Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Table+Robot in Apartment Noisy for Neighbors?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table+Robot in Apartment Noisy for Neighbors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
22SAS View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22SAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table+Robot in Apartment Noisy for Neighbors?
    Posted: 06/09/2020 at 2:34am
Hello, 

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and have a living area that is completely empty. I have been toying with the idea of getting a table and a Newgy Robot to be able to use comfortably at home. The issue is that there's no good clubs that are close to downtown Portland, the good one is paddle palace but it is like 10 miles from my apartment. 

I have been out of the game for four years and have been wanting to start playing regularly. Plus with the pandemic on, it'd be good exercise as well to be able to do multiball drills with a robot, as well as getting to practice my basics at the same time. The best part about having a setup at home is that I can practice whenever and I don't need to go find a club that is open regularly. 

My only big worry is that constantly hitting the balls during multiball drills can produce noise that may neighbors might get pissed off at. On the other hand I think the noise could probably be masked with some music playing in the background.

What do you guys think? Suggestions from members who live in an apartment and have a table and a robot would be really appreciated. I am trying to set up something that can let me practice on a regular basis. 

Thank You.
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2020 at 2:46am
I don´t know the others but I have never known one single player who practice with a robot INSIDE an apartment...
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2020 at 6:50am
Depends on a TON of variables...are you on the first or second floor? Is there carpet on the ground? What time do you plan on training? How reasonable are your neighbors?

I don't find the Newgy robots to be particularly loud, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the volume of the robot itself, but if you're hopping around for an hour, it could be problematic depending on some of those factors listed above...
Get on the early bird list for my new book: Peak Performance Table Tennis.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2020 at 7:02am
The best investment I have is a full length mirror so that I can see everything that I do in real time. This has helped me to really hone down my strokes, especially with disguising serves. 

Shadow strokes in front of a mirror are unbelievably effective. 
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
22SAS View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22SAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Joo Se Kev Joo Se Kev wrote:

Depends on a TON of variables...are you on the first or second floor? Is there carpet on the ground? What time do you plan on training? How reasonable are your neighbors?

I don't find the Newgy robots to be particularly loud, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the volume of the robot itself, but if you're hopping around for an hour, it could be problematic depending on some of those factors listed above...

Good questions! I am on the third floor, the area is carpeted, I plan to train between 6pm-7pm. I don't know much about neighbors, as I have never met them. 
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 11:50am
I'd go for it then. If they have an issue with it, you can settle it by challenging them to a game!
Get on the early bird list for my new book: Peak Performance Table Tennis.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 6:26am
Are the floors made of 1/4" plywood that if your 3 yr old daughter moves from bedroom to Kutchen, to the ones on floor below, does it already sound like two dozen hungry elephants making a hellbent charge to raid the Kutchen fridge?

If so, then good luck. That is pretty much how a lot of apt type buildings are made.

Edited by BH-Man - 06/11/2020 at 6:27am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 8:54am
Your stomping will be annoying.  Maybe buy something like this:

and put a few layers under your feet. Carpet is not good for your footwork anyway....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic