Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - new TT org
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new TT org

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new TT org
    Posted: 09/23/2020 at 1:21pm
Did anyone see this new TT org yet? 

It was just forwarded to me. I used to live in the states and am now in Europe, but grassroots is where this sport can improve. 

Cheers!

Sponsored Links

ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 5:10pm
Two issues:
* No contact email under the "Contact" link.
* Top bar should not pop up when scrolling down covering up part of the top screen (on small screen Chromebook).

Maybe use a different WordPress theme or switch to Python/Django.

Sanwei Fextra, Nittaku FastArc G1 / Moristo SP
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by FS1 FS1 wrote:

Did anyone see this new TT org yet? 

It was just forwarded to me. I used to live in the states and am now in Europe, but grassroots is where this sport can improve. 

Cheers!

Honestly I found it a long and difficult read. I didn't finish it  what exactly is he trying to do, or asking us to do? 
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 9:23pm
I don't speak for the organization, I just had it forwarded to me. I no longer live in the states, but when I did I remember USA Table Tennis wasn't really focused on grassroots (maybe that has changed?)

Certainly not blaming them either as their mission should be the olympic/national team athletes, but for the most of us we are not of that level ( I was a 1900) and I always thought why wasn't there a players or a amateur players association that was more grassroots based. 

This org seems to do that, no? 

I guess the question what is the difference with this org and what USATT offers....

Curious what the USTTA folks think. 
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 8:53am
Originally posted by FS1 FS1 wrote:

This org seems to do that, no? 

This is the first time I ever heard of this org. 

Edited by pgpg - 09/24/2020 at 8:57am
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 8:57am
Yes seems so....I just got 8 or 9 of my US based TT friends chatting about this, they all got the same email, so was curious if you all had heard about it or not. 

I normally don't post all that often but figured why not. 

Thanks!
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 9:36am
it's okay, we know it's you. 

so what's the summary of the goals and mission? too long and rambling, you should keep things more concise.

Edited by idk - 09/24/2020 at 9:37am
W7 baby
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 9:50am
My name is Bill Hu; rated 1908 as of my last tournament though it was a non USTTA one, though my USTTA rating may be different actually to be honest and I was sent this email along with many of my friends. I don't know this person by face or name.  

You referenced a post in July, yes I posted that. Since I am no longer a USTTA member I don't know how the elections are going, have they had them? That is a different topic too. 

Your post has me curious so I will just email the contact person. 

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Sep 23, 2020, 7:07 AM
Subject: New US TT Clubs Benefits
To:

Good Day US Table Tennis Clubs,

First, I want to thank all of you for everything you do to develop, grow, and promote our sport. 

A new grassroots table tennis association has been created, United States Table Tennis Athletes Association, USTTAA

Personally I believe the clubs and coaches are the backbone of our sport; therefore, every club that is at least 70% TT is on the USTTAA site for free. If any of you know of any clubs that aren't on there, or if you would like me to remove your club, please let me know. 

As you explore the site you will notice it's a pure members organization.  

IT BELONGS TO YOU!

First official day of the new organization will be October 1st, 2020.

COME JOIN THE TEAM!

Sincere Regards,
Michael McFarland
727-744-9427
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 10:06am
 I don't see any real plan or actions on the website. I wonder why so interested in a rambling rant

Edited by idk - 09/24/2020 at 10:06am
W7 baby
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 10:41am
I actually agree with you. It seems to be disjointed but it gave me some hope. 

I have 2 kids and when I lived in the states there weren't any programs for them. Age 4 and 7. Granted my 4 year old she can't really see above the table yet (small for her age). My 7 year old seems very athletic (yes I am biased ha) and I just don't have the kind of information to be able to train them well enough. It seemed (I could be wrong) that this organization was more grassroots. 

We had to move abroad for my job so learning a new language for them and making new friends is a huge adjustment and figured that table tennis would be a nice thing to have. 

Anyways no more questions from me, I do appreciate you giving me the time to chat. 

Cheers!
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 11:19am
I don't know how it'll pan out, but what does the TT community got to lose?  The guy spends his own time, money, and knowledge to help improve the sport and the only response is he's just rambling?  I hope he succeeds.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 11:21am
Which country are you in now? Depending where you are there might be good options, better than the current system in the US which requires a lot of money to be spent. I am sure the grassroots approach is best, but I am just having a hard time understanding why what the USTTAA guys proposal is going to do any better than what is currently in place. I just dont see where he thinks the money or effort is going to come from, by changing membership fee structure a few bucks here and there?
W7 baby
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 12:10pm
My job keeps me moving quite a bit, but we are in Bergamo in Northern Italy. My company is German actually.  I found still a way to have some english education, but the kids are going to have to adapt to the country b/c I don't think I can keep them in just english education forever. 

Italy actually does have quite a bit of table tennis I just have to get better myself and understanding how it all works. 

On the USTTA thing I don't know much other than what my friends and I are talking about and decided to see on here if others knew. It gives me a way to still be a part of the American TT scene when this email came out. 

It does seem like a one man show, but it is for me good to see that people are still trying! 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

I don't know how it'll pan out, but what does the TT community got to lose?  The guy spends his own time, money, and knowledge to help improve the sport and the only response is he's just rambling?  I hope he succeeds.

I do too.  I also think if you focus on grass roots and grow the sport, good players will naturally come.  But what is this guy doing?  How is he going to help me help the sport?  Is he going to buy us some tables?  Come give lessons? Give me advice?  Hook me up with people who need those things?

Edited by cole_ely - 09/24/2020 at 1:40pm

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I do too.  I also think if you focus on grass roots and grow the sport, good players will naturally come.  But what is this guy doing?  How is he going to help me help the sport?  Is he going to buy us some tables?  Come give lessons? Give me advice?  Hook me up with people who need those things?
Well for one, the proposed membership fee is significantly lower than what it currently is ($75).  The other thing I like is he gives a breakdown of how the money would actually be spent ... areas that I would be in support of.  I think having Regional/State associations is a good idea which I don't think the USATT has ever really embraced.  As far as what he will do for you personally, you'd have to ask him.  
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2020 at 4:21pm

Well for one, the proposed membership fee is significantly lower than what it currently is ($75).  The other thing I like is he gives a breakdown of how the money would actually be spent ... areas that I would be in support of.  I think having Regional/State associations is a good idea which I don't think the USATT has ever really embraced.  As far as what he will do for you personally, you'd have to ask him.  

It's not that I want anything personally, except to understand his mission.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by SultanP SultanP wrote:

It's not that I want anything personally, except to understand his mission.

Everyone keeps saying "him" but I cannot figure out who "he" is ? 
Is he someone listed there on USTTAA website ? Or is it someone in this thread ?

I am totally lost on this 

He is the author of whatever that was I read from the OP link. Or are you asking for a name?

Edited by cole_ely - 10/13/2020 at 7:24am

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2020 at 7:20am
Michael McFarland I guess

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic