59am
I have umpired a few, and counted strokes in some more. The "worst" started on 7-7 in the first and went to 4-2 i think. Players normally know the rules. The main problem seems to be that many players don't know the difference between "time" during a rally ("let", same score, the same server will serve again) and "time" between rallies (new score, and service changes to the other player). For the assistant umpires, timing is the difficult part. You stop the watch when the ball goes out of the box, towel breaks and time outs. ....and start the stop watch again.... Takes some training and good rutines to get it right all the time. You start/stop the watch maybe in 400 matches without using it for anything important, and then in the 401st you suddenly need it!  
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 8:40am
Done loads for my sins... Wacko

One of my teammates was a classic defender and we had a couple of teams in our league who had one or one team two players the same style..

I've umpired a match that started at 3-2 in the first and it was a llllllooooonnnnggg evening...

I don't totally miss those days to be honest!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic