Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to play in a tournament ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to play in a tournament ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to play in a tournament ?
    Posted: 07/21/2020 at 10:17pm
I played some ping pong and know many players when I lived in Toronto.
My brother is 17. He thinks he is good (don't we all) & wants to see if he can play in a tournament.
I was told that you have to join some club or association as a member before you play in a tournament.
Is this true ?  
He is moving to Buffalo and since it is in US, can he play in tournaments there ? I was told if you join in one country you can play in all countries using same racket.

I am confused about all this as I also hold the racket with fingers on the back and hit the ball even on my left side using same side of racket. Is this allowed ? Someone told me I have to use both sides if you are not Chinese or Korean ? 

Can I use racket with any color ? My grandfather says it has to be same color two sides even if you do not use it. My father played in tournaments in Europe when he worked there  and he said they changed the rule to use only red & blue rubbers that are smooth and not needles like they had old days 
Sponsored Links

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2020 at 10:41pm
I'm not sure about if you need to join an organization, but I think I do remember signing up for USATT before my first tournament. That will let you play USATT sanctioned tournaments in the US. If a tournament isn't official, you can most likely play without being a USATT member. You can also use any racket with any rubbers on the current ITTF List of Approved Racket Coverings. This includes many pimpled and smooth rubbers.

You can hold the racket and hit the ball however you want as well. Traditionally penhold users (more common in East/South Asian countries) only use one side, but that doesn't mean ONLY they can use one side. So you can hit the ball in the way you described, it is just not very common since it not an ideal way to hold the racket and hit the ball.

You also HAVE to have both rubbers different colors (black and red). If you only have one rubber on your racket, you must color the other side of the blade black or red - the color that you don't have on the front. You also aren't allowed to hit the ball with that side. 40+ years ago you could use rubbers of the same color (this helped with deception and was especially popular with antispin twiddlers in the 70s and 80s) or any color you wanted. You also could hit with the wooden side of your racket if you had one, but those things are no longer allowed.

-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

I'm not sure about if you need to join an organization, but I think I do remember signing up for USATT before my first tournament. That will let you play USATT sanctioned tournaments in the US. If a tournament isn't official, you can most likely play without being a USATT member. You can also use any racket with any rubbers on the current ITTF List of Approved Racket Coverings. This includes many pimpled and smooth rubbers.

You can hold the racket and hit the ball however you want as well. Traditionally penhold users (more common in East/South Asian countries) only use one side, but that doesn't mean ONLY they can use one side. So you can hit the ball in the way you described, it is just not very common since it not an ideal way to hold the racket and hit the ball.

You also HAVE to have both rubbers different colors (black and red). If you only have one rubber on your racket, you must color the other side of the blade black or red - the color that you don't have on the front. You also aren't allowed to hit the ball with that side. 40+ years ago you could use rubbers of the same color (this helped with deception and was especially popular with antispin twiddlers in the 70s and 80s) or any color you wanted. You also could hit with the wooden side of your racket if you had one, but those things are no longer allowed.

Thanks for your reply but we are in Canada (Quebec) at the moment. Only my brother will move to Buffalo

Where do we join ? Join what ?

Anyway it does not make sense that you have to have two colors . Why ?

Also you said only red and black colors allowed . I am confused about this because when I surfed this blog I am someone said they were selling ping and green rubbers ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2020 at 11:07pm
I don't know how tournaments are organized in Canada, so I can't answer that part. A web search will most likely give you the answers you are looking for. Trying to register for a tournament will also most likely result in someone telling you what you have to do.

However, if your brother wants to play in official tournaments in the US, he would most likely have to become a USATT member. That will probably be taken care of when he tries to register for his first tournament. If not, he can search "USATT registration" online to find out how to register. 

Also, the two color rule was implemented since having two same color rubbers with drastically different playing qualities was considered too potent a weapon that removed some competitiveness from the game. I don't know the word for word justification from the ITTF at the time, but basically it was that allowing the same color rubber on both sides made it too easy to win by just using trickery with weird rubbers. They also specified red and black because the different rubber dyes (green, purple, honey gold, etc) changed the way the rubbers played slightly, so ITTF wanted to remove that inconsistency from the game. The green rubbers you saw for sale were most likely rubbers from before the rule was implemented, or some cheap non-approved rubbers on a department store racket.
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2020 at 11:29pm

I don't know how tournaments are organized in Canada, so I can't answer that part. A web search will most likely give you the answers you are looking for. Trying to register for a tournament will also most likely result in someone telling you what you have to do.

However, if your brother wants to play in official tournaments in the US, he would most likely have to become a USATT member. That will probably be taken care of when he tries to register for his first tournament. If not, he can search "USATT registration" online to find out how to register. 

Also, the two color rule was implemented since having two same color rubbers with drastically different playing qualities was considered too potent a weapon that removed some competitiveness from the game. I don't know the word for word justification from the ITTF at the time, but basically it was that allowing the same color rubber on both sides made it too easy to win by just using trickery with weird rubbers. They also specified red and black because the different rubber dyes (green, purple, honey gold, etc) changed the way the rubbers played slightly, so ITTF wanted to remove that inconsistency from the game. The green rubbers you saw for sale were most likely rubbers from before the rule was implemented, or some cheap non-approved rubbers on a department store racket.

Thanks for info about USATT. That helps later.
But as far now I was told by someone to go to a website called https://ttcanada.ca/  but no information about membership . I will check Government of Canada website & Quebec Government websites

As far as rubber colors other than black & red, I saw this 

Above posted was in year 2020 though I do not understand why he bought 20 rubbers of each. It is like he was in a candy shop. Why does he need so many rubbers ?

I am not an expert on ping pong but I have to respectfully disagree about having to use two colors. Seems to me like ping pong is a game of many trick spins. If you are going to become a professional I would expect one to understand spins coming from your opponent & I have no idea what rubber colors have anything to do with this. Sounds so funny.

BTW I would be very careful if you were using a posting handle like Chairman Meow.  Maybe you were born in USA and think that is funny but Asian cultures are kind of funny (pun intended) and that may not like you making fun of elders. If you ever plan to visit mainland China,  I would think twice. I heard pingpong is life and death for Chinese & I am sure the Chinese government is tracking this website closely & watching your postings waiting for you to slip up. Just saying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 12:04am
That new rubber color rule is news to me. It will be interesting for sure. However, one side still needs to be black.

I also agree that having the same color rubber isn't an advantage at a high level. Most decent players judge the spin and sound rather than the color of the rubber. But it's very easy to get points against weaker players if they don't know if you have antispin or regular rubber, so I can see the motivation. Tricks and mastery of changing spin are important, but disguising the racket so weaker players can't tell until you hit the ball can be frustrating.

Also, thanks for your concern but I've never had an issue with my username that many Asian friends have seen, and I don't plan on going to China anytime soon (especially with the current situation).
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Tisch Tisch wrote:

Thanks for info about USATT. That helps later.
But as far now I was told by someone to go to a website called https://ttcanada.ca/  but no information about membership . I will check Government of Canada website & Quebec Government websites

As far as rubber colors other than black & red, I saw this 

Above posted was in year 2020 though I do not understand why he bought 20 rubbers of each. It is like he was in a candy shop. Why does he need so many rubbers ?

I am not an expert on ping pong but I have to respectfully disagree about having to use two colors. Seems to me like ping pong is a game of many trick spins. If you are going to become a professional I would expect one to understand spins coming from your opponent & I have no idea what rubber colors have anything to do with this. Sounds so funny.

BTW I would be very careful if you were using a posting handle like Chairman Meow.  Maybe you were born in USA and think that is funny but Asian cultures are kind of funny (pun intended) and that may not like you making fun of elders. If you ever plan to visit mainland China,  I would think twice. I heard pingpong is life and death for Chinese & I am sure the Chinese government is tracking this website closely & watching your postings waiting for you to slip up. Just saying

The 2 color rule has been around since the 1980's. Its not like it's a new rule. The above link about the new different colors that were supposed to be released after the 2020 summer Olympics. Since they were postponed I don't know what the current status of the release date.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 9:12am
Each USATT-sanctioned tournament publishes a prospectus in which the rules for participation are outlined. In some tournaments (like the US Open) you can buy a 1-time "membership" from USATT so you don't have to become a full member to play. The general table tennis rules are published at this link: https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/rules
and everyone is expected to follow them at tournaments. This includes the rules for how to serve correctly, etc.
Sanwei Fextra, Nittaku FastArc G1 / Moristo SP
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by ejprinz ejprinz wrote:

Each USATT-sanctioned tournament publishes a prospectus in which the rules for participation are outlined. In some tournaments (like the US Open) you can buy a 1-time "membership" from USATT so you don't have to become a full member to play. The general table tennis rules are published at this link: https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/rules
and everyone is expected to follow them at tournaments. This includes the rules for how to serve correctly, etc.

Thanks but ChairmanMeow already gave me information on how to join USATT or something. But for now I am primarily looking for playing in Canadian tournaments and how to go about it.

I thought this was a Canadian forum but all I get is reply about USA again & again. (You yourself are in Texas, which is Mexican border........what is next , someone will post how I can play in Mexico , Ha Ha Just kidding sorry) 

Are any Canadians even posting here ?  It cannot (or should not) be that hard to explain how to play in a ping pong tournament in Canada.

The more I post here the more I get confused. Someone else emailed me and said that may be because ping pong is not the same table tennis & I am wasting my time in the wrong forum
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 12:43pm

Thanks but ChairmanMeow already gave me information on how to join USATT or something. But for now I am primarily looking for playing in Canadian tournaments and how to go about it.

I thought this was a Canadian forum but all I get is reply about USA again & again. (You yourself are in Texas, which is Mexican border........what is next , someone will post how I can play in Mexico , Ha Ha Just kidding sorry) 

Are any Canadians even posting here ?  It cannot (or should not) be that hard to explain how to play in a ping pong tournament in Canada.

The more I post here the more I get confused. Someone else emailed me and said that may be because ping pong is not the same table tennis & I am wasting my time in the wrong forum

Here’s a idea. Instead of complaining about the answers you are getting here you could your own research for Table Tennis Clubs in Quebec. You can also go to bctta.ca . I’m
not sure why would think this forum was strictly a Canadian TT forum?

https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Here’s a idea. Instead of complaining about the answers you are getting here you could your own research for Table Tennis Clubs in Quebec. You can also go to bctta.ca . I’m

WOW another American poster (Washington)

I also did not realize Quebec City (where I am located) was in the province of British Columbia LOL

Anyway I am not not complaining or want to get  into fights over anyone.

Forgive me for thinking there would be a Canadian (in a Canadian forum) that would give me a straight answer about prerequisites for joining a tournament in Canada (not USA).

As I stated before, I researched clubs in Quebec or many other provinces.No website tells me how to join just as ttcanada site.  If you have a link let me know.

I know I can email them but thought I could get an answer instantly here since there has to be some Canadian players here who play in tournaments in Canada (not USA) .

I guess not

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 2:47pm
If you are trying to find information about Canada, it may be a good idea to specify that in the title of the thread and in your original post instead of bringing up how your brother is going to move to Buffalo (the reason I responded with respect to the US in the first place). That way, people browsing the forum from Canada could easily see what you are asking for. Right now, the only way someone would know that you are asking about Canada specifically is to click on and read this thread, which many people wouldn't do based on the nondescript title.

I am not sure why you think this is a Canadian forum. A simple WHOIS lookup shows that this website is registered out of Texas. Regardless, it should be expected that an internet forum with tens of thousands of members would be international.

Admittedly, I have also looked at Canadian websites out of curiosity and have not really found much information. However, there should be no problem for you as long as you get an answer before you go for your first tournament. Once again, I am sure that if you try to register for a tournament in Canada, the person or software in charge of registration will tell you what you need to do and how you need to do it. You could also send the Canadian table tennis governing body an email and continue to wait for a reply on this website and to the email.
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 3:48pm

If you are trying to find information about Canada, it may be a good idea to specify that in the title of the thread and in your original post instead of bringing up how your brother is going to move to Buffalo (the reason I responded with respect to the US in the first place). That way, people browsing the forum from Canada could easily see what you are asking for. Right now, the only way someone would know that you are asking about Canada specifically is to click on and read this thread, which many people wouldn't do based on the nondescript title.

I am not sure why you think this is a Canadian forum. A simple WHOIS lookup shows that this website is registered out of Texas. Regardless, it should be expected that an internet forum with tens of thousands of members would be international.

Admittedly, I have also looked at Canadian websites out of curiosity and have not really found much information. However, there should be no problem for you as long as you get an answer before you go for your first tournament. Once again, I am sure that if you try to register for a tournament in Canada, the person or software in charge of registration will tell you what you need to do and how you need to do it. You could also send the Canadian table tennis governing body an email and continue to wait for a reply on this website and to the email.

I apologize for misunderstanding. As I explained in my second post , he is moving to Buffalo only later, For now we both want play ONLY in Canada.

As far as contacting various groups in Canada, I said in my previous post that that was the slower next step & I thought there would be many Canadians here who can help me HERE , NOW and not send me on a wild goose chase

As far as this being Canadian forum, I researched this forum and  seems like the owner of this form is Canada. Am I mistaken ?   But is OK with me if there are no Canadians here. It was my wrong assumption. I will assume there are no Canadians here who are willing to help me here & move on to directly contacting clubs. 

It is still puzzling though, that noone would give a straight simple answer as to whether I should join the National Association TTCanada or a Provincial Association before we would be allowed to play in a tournament in Canada. If noone wants to answer it is OK. I will leave

Edited by Tisch - 07/22/2020 at 3:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 4:05pm
Nobody is saying that you should leave, and nobody is trying to withhold answers from you. I'm sure there are many Canadians in this forum, they just might not know you are looking for their input. Again, to someone just scrolling through the recent threads, it would be impossible to tell that you are looking for information on prerequisites to playing a tournament in Canada. If you change the title to something targeted at Canadians (such as "How do I register for a tournament in Canada?"), you may get more relevant responses.

I am not Canadian, but I do think that for official tournaments it is quite likely you will have to become a member of some sort of table tennis governing body in Canada. Not every tournament is official though, so depending on what tournaments you play, the answer to your question can change.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 6:18pm

I also did not realize Quebec City (where I am located) was in the province of British Columbia LOL

Forgive me for thinking there would be a Canadian (in a Canadian forum) that would give me a straight answer about prerequisites for joining a tournament in Canada (not USA).

As I stated before, I researched clubs in Quebec or many other provinces.No website tells me how to join just as ttcanada site.  If you have a link let me know.

I know I can email them but thought I could get an answer instantly here since there has to be some Canadian players here who play in tournaments in Canada (not USA) .

I guess not

We have Canadian members.  It's possible that they are too polite to reply to you. 
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 7:29pm
You have to be member of provincial TT association. In your case this is:
https://tennisdetable.ca/
they have all information about tournaments
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 7:33pm

am not sure why you think this is a Canadian forum. A simple WHOIS lookup shows that this website is registered out of Texas.

Actually it is Canadian forum since forum owner from Canada and before was Alextabletennis store in Toronto does where from forum came
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I guess not

We have Canadian members.  It's possible that they are too polite to reply to you. 

I don't know what this means 
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Thanks for trying . But no.

Ontario TT has a better information. And it includes membership info for all provinces and that is not included in Quebec website & this is why I could not find it .

In contrast I went to USATT website as someone suggested. There it seems like it is centralized for teh whole country. Not sure why it is separate for each province in Canada. I am new to all this , so I do not know maybe political.  I was only more confused about things called ranking , rating etc. I thought they were the same

Anyway at least I have the information 
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 8:55pm

Ontario TT has a better information. And it includes membership info for all provinces and that is not included in Quebec website & this is why I could not find it .

In contrast I went to USATT website as someone suggested. There it seems like it is centralized for teh whole country. Not sure why it is separate for each province in Canada. I am new to all this , so I do not know maybe political.  I was only more confused about things called ranking , rating etc. I thought they were the same

If you leave in Quebec you should deal with Quebec TT association. Why you look at Ontario? Ontario TT has information only about Ontario, not for all provinces. You asked for help but looks like you know better then me ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 10:23pm

am not sure why you think this is a Canadian forum. A simple WHOIS lookup shows that this website is registered out of Texas.

Actually it is Canadian forum since forum owner from Canada and before was Alextabletennis store in Toronto does where from forum came

Oh, I didn't know that. I just saw his name next to a Texas address for the website registration details. Thanks for the information.
Tisch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2020 at 10:33pm

If you leave in Quebec you should deal with Quebec TT association. Why you look at Ontario? Ontario TT has information only about Ontario, not for all provinces. You asked for help but looks like you know better then me ...

You have been very helpful in your first post but it deteriorated . I clearly stated I looked at Quebec FIRST and that info was not there (feel free to post page link, not Quebec TT site link if I am wrong) .
Quebec site has lot of items that says "Details to come"
Then I went to Ontario & it lists membership signup for ALL provinces.

It was funny you asked as to why I was checking Ontario . Gee I did not know it was illegal or a secret LOL  

Now don't check Quebec TT website behind my back. 
You are not allowed,  unless you live in Quebec LOL  

Edited by Tisch - 07/22/2020 at 11:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic