Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

unexpected benefit from virus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unexpected benefit from virus
    Posted: 03/25/2020 at 3:33pm
According to this article, sports gamblers on betting on Russian table tennis because there are so few sports available right now due to the virus.  I'm not sure why they would still be playing in Russia, but maybe Putin thinks they're immune.

Edited by piligrim - 03/25/2020 at 9:31pm
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 4:09pm
well...benefit to table tennis in the short term only because in the long run, more table tennis players die that way and that would not be a benefit unless we are sure that in the green pastures of our ancestors, we can play with Grubba all day long never tired, never hungry, never thirsty, never missing a shot, always choleeeeeee for the eternity YAY!!!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 4:37pm
I think everything is shutting down for at least a week from March 28.  So this may not last either.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45/145
FH: T05H 1.9 B
BH: T05H 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I think everything is shutting down for at least a week from March 28.  So this may not last either.

Washington State is on a 2 week minimum Stay at home order till April 6. I Fully expect it will be extended beyond that
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 5:38pm

Are you speaking specifically of Russia?  Because I did some Googling and couldn't find anything on that.

The truth is, their media is not very forthcoming on the situation.  They claim 658 infections and did not specify how many deaths in total.  I read several articles about how is it possible that such a large country could have such low numbers, but the best guess is that the infections are being under-reported.  One reporter from Moscow described how, except for closure of schools, most of life was normal, with people out and shopping, etc.

Whether they are telling the truth about their numbers or not, they seem inclined to continue allowing many activities, including professional table tennis.

I read somewhere that ESPN was struggling to fill their cable television channels with really obscure sports and activities.  I wish they would pick up on the Russian TT leagues.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Are you speaking specifically of Russia?  Because I did some Googling and couldn't find anything on that.

The truth is, their media is not very forthcoming on the situation.  They claim 658 infections and did not specify how many deaths in total.  I read several articles about how is it possible that such a large country could have such low numbers, but the best guess is that the infections are being under-reported.  One reporter from Moscow described how, except for closure of schools, most of life was normal, with people out and shopping, etc.

Whether they are telling the truth about their numbers or not, they seem inclined to continue allowing many activities, including professional table tennis.

I read somewhere that ESPN was struggling to fill their cable television channels with really obscure sports and activities.  I wish they would pick up on the Russian TT leagues.

I sometimes follow chess and it is said Putin  announced it on Russian TV on theweekinchess.com if you see their report of the latest candidates round.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/25/2020 at 6:31pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45/145
FH: T05H 1.9 B
BH: T05H 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 6:25pm
I would think we have more insight on pro TT matches than the typical sports bettor. I need to look for some bargain odds.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
piligrim View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 9:32pm

According to this article, sports gamblers on betting on Russian table tennis because there are so few sports available right now due to the virus.  I'm not sure why they would still be playing in Russia, but maybe Putin thinks they're immune.

Putin just dosen't care about people. Goverment in Russia never was care about people
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 4:00am

how is betting a "benefit"?  I just don't think introducing betting into TT is a good idea.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

how is betting a "benefit"?  I just don't think introducing betting into TT is a good idea.
Gambling exists, that's just life.  I don't drink or gamble, but I accept that most of the rest of the world does.

Table tennis lacks sufficient public exposure.  Anything that can improve that exposure is a benefit.

I just wish USATT could convince NBC or ESPN to broadcast more TT while the other sports are down.
serveandswing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serveandswing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 1:51am
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 4:07am
I don't but that was probably the most entertaining piece of mainstream table tennis journalism I've read. 

Fear and Loathing in Online Table Tennis Betting.

Now let's look up this 50 year old Ukrainian wunderkind Dmytro Khairov.

Edited by Simon_plays - 04/02/2020 at 4:07am
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 4:12am
here are my unexpected benefits from the virus:

- tt related physical ailments (knee tendonitis and SIJ dysfunction) resolved themselves due to not playing for such a long time.

- was able to sell my stockpile of tt equipment (15+ rubbers and few blades) on eBay from my EJ days, thank you to whoever bought them.

- was able to clean out my office.

- always wanted to grow out my hair, now I have no choice. Dead

Forgot this one...

- watched every Hou Yingchao video on YouTube to learn his style of play so I’ll be prepared to make my debut with SP chopping on BH. 

Edited by DreiZ - 04/02/2020 at 4:18am
Stratus Power Defense ST 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Super Spinpips Chop 2 1.5
Timo Boll ALC ST 84g | H3Neo 2.15 + Ventus Basic 2.0
Samsonov Force Pro BE FL 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Ventus Basic 2.0
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 29 minutes ago at 5:03pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

here are my unexpected benefits from the virus:

- tt related physical ailments (knee tendonitis and SIJ dysfunction) resolved themselves due to not playing for such a long time.

had exactly the same idea about my old issues with my tennis elbow... LOL
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic