Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 50 Bucks buddy!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

50 Bucks buddy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 Bucks buddy!
    Posted: 07/31/2020 at 12:55pm
Hi,

A club I am aware of is reopening with the requirement that upon completion of your play you sanitize the table prior to leaving.  Those not in compliance with this regulation are subject to a $50 fine.

Of side relevance: Yesterday, Dr. Fauci submitted to our country the recommendation to wear goggles if one is in possession of this item.

Thanks. 
Technique is a false culture.
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

A club I am aware of is reopening with the requirement that upon completion of your play you sanitize the table prior to leaving.  Those not in compliance with this regulation are subject to a $50 fine.

Of side relevance: Yesterday, Dr. Fauci submitted to our country the recommendation to wear goggles if one is in possession of this item.

Thanks. 
How do they collect the fine Shocked

Ya, rumor has it that Coronavirus may enter through your eyes.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2020 at 5:05am
It is not a rumor.

I just attended a webinar by a doctor who said that the entering passages of COVID virus into your body are through mouth, nose and eyes.

Therefore masker is strongly required.   As for glasses or face shield, it is required in a crowded place. 
Acoustic
V-Pro / AK-47

Clipper
Mark V / Mark V
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

It is not a rumor.

I just attended a webinar by a doctor who said that the entering passages of COVID virus into your body are through mouth, nose and eyes.

Therefore masker is strongly required.   As for glasses or face shield, it is required in a crowded place. 

We should be thankful it doesn't come out of the eyes at least...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:28am

Hi,

Thanks. 

As efforts have been extended to identify "The best mask for playing table tennis," perhaps a similar initiative may be embarked upon for identifying "The best goggles for playing table tennis."

In the COVID-19 stipulations in the aforementioned club is this statement: 

. . . those who are over the age of 65 or those who have chronic medical conditions-take extra precaution or refrain from use of the facility.

In the U.S., keeping those disease-prone seniors from exposing others is a critical strategy for table tennis in this era, as is shielding the healthy from the 88% of Americans who have metabolic syndrome dysfunction.  

Advocating these advanced-aged and physically-flawed to refrain from entering USATT clubs should be under consideration at the national level by the USATT, the national governing body for the sport.

Thanks.
Technique is a false culture.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 16 minutes ago at 10:04am
If you click on the link at the top left of the homepage on what you need to know about SARS-COV-2,  I pointed out back in April that airborne respiratory viruses can enter via the eyes.  The virus adheres to the moist layer on the surface of the conjunctiva and from there drains through a little duct into the nose in the immediate vicinity of cells that express ACE-2, which is the main way this coronavirus enters cells.  I've never seen any actual data on how common it might be for people to be infected this way.  Dr. Fauci of course would be in a far better position to know about unpublished stuff.  

You'll notice health care personnel in Covid-19 ICU units always where eye protection.   This is more important if you are closer to a known source of the virus and/or stay  there for longer periods of time.       
For those of us going about daily lives masks are reallly important especially in indoor spaces.  There was a report a few weeks back of a hair salon where two of the stylists had Covid-19 with mild symptoms and came to work anyway.   They work masks, so did their clients.   None of the clients were infected.  Luck?  Maybe.  But sometimes people make their own luck. 

As for me, I'm not buying any goggles.   I wear good masks and I spend the absolute minimum amount of time in any indoor space outside if my house or closed door office at work. 

TT?  Well, you have the info.  You are all adults.   

Just be aware that there are not just two possible outcomes in Covid-19, in general terms there are four:  1.  You recover fully or barely get sick.  2.  You get badly sick for awhile but recover fully.  3.  You get sick for a variable length of time and end up with serious health issues like scarred lungs , kidney failure, neurological problems or heart inflammation (like a recent Boston Red Sox player.  4.  You die, respiratory failure, thrombotic issues causing heart attacks orstrokes, or multi-organ failure . 

I've actually not seen any data on how common outcome 3 is.  

Edited by Baal - 20 hours 5 minutes ago at 10:15am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 9 minutes ago at 10:11am
One other thing,  as far as is known, age does not affect likelihood of an infected person spreading the disease. It definitely impacts how likely people are to have life threatening symptoms. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 33 minutes ago at 11:47am
i think young people are less likely to get it because less ace receptors, but if they do get it they spread the same. Is that a fair interpretatiin?
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 41 minutes ago at 2:39pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

i think young people are less likely to get it because less ace receptors, but if they do get it they spread the same. Is that a fair interpretatiin?

Partly right.

Early on there were data from China suggesting that young people are less likely to be infected, at least compared to middle-aged people, and it seems quite certain they are less likely to exhibit severe effects and some will never develop symptoms, or maybe they have a sore throat or a cough for a day.  The idea that kids are resistant to infection seems to no longer to be a consensus view, most likely because a lot more kids are being tested.

It seems likely that if they are infected they are equally likely to spread it to other people.  There is some evidence for this from contact studies in various places.  More anecdotally, you might have seen some of the recent reports of kids getting infected in massive numbers at various summer camps (and in a few schools, for example in Israel).

The evidence of age-related change in ACE-2 expression based on gene expression studies (which is a bit indirect) looks to be a bit contradictory.  There are reports saying it is higher in young people based on large sample sizes in a lot of people and various tissues.

as well as several reports it is lower in young children, at least in the nasal epithelium, which is a pretty important place for infection to occur.  For example, this one.

The age-related susceptibility to something like SARS-CoV2 will be dependent on lots of molecules, though, not just one.  No point in going into that in detail here, but there are quite a few that are implicated.  Normally, at least in adults, high ACE-2 levels are protective, even though it is the pathway (or one of the pathways) that the virus uses to get into cells. ACE-2 on cell surfaces tends to result in production of signals that protect small blood vessels in organs and tends to stop all the clots from forming.

Edited by Baal - 15 hours 35 minutes ago at 2:45pm
sunila View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 6 minutes ago at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. 
How do they collect the fine Shocked

Ya, rumor has it that Coronavirus may enter through your eyes.

There are lot of mask designs available that are a single piece to cover mouth nose & ears. I have a few. But the best design I have seen but don't have yet,  is the attached one , where the top of eyes & bottom of the mouth have strings going behind the ear .

I always wondered why they don't have masks to cover ears but I found out there is little risk thru ears

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic