Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fall in love with hard wood blade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Fall in love with hard wood blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall in love with hard wood blade
    Posted: 08/26/2020 at 4:15pm
I recently tried my in stock for a long time Stiga rosewood XO, and loved the feeling a lot. I like the crisp and solid feel when contacting the ball. I am thinking to try ebony wood.
In what order  the hardness of these woods are:
Walnut, rosewood, ebony, maplewood

Which hard wood blade do you recommend? 

Edited by kindof99 - 08/26/2020 at 10:40pm
Sponsored Links

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 8:10pm
google "wood janka"

i believe ebony is the hardest of the ones you mentioned
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 9:02pm
For an all wood blade with hard outer veneers the Andro Gauzy blade is hard to beat . It has Ebony outer veneers but is still very playable.
Kenta ALC T05H/T05
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 10:25pm
I had a similar experience when I transitioned from Limba to Koto top veneer, so crisp.
Dignics 05 | Timo Boll ZLC | Dignics 05
Feedbacks
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 10:45pm
I have tried walnut and koto blades before, but rosewood is another story. I have a DHS PG15 with ebenholz top layer. Will give it a try.

The Andro Gauzy has good reviews, but a lot of people said that it is too stiff. Not sure that I will give it a try.
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by SmileTT SmileTT wrote:

I had a similar experience when I transitioned from Limba to Koto top veneer, so crisp.

Btw, Limba with Stiga VPS treatment gives pretty much the same crisp feel as koto.
Stiga Rosewood XO, FH: Sanwei Target National MAX, BH: 729 Presto MAX Spin
Stiga Celero, FH: DHS Hurricane 8 H40, BH: 729 Presto MAX Spin
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

I recently tried my in stock for a long time Stiga rosewood XO, and loved the feeling a lot. I like the crisp and solid feel when contacting the ball. I am thinking to try ebony wood.

You need to consider other factors. I always thought limba or hinoki are softest top ply until one day I tried Limba VPS, all of the sudden - it plays like koto.

I did not have a chance to play with all woods you mentioned but here is my take:

walnut ("no name" brand) - slightly muted feeling, however still pleasant, not crisp.
ebony (Stiga Ebenholz V) - as crisp and sharp as it can get. Direct rebound, wonderful blocking. Feels really hard, requires time to get used to it. Quite overwhelming actually.
rosewood (XO) - you know it already.

Ep/Ec and Vp/Vl ratios of actual blades are more important than "yankas" and "monins" of wood itself.
Stiga Rosewood XO, FH: Sanwei Target National MAX, BH: 729 Presto MAX Spin
Stiga Celero, FH: DHS Hurricane 8 H40, BH: 729 Presto MAX Spin
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 1:43pm
It is not just the wood hardness, but also the surface treatment and the gluing.

Stiga originally started doing their surface treatments because they wanted to use cheaper grade of wood since surface treatment masks that, but a lot of people liked the feel.

Personally I do not like the feel of treated wood too much, but it might be psychological.  I switched back to the hard outer wood ply Mazunov a couple of years ago and I am enjoying it immensely.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 4:17pm
Ross Leidy once made me a 5-ply blade with soft to hard from the core, it was a kiri core and ipe outer, I don’t remember the inner atm. It was great for a quick game close to the table to have the expected power and that rigid feel demanding precision. Softer blades will forgive a lack of commitment but to play good with that experiment forced me to never hesitate with the motto: « better miss entirely and know why than winning safely in the fog.»
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2020 at 8:30am
I keep trying to talk my suppliers into making a maple blade like pf4, but neither Air nor Yinhe have them to my knowledge.  I'd like to sell a pf4 copy
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2020 at 5:43pm
I like players like Koshkin who know what they like and can articulate it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2020 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Yes, the Janka ratings. In order from softest to hardest in general:  Walnut, Maple, Rosewood, Ebony.

Personally, I love ebony blades and the immediacy of contact, but it certainly isn't for everyone. Blocks are direct and brutal for opponents if you tighten your grip, but any lack in technique or touch will show up due to the very low dwell time. If you have great technique I'd go ebony. 

I have used Ebenholz V and VII, Emerald, Dawei Ebenholz V copy, Joola Greenline Extreme, Yasaka Ebony Carbon. I never really connected with Rosewood--too slingy for me. Walnut felt like a slightly more crisp Koto. 

Not to further complicate things, but there are many different species of each of these woods with varying Janka hardnesses. For example, Emerald V is Macassar Ebony, Andro Gauzy SL/Yasaka Ebony Carbon is another species that looks more tiger striped and orange, Joola Greenline Extreme is something like Katalox. The Joola had awesome control despite being 7mm thick where the Ebenholz VII was a rocket. Even the Yasaka Ebony Carbon felt very controllable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic