Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Club Closed? What are you doing instead of TT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrLee4ATTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLee4ATTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club Closed? What are you doing instead of TT?
    Posted: 03/23/2020 at 8:38am
Now that all the clubs are closed, what are you doing to stay sane and fit?

For me, I’ve tried to get in a walk each day but that hasn’t replaced the workout from a couple of hours of table tennis 6 or 7 days a week. I used to be a runner many years ago but now at close to 60 years old, going for a run isn’t as appealing as it used to be. That’ll probably change as I’m not sleeping as well without TT for almost 2 weeks. 

I work from home and typically don’t go out much other than TT and grocery shopping. I’ve started doing curbside pick up and delivery for the groceries, so that’s been the only other big change for me. 

For better or worse, to pass the time, I’ve been catching some great recorded TT matches on YouTube and binge watching reality TV shows. Started with LEGO Masters and then some oldies, The Great Food Truck Race and Work of Art: The Next Great Artist.

Oh yeah, I did clean my bathroom yesterday... that’s proof positive that these are troubled times. Looking forward to this crisis running it’s course and hopefully getting back to normal...

That’s my story. What’s yours?

Edited by MrLee4ATTC - 03/23/2020 at 8:38am
Lee
Sponsored Links

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:17am
Video games and TV. Great British Baking Show in particular. 
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLee4ATTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

Sounds like you are coping well. For sanity's sake, I am avoiding media coverage beyond essential updates. And I'm spending more time with family.

For fitness, I've reduced caloric intake, and I am walking more. When this all blows over, I don't want to deal with weight gain.

Agreed on the weight gain. I lost more than 30-pounds over a 4 or 5 month timeframe when I first started playing regularly around 3-years ago. I’ve already picked up at least 5 pounds from not playing since last Wednesday... ARGGHHH!!
Lee
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:39am
Before this thing hit the fan I was so excited to play to try my new setup but now its very miserable here because we dont know when we will be able to come back to our clubs.

I'm a healthcare worker and we have so much more OT now due to shortage of staff and influx of new patients. Our hospital had to make the necessary changes to accommodate possible COVID cases. We are in close contact with positive COVID patients and now I'm actually on quarantine due to showing symptoms (waiting to be tested).

I know this thing first hand and I know alot of members here are on the older side so I highly recommend everyone to stay home and limit contact with your family and friends. Its really easy to be a carrier for this virus and pass it on to someone who is immunocompromised.

I very much miss playing and its only been a few weeks. TT is a workout and a stress relief outlet for me among other things. Once I'm no longer quarantined I'll be going back to work again until this thing blows over, hopefully soon.

Edited by DreiZ - 03/23/2020 at 10:48am
Stratus Power Defense ST 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Super Spinpips Chop 2 1.5
Timo Boll ALC ST 84g | H3Neo 2.15 + Ventus Basic 2.0
Samsonov Force Pro BE FL 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Ventus Basic 2.0
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:46am
So far:

The Reluctant Mr. Darwin - David Quammen

I am Dynamite; A Life of Neitzsche - Sue Prideaux

Voltaire's Bastards; The Dictatorship of Reason in the West - John Ralston Saul

Thanks.
"Speed kills but technical speed absolutely annihilates defenders." Mia Hamm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Before this thing hit the fan I was so excited to play to try my new setup but now its very miserable here because we dont know when we will be able to come back to our clubs.

I'm a healthcare worker and we have so much more OT now due to shortage of staff and influx of new patients. Our hospital had to make the necessary changes to accommodate possible COVID cases. We are in close contact with positive COVID patients and now I'm actually on quarantine due to showing symptoms (waiting to be tested).

I know this thing first hand and I know alot of members here are on the older side so I highly recommend everyone to stay home and limit contact with your family and friends. Its really easy to be a carrier for this virus and pass it on to someone who is immunocompromised.

I very much miss playing and its only been a few weeks. TT is a workout and a stress relief outlet for me among other things. Once I'm no longer quarantined I'll be going back to work again until this thing blows over, hopefully soon.

Good luck with everything and though you get paid, there is no real compensation for the risk of falling sick and putting your life in danger.  Thanks for your work and courage.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45/145
FH: T05H 1.9 B
BH: T05H 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:56am
Hi,

We went into a city-wide lockdown, around 2-3 days back ...

So, at home 

• Working
  • House-hold chores
  • Browsing the net, forums etc
  • Binge-watching TV shows
  • Playing cards with family
  • Video-calling friends/Family ..
No Social Distancing for me, I'm Distant Socializing, instead

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:56am
I´m manufacturing my owl hand ball catchers, net ball catchers and robot.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Good luck with everything and though you get paid, there is no real compensation for the risk of falling sick and putting your life in danger.  Thanks for your work and courage.

Thank you,

I'm lucky enough to have a job in these times. Many people in different industries have been laid off and require gov assistance to stay afloat. But you are right, there is no price on health and that's all we have for us.
Stratus Power Defense ST 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Super Spinpips Chop 2 1.5
Timo Boll ALC ST 84g | H3Neo 2.15 + Ventus Basic 2.0
Samsonov Force Pro BE FL 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Ventus Basic 2.0
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 1:06pm
luckily you only need two to play. With school out I've played more days than not, with about 4 other players who aren't playing out of the circle. 

Business has definitely slowed though  
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Thank you,

I'm lucky enough to have a job in these times. Many people in different industries have been laid off and require gov assistance to stay afloat. But you are right, there is no price on health and that's all we have for us.

Lots of logic says you will be at ground zero for this disease - large population, high density, and limited hospitals.  Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45/145
FH: T05H 1.9 B
BH: T05H 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 5:22pm
I do push-ups and planks and table tennis shadow practice with a 15-20kg weighted vest. Also doing resistance band rows and pull-ups. Not sure what else I could be doing...
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLee4ATTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 9:58pm
Day #13 with no table tennis. Just finished season 1 of Work of Art - the Next Great Artist, a tv show on YouTube from around 10 years ago. Pretty entertaining. Wasn’t getting enough exercise from walking so I finally went for my first run earlier today. Warm and sunny out. Got in a real good sweat, which is one of the great benefits from table tennis, at least for me. Nowhere near as much fun as TT but the workout was good and I am looking forward to sleeping better tonight...
Lee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLee4ATTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 5:57am
Has anyone tried the Oculus Eleven Table Tennis virtual reality game? I read about it’s enhanced user experience and am wondering if it’s any good?
Lee
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 10:50am
I'll go out for a walk or jog, keeping my distance from others. In one week I've reduced my 3/4 mile time by 40 seconds.

TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 9:44pm
- Working full time from home (my job allows me to work remotely with very little detriment)
- Increased the number and length of walks with my dog, which makes him and me happier
- Cooking quite a bit
- Connecting with friends via instant messaging apps, including with those I haven't talked to in awhile
- Reestablishing my "relationship" with Robbie, my TT robot - doing 45-60 minutes of practice every day since few days ago
- Visited mytabletennis.net after a very long absence - likely to visit it regularly during COVID-19 lockdown

- BITCHING CONSTANTLY ABOUT MY CLUB BEING CLOSED, LOL

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
fzolesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzolesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 10:41pm
Home office
Cooking
watching series
reading articles
lots of chat and phone with friends an family members
CONVICT CONDITIONING for training

and off course

Stroking and watching my beautiful blades :)
-Palatinus handmade, OSP V carbon CRW , OSP V+, OSP v, OSP ultimate, OSP Musko, OSP Martin, OSP v'king
- Stiga Bengtsson
- Butterfly M.Maze alc , MJ Zlc , TBS
OSP VIRTUOSO CRWI UNI OFF

FH: T80
BH: T80

OSP Blades

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 11:30pm
We’re locked in with my 2 daughters and my wife, with the dog and cat and our 4 chicken. I know it’s not a vacation but it’s not too hard to make it one so the time goes smoother. We try to make the best out of it spending quality time doing simple things and hoping that by the time we get infected, the infrastructure to treat sick people will be upgraded and at full speed in cruise control around the whole USA and world.
It is allowed to go out in state parks in WA but last time we did that so many people had the same idea, it was upsetting to be on a trail an hour driving from the city and be with 100s of people, I felt stupid. Now I take long walks with the dog early in the morning and at night when nobody is on the beach. Simplest, safest is best.

mickd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 11:43pm
Nearly everything is still open in Japan here. Seems like they might be starting up schools again in 2 weeks. Some of the local clubs which closed seem like they'll be starting up then too. Not sure how I feel.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 12:18am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

We’re locked in with my 2 daughters and my wife, with the dog and cat and our 4 chicken. I know it’s not a vacation but it’s not too hard to make it one so the time goes smoother. We try to make the best out of it spending quality time doing simple things and hoping that by the time we get infected, the infrastructure to treat sick people will be upgraded and at full speed in cruise control around the whole USA and world.
It is allowed to go out in state parks in WA but last time we did that so many people had the same idea, it was upsetting to be on a trail an hour driving from the city and be with 100s of people, I felt stupid. Now I take long walks with the dog early in the morning and at night when nobody is on the beach. Simplest, safest is best.

If you're still locked in on 3 weeks, you'll have zero chickens.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 3:52am
I have few non-equipment work out that I used to do at gym.   Now the gym is closed, I just can't do it at home.  No motivation whatsoever, but to my surprise, I lost weight, around 3-4 pounds in a week.  Must be from the stress. LOL
Acoustic
H3-Neo / Mark V
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I have few non-equipment work out that I used to do at gym.   Now the gym is closed, I just can't do it at home.  No motivation whatsoever, but to my surprise, I lost weight, around 3-4 pounds in a week.  Must be from the stress. LOL

I find I have lost weight and feel better from simple home cooking from being at home with unique time to cook.

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

If you're still locked in on 3 weeks, you'll have zero chickens.

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 6:01am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´m manufacturing my owl hand ball catchers, net ball catchers and robot.

ClapClapClap

Some inspiration Big smile

Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLee4ATTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 11:55am
WOW - well done! Looks amazing, are you happy with the way it works?
Lee
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 12:24pm

ClapClapClap
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLee4ATTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

ClapClapClap

Yup - I’ve been trying to replace the exercise by running and walking but they are not a good substitute. Ping pong makes me laugh - table tennis makes me focus... walking lets me think about table tennis and running makes me wish I was playing ping pong! Best of luck to you during your quarantine and always!
Lee
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 5:45am
Originally posted by MrLee4ATTC MrLee4ATTC wrote:

WOW - well done! Looks amazing, are you happy with the way it works?

Don't know, it's not mine. I've found it on instagram and thought it looks amazing, so posted here :)
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic