Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly of Social Distancing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly of Social Distancing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly of Social Distancing
    Posted: 03/19/2020 at 10:19pm
The Good
1. Trying to stretch 2 boxes of raisin bran, 1/2 gal of milk, 6 slices of bread, 3 packs of tuna, 3 cans of collard greens and 3 cans of blackeyed peas into 2 weeks worth of meals is likely to result in a much needed 10 lb weight loss.
2. Finally getting my money's worth out of those unlimited phone minutes and texts.  Also getting almost even on that $60/month Direct TV Now package on my phone now that I sit and stream 12hrs a day.
3. Talking way too loud because of my hearing loss is not nearly as annoying to others at 10ft distance rather than right in their face.
4. Regular wiping down all surfaces with disinfectant wipes now has the inside of trailer cleaner than it ever has been.  It even smells reasonably nice now.

The Bad
1.  Whataburger withdrawal symptoms.
2.  Cancelling plans for my east coast trip this year.
3. Empty toilet paper dispensers at the campground bathrooms and empty toilet paper shelves at the store.

The Ugly
1. My entire TT game after not being able to play for 4 weeks or more.  Actually this should be under "The Uglier" since it never was that pretty in the first place.
2. With no hair cut and no beard trim for more than a month and several weeks remaining before I can get one and with no chance to do laundry dwindling down anything decent to wear my appearance is definitely in the Ugly column.   Yes, and before Vanjr chimes in, my appearance belongs in the Uglier column too given where it started from.

Mark - Who amid the market crash is trying to hold onto a Fist Full of Dollars  and is figuring out what he can do For a Few Dollars  More to keep food on the table

Edited by mjamja - 03/19/2020 at 10:20pm
Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2020 at 10:45pm
You're doing pretty good with the rationing at that rate. I went through about 96% of my reserves on the first night. 
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 12:46am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

1.  Whataburger withdrawal symptoms.

just came back from Culver's.  front door was closed; drive-thru only.  same thing at in-n-out.  the good: I actually save on drinks since I am not eating there.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 1:03am
Think of the upside. If you have a sore back  or knee or wrist etc. from TT, now you can heal up.Then when we can play again you will feel great.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 1:04am
Mark,

You are for the most part, a direct path to ball hitter. You timing and touch will come back quicker for you than me.

Fishing supplements diet, but if any of those jokers has three eyes, toss 'em back or bury 'em.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 1:05am
Just from not coming back from club late several times a week, I am averaging 3 hrs more sleep per night... that puts me in the zone of "proper" amount of sleep.

That alone is doing all kind of wonderful good effect things for me.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Giant dwarf View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giant dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 2:07pm
why all the rationing,arent al the supermarkets just open or is it just a netherlands thing,
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 2:23pm

2. With no hair cut and no beard trim for more than a month and several weeks remaining before I can get one 
Wait, you trim your beard?  LOL

You should have gone west this year again -- we're still open.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Giant dwarf Giant dwarf wrote:

why all the rationing,arent al the supermarkets just open or is it just a netherlands thing,

I am over 65.  Even just going to grocery store could be dangerous for me.  Of course eventually I will have to go.  Am trying to stay isolated as long as possible.

Could be wrong strategy. Going out now could be safer than a week from now.  Who knows?

Mark
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 8:40pm
Mark, do stores in your area have curbside shopping?  HEB stores in Houston offer that now.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 9:53pm
Not one nearby, but one is about 45 min away.  That one is more in San Antonio where there have been cases while I am in more rural area with no cases.  Trying to decide what is safer.  Did find out that store nearby does have 65+ only shopping hour first hour in morning.  That might be my best option.

Thanks for the information.

Mark
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 9:57pm
Heres another suggestion.  Buy a canvas shopping bag to put stuff into so you dont have to put your hands on the carts or basket.  If you do decide to go inside.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Heres another suggestion.  Buy a canvas shopping bag to put stuff into so you dont have to put your hands on the carts or basket.  If you do decide to go inside.

Good idea.  I was going to wear disposable gloves too if I have to go inside.  Using credit card instead of cash would limit contact at checkout.  Best to use self checkout if they have it I guess.

Mark
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Giant dwarf Giant dwarf wrote:

I am over 65.  Even just going to grocery store could be dangerous for me.  Of course eventually I will have to go.  Am trying to stay isolated as long as possible.

Could be wrong strategy. Going out now could be safer than a week from now.  Who knows?

Mark

Don't worry, from the way you look and probably smell, you'll probably find lots of space between you and others.  Don't know if it was that way before the virus or not.Smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 10:55pm
I am sorry that such an important part of your life is being currently cut off. I am available for facetime if you need to talk to somebody Tongue.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 7:07am

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Good idea.  I was going to wear disposable gloves too if I have to go inside.  Using credit card instead of cash would limit contact at checkout.  Best to use self checkout if they have it I guess.

Mark

HEB has an app you can use to order and then pick up stuff curbside.  But 45 min is a long drive for you.  

I am thinking to to go in when they first open.  Gloves are a good idea.

Edited by Baal - 03/21/2020 at 7:08am
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 9:57am
How do you not mention the extra opportunity for shadow stroke training? Many laughed at you back when you began your shadow stroke program. Now we are thankful for showing us the way to train without a ball and table. 
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

How do you not mention the extra opportunity for shadow stroke training? Many laughed at you back when you began your shadow stroke program. Now we are thankful for showing us the way to train without a ball and table. 

I hurt my back last Sunday hooking up the trailer and have not been able to walk nor get up after sitting without pain.  I had big plans for shadow training during the down time.  But right now I would be very happy to get up out of a chair without hurting.

I do have a video project in mind entitled "The Four Forehands".  Maybe get to it soon.

Mark - The Shadow knows. But right now he knows to take it easy.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 12:51pm
where are thou mark?

If you are near Corpus, I think we still have not had a confirmed case. I would do a grocery run SOONER rather than later. You got my phone #. I can also try and procure supplies for you and you can pick them up from my house. I will stay inside. 

Shadow strokes are what we all can do now.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

2. With no hair cut and no beard trim for more than a month and several weeks remaining before I can get one 
Wait, you trim your beard?  LOL

You should have gone west this year again -- we're still open.
 The fact that you continue to keep the club open like everything is normal despite your states Governor declaring a state of emergency and then in the last couple of days urging all Oregonians the stay home is mind boggling. Every post you have posted on the subject in the 
Virus response: Clubs doing anything dif... thread you downplay the seriousness of the outbreak. You have the false belief that you are safe from the virus but by staying open you are showing your disregard for the health and safety of everyone in your community. You seem to think your need to play TT is more important than the health of others. TT is not a essential thing you need to be doing under the current circumstances.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 7:00pm
Well, I do think there is a lot of fear mongering in the media and that many people are prone to panicking.  I'm not alone in my reservations on the subject, but the people who are scared are a lot more likely to post or otherwise make public proclamations.

The people who are showing up at our club are club regulars and it's a small group -- less than ten.  So I don't see us being exposed to a lot of extra risk there.  And if those other players want to give up, then we'll close up the club.

There are a lot of other higher risk activities still going on, including grocery stores and virtually all mass transportation (buses, etc.).  And I'm generally being careful in everything I do as are the others showing up at our club.

If the governor issues an official shelter in place order (which she hasn't yet, that I know of), we'll obey it.  Although, I am not a fan of our current governor and if she does make such an order, it'll be more as a political move that a necessary action.  This is an action that should be taken at the City level, not the state level.

There's a reason why I've limited my posts in that other thread.  This is a table tennis forum and I don't wish to debate the subject.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I hurt my back last Sunday hooking up the trailer and have not been able to walk nor get up after sitting without pain.  I had big plans for shadow training during the down time.  But right now I would be very happy to get up out of a chair without hurting.

I do have a video project in mind entitled "The Four Forehands".  Maybe get to it soon.

Mark - The Shadow knows. But right now he knows to take it easy.
I'm sorry to hear about your back.  Count me also as one of those who was hoping to see more of your shadow stroke videos.  Although, it's more fun when you do it in exotic locations.  Since you can't go anyway, maybe you can't make it more exotic by dressing in funny costumes?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic