FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stump the Ump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dyfin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stump the Ump
    Posted: 06/10/2020 at 7:10pm
I heard there was a section in some association website that used to have a section called Stump the Ump with questions. Is this a coaching site for people taking umpire exam ?  Can a person be certified as both a coach and umpire or that is not allowed due to conflict of interest ?  
Sponsored Links

igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 1:07am
Coach, whose kid is to play an event, may not participate in the event as an umpire, just fot ethycal reason.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 1:32am
Anyone can gain any qualification but as Igorponger said better not be both at the same event

Im a coach, a selector, a umpire and a TT sales person
so I have to think what hat Im wearing
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 2:41am
Lots of people who bother to get a coaching certificate also find themselves talked into an umpiring course at some point later on, be it just to be in an advantageous position to handle local league arguments. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 4:25pm
I frequently volunteer to umpire semis or finals and do not give a rat's azz damn who thinks what as I feel it is important to show a presentation to the spectators, even if the spectators are mostly well-informed TTers.

Professional presentation counts, I will do it for damn zero money. It should be felt among the TT community to do so, but I know I am a minority in that kind of thought and actions. I strongly believe both the players and spectators benefit from this, even the tourney organizer.

It is amazing what a well umpired match can express narration and suspense to everyone involved.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Maxem View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2020 at 1:24pm
[QUOTE=BH-Man]

Professional presentation counts, I will do it for damn zero money.  [QUOTE]

I don't follow what you are trying to say .  Are you saying you want to dance like some police officers do at traffic intersections ? 

I have no problem if we have a person walking around the court at the end of every game like a person does in boxing indicating the round
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Coach, whose kid is to play an event, may not participate in the event as an umpire, just fot ethycal reason.

I'm not certain where you got that one from. But that is not adhered to in the England.
But then again, every player in England umpires matches most Team league matches and tournament that they participate in. Plus they have been doing this from they started competition whether at 8yo or as an adult.
>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.
Darker Speed90 with T05H/Dignics05 and Darker Imperial with D80/D05.

Delusion is an asset
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Maxem Maxem wrote:

[QUOTE=BH-Man]

Professional presentation counts, I will do it for damn zero money.  [QUOTE]

I don't follow what you are trying to say .  Are you saying you want to dance like some police officers do at traffic intersections ? 

I have no problem if we have a person walking around the court at the end of every game like a person does in boxing indicating the round

Dude, I do not follow what you are trying to say. No reasonable person would connect my willingness to umpire a semis or finals match with professional presentation free of cost for a willingness to do some of the things you suggest that have zero connection or logical relevance to my statement.

I could give you a few suggestions on what you could do if you want to go there. You are showing yourself to be given to extreme fancies in thought and appear to have zero knowledge of what a professionally umpired match presentation looks like.

Show me some coherent thoughts and viewpoints and we can talk.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 11:35am
While I have not played in tournaments for a while, I had definitely played against someone whose coach acted as the umpire of the match.  The "ethics" is the coach can only act as the umpire and not coach during that match.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic