Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Best (not TT related)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My Best (not TT related)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Best (not TT related)
    Posted: 07/27/2020 at 7:23pm
As you grow old you look back on life.
For me that view cuts my soul like a knife.
For it is so obvious for one and all to see,
Nothing but a failure have I managed to be.

An All-star in little league but nothing beyond
Because of the good curve I was never fond.
Number 1 on my high school tennis team
But at college not good enough it would seem.

A local league champion bowling on oiled lane.
But tried and tried for even semi-pro in vain.
Kayaking was inspiring and made me feel free.
But certified as guide and instructor never came to be.

High school valedictorian with scholarship to  college
Only to drop out several times and leave with minimal knowledge.
Worked up to position normally for those with degree
But during the layoff I was one of the ones set free.

Once a wizard at the  computer in days of DOS.
But now with Windows, at the keyboard I am at a loss.
Returned to table tennis after years and years away.
Yet despite uncountable hours of training never even1900 did play.

Never had a true best friend forever and a day
Just fond acquaintances who quitely drifted away
Never found the one true love or any love at all.
Never even found anyone interested in getting a second call.

My parents were marvellous and so caring.
I tried to make them proud with my daring.
But my failures hurt them so very deeply.
Even at their death I served them too cheaply.
And of all the disappointing failures I was in
Worst was never giving them grandchildren.

So if I should do that at which I am best
I must keep finding new things and not rest.
For in the new I will fail and look a joker
For my best is just a life that is mediocre.

Mark - For whom failure is an option, the only option

Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 8:28pm
Love you poetry.  

We could start a Gofundme page and see if we could get enough money to buy you a friend.  If we get more than a million we might be able to buy you a girlfriend.  Maybe get one with a baby so you could change diapers.LOL
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

As you grow old you look back on life.
For me that view cuts my soul like a knife.
For it is so obvious for one and all to see,
Nothing but a failure have I managed to be.

An All-star in little league but nothing beyond
Because of the good curve I was never fond.
Number 1 on my high school tennis team
But at college not good enough it would seem.

A local league champion bowling on oiled lane.
But tried and tried for even semi-pro in vain.
Kayaking was inspiring and made me feel free.
But certified as guide and instructor never came to be.

High school valedictorian with scholarship to  college
Only to drop out several times and leave with minimal knowledge.
Worked up to position normally for those with degree
But during the layoff I was one of the ones set free.

Once a wizard at the  computer in days of DOS.
But now with Windows, at the keyboard I am at a loss.
Returned to table tennis after years and years away.
Yet despite uncountable hours of training never even1900 did play.

Never had a true best friend forever and a day
Just fond acquaintances who quitely drifted away
Never found the one true love or any love at all.
Never even found anyone interested in getting a second call.

My parents were marvellous and so caring.
I tried to make them proud with my daring.
But my failures hurt them so very deeply.
Even at their death I served them too cheaply.
And of all the disappointing failures I was in
Worst was never giving them grandchildren.

So if I should do that at which I am best
I must keep finding new things and not rest.
For in the new I will fail and look a joker
For my best is just a life that is mediocre.

Mark - For whom failure is an option, the only option

You've succeeded in inspiring me and many others. You promote a positive, healthy sport.

I learned basic on a commodore vic20. The general concepts I teach are the same now, more or less. High school is pretty basic.

Edited by cole_ely - 07/27/2020 at 11:52pm
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 12:09am
It is beautiful how you take life and the game seriously but yourself, never; it's a path.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2020 at 8:36pm
Hi mjamja, how are you? travelling? visiting places? now that tt, a huge part of you life, is shut down for a while, I assume you are going through a healthy and spiritual loneliness. Even though I am no more than a fan of your trips and stories on the forum, I feel today closer to you than ever and I hope you are creative and inspired enough to find happiness despite today is harder on people like you. I renew my invitation to spend time on Alki in Seattle if you want. I'll let you use the full mother-in-law with independent entrance for a couple weeks free of charge of course. I close the pool in October and the hot tub is available year long. I'll help you cleaning the van that you will tune up good for the next part of your table tennis journey. My buddy Jay-Jay might want to make friends with you; you 2 will get along I am sure.

Thank you for all what you are for the game, this forum and me.

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2020 at 9:08pm
Thanks for your concern Stiltt.  I have my trailer parked in the warehouse compound that houses the Willamette TT Club in Salem, Or.  The club is open 3 days a week, but I have chosen not to play during regular club hours.  I have permission to play 2 times a week on days the club is not open.  I play one on one with either of 2 players (2000 level) that have also chosen to not play during regular hours.  One or two days I play just before club hours with another player.  Often we get to play alone even well into the first hour of club play before anyone else shows up.  Once a couple of other players come in I leave.   

We play in a large warehouse with roll-up truck doors on opposite sides that we open during play.  A large fan at one door is also used to create air circulation.   I feel pretty safe considering the size of the building and the cross ventilation (air flow is across table not from either end).  Still, I do not want to be in there when 8-10 people are playing.  I may be deceiving myself as too how safe it is, but we all have to make decisions about how isolated we need to be.

I am doing a lot of kayaking on Willamette River in Salem and hiking in some of the hilly neighborhoods.  I also ride my bicycle around the neighborhood near the club twice a week.  Streets are canopied by huge trees on both sides of the streets.  Four weeks ago I spent 4 days at a state park near Coos Bay.  I got to paddle 3 times and do a hike through part of the Oregon Dunes National Rec area.  Next week I am spending 5 days just south of Bend, Or.  Hope to get in one long bicycle ride along the edge of a huge lava field, a river paddle, a paddle in the caldera lake in Newberry Volcano, and a couple of hikes.

So you can see I am staying pretty busy.  If I keep this up through Sept I may end up in the best physical shape I have been in years.

Mark - Busy but not accomplishing anything of significance.

Edited by mjamja - 08/15/2020 at 9:10pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2020 at 10:30pm
I am impressed, you sound more solid than ever, congratulations to you and your Salem friends for going through this the best by playing safe. 
Did you have conversations beforehand to build trust? I imagine a sort of contract based on the honor system where people entrust their life to each other by promising to adhere to an adequate code of conduct re. covid.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2020 at 11:45pm

... we all have to make decisions about how isolated we need to be.
I read again and this is so central to define who we are: social animals before all, you paint it beautifully.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 4:01pm
Mjamja,

Did you really have all those experiences?  Wow, you were busy and quite accomplished.

Edited by tom - 08/18/2020 at 5:04pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2020 at 9:07pm

Thanks for your concern Stiltt.  I have my trailer parked in the warehouse compound that houses the Willamette TT Club in Salem, Or.  The club is open 3 days a week, but I have chosen not to play during regular club hours.  I have permission to play 2 times a week on days the club is not open.  I play one on one with either of 2 players (2000 level) that have also chosen to not play during regular hours.  One or two days I play just before club hours with another player.  Often we get to play alone even well into the first hour of club play before anyone else shows up.  Once a couple of other players come in I leave.   

We play in a large warehouse with roll-up truck doors on opposite sides that we open during play.  A large fan at one door is also used to create air circulation.   I feel pretty safe considering the size of the building and the cross ventilation (air flow is across table not from either end).  Still, I do not want to be in there when 8-10 people are playing.  I may be deceiving myself as too how safe it is, but we all have to make decisions about how isolated we need to be.

I am doing a lot of kayaking on Willamette River in Salem and hiking in some of the hilly neighborhoods.  I also ride my bicycle around the neighborhood near the club twice a week.  Streets are canopied by huge trees on both sides of the streets.  Four weeks ago I spent 4 days at a state park near Coos Bay.  I got to paddle 3 times and do a hike through part of the Oregon Dunes National Rec area.  Next week I am spending 5 days just south of Bend, Or.  Hope to get in one long bicycle ride along the edge of a huge lava field, a river paddle, a paddle in the caldera lake in Newberry Volcano, and a couple of hikes.

So you can see I am staying pretty busy.  If I keep this up through Sept I may end up in the best physical shape I have been in years.

Mark - Busy but not accomplishing anything of significance.

Smart.  Sadly  I'm stuck here.  At what remains one of the global centers of the pandemic.   After all, everything is bigger in Texas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic