Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Current best OX LP pushblocker / attackers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Current best OX LP pushblocker / attackers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current best OX LP pushblocker / attackers
    Posted: 11/10/2020 at 1:50pm
Starting to focus more on the good ol' pushblocking strategy, and wanted to see if anyone knew some good current players to watch for this style. Not really at a pro level (Manika Batra), but more for the amateur players and how they deal with that sort of game. 

Some of the ones I've been watching:

This younger girl who battled gucci - https://youtu.be/KOC_RWwL-XI

Mainly looking for amateurs in the USATT 2000-2400ish range. Maybe in the german leagues? Something you could hope to emulate style wise. In the past I know there were more players like pushblocker, who play quite passively. Are the new players having to use more FH and whatnot to compete? I'm seeing how the style has changed and continues to adapt. 
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2020 at 4:54pm
Wow, some interesting videos there. It's terrifying how good people can get with such unorthodox styles.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 4:28am
I would also like to mention Oliver Mader (a.k.a pushblocker), who's is/was a USATT 2200+ rated player, and a member on this forum.. V
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 5:00am
Gosh the LP attackers are close to unplayable lol, personally I haven't figured out how to win against those guys other than to play crazy, ie serve long and loopkill all balls, and on serve receive try to loopkill all loose balls and flick all short balls...
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 6:21am
Theres a guy in  my club who plays with ox lp both sides on an allround classic, he attacks, chops, does everything. Hes quite immune to easy lobs as well. 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 6:29am
"deny blocker" is quite entertaining - e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nmEzopp9_E or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZDF0NY7rE

Edited by vvk1 - 11/11/2020 at 6:34am
astaroyd View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 6:37am
luka mladenovic

amelie solja

Edited by astaroyd - 11/11/2020 at 1:13pm
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 5:45pm
It's a rare style and is one of my favorite to play. We have a guy in our club who could probably enter a tournanent in another area and obtain around a 2200 rating. He pushblocks every shot with minimal attacking and pretty much consistently beats about everyone. Despite not being one of the top players, I'm one of the very few who can beat him with patience and control/slow looping. It's not uncommon for our matches to be exhausting grinds upwards of 45 minutes or so in a best of five. They're very rhythmic and repetitive for me, working the ball around the table and trying to find good shots to attack. Most people who play this guy lose a quick 0:3 match from trying to rip third balls and then being unable to devise much of a strategy when they're returned. However, it's easier said than done as I know the ins and outs out this player's game.

Edited by FinalFight - 11/12/2020 at 5:53pm
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by FinalFight FinalFight wrote:

It's a rare style and is one of my favorite to play. We have a guy in our club who could probably enter a tournanent in another area and obtain around a 2200 rating. He pushblocks every shot with minimal attacking and pretty much consistently beats about everyone. Despite not being one of the top players, I'm one of the very few who can beat him with patience and control/slow looping. It's not uncommon for our matches to be exhausting grinds upwards of 45 minutes or so in a best of five. They're very rhythmic and repetitive for me, working the ball around the table and trying to find good shots to attack. Most people who play this guy lose a quick 0:3 match from trying to rip third balls and then being unable to devise much of a strategy when they're returned. However, it's easier said than done as I know the ins and outs out this player's game.

Short pips forehand?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 11:26pm
Not me. The other player has inverted for serves but never uses it during the match. Even when he occasionally attacks it will be with the LP.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by FinalFight FinalFight wrote:

Very very interesting, a player in our club did the same too. He would slow looping to the LP side and waited to attack the return. It was because the return was flat and slow. 
BTW, did your LP player attach with LP? I was trying to attack the slow loop now.

Edited by Egghead - 11/13/2020 at 10:52pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 9:14pm
He does have a great flat smash forehand with the LP. But he mostly just pushblocks from both wings. He covers the entire table with the LP and only really uses the inverted side for serves. I play almost exclusively slow loops in a slow loop/push combo, which as I mentioned is very repetitive and predictable but consistent. Some of our rallies can go on for like 40+ shots and is the best way I have found to play him. I've seen 2000+ level loopers lose to him in like five minutes after unsuccessfully trying to outhit him with heavy loops.

Edited by FinalFight - 11/14/2020 at 2:32pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 10:52pm
Stefan Kostadinovic

Manika Batra

Edited by Egghead - 11/14/2020 at 5:01pm
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2020 at 6:28pm
close to the table LP push blocking - OX or with sponge?
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

close to the table LP push blocking - OX or with sponge?
I use ox, but few of my friends use 0.5.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2020 at 8:55pm

Edited by jt99sf - 11/18/2020 at 11:26pm
Photino /TBS Black Tag: D05 (FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 2:42am
Add USATT 2100+ California's Dr. J to the list.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 3:43am
Michael Tsai's channel is great is you want to keep up to date on the various tricks non-inverted rubbers can be used for:

E.g.:

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 8:30pm
Giant Dragon Talon is what I've been using lately. For me, it plays better than the recent version of Grass DtecS. 
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 8:32pm
My practice partner is well over 2100. He uses Nittaku Wallest OX on FOREHAND . . . yes . . . FH and attacks anything and everything . . . even balls that skim the net!

Edited by tommyzai - 11/20/2020 at 8:32pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 12:27pm
I'm guessing Denny is somewhere between 2200-2300.  He plays very well with the long pips and has exceptional touch!
Joola Rossi Emotion PBO-C and Vynaryz Freeze
Joola Dynaryz ACC max - BH
Joola Rhyzer 48 max - FH
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 12:35pm
I'm guessing Stefan is in the 2300 - 2400 range.  Very good game.
Joola Rhyzer 48 max - FH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 1:07pm
Is it a Covid side effect? I feel like there is a renewed interest in joining the dark side lately, when Haggisv posted about the new Hellfire X, I wanted one, maybe it was the Louis Vuitton effect.

Actually I am very interested and have been for a while, that's why I had bought those 4 Butterfly Lindmae Special all handpicked at  99-101 grams, the idea was I would end up with the setup between 180 and 185 grams that I am used to.

Nothing wrong with switching to LP in those screwy times LOL

Edited by stiltt - 11/25/2020 at 1:08pm
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

My practice partner is well over 2100. He uses Nittaku Wallest OX on FOREHAND . . . yes . . . FH and attacks anything and everything . . . even balls that skim the net!
Is the guy well over 2100 in your estimation or does he have an actual tournament ratings? Those are two different things in my opinion.
Stiga ALL 2000 '76; DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer ABS2 2.3

My Feedback
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 1:40pm
Amen to that Tommyzai...how many times have I heard an 1800 or 1900 player say they are playing 2100 or better.  I recently had a 1900 player say he was playing about 2200! Shortly after saying that he lost to a 1750 player! Ha

Joola Rhyzer 48 max - FH
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 2:35pm
I know and have played the guy Tommy is talking about.  He beat me like a drum when I was visiting the area on 2 different occasions.  It has been a long time since he played any sanctioned tournaments.  He did play in some National Senior Games (winning in one I believe).  In that event he beat Randy Hou who at the time was at least 2200 (with lots of sanctioned events to back up that number).  

I do not think 2100 is an overestimate of his level.  If he had decent players to play with regularly I can easily see him being 2200.  I usually play well against long pips players, but I had no clue what to do against him.  He used  the LP on the Fh to attack dead and topsin balls like he was playing with inverted.  The stroke was so ugly you kept thinking "it is just luck".  But after he plays 10 or so in a row just like it you become a believer.  He uses a Seemiller style grip so is playing with LP on both wings.  From Bh side his blocks remind me a lot of Pushblocker.  Of course my loops are not good enough to judge if he is at that level.  To top it off he twiddles to use inverted on shots to his Bh so he can attack balls he would not normally be able to attack with his LP from that side.

By the way, he never talks about his rating.  It is everyone that plays him for the first time that does the speculating about his rating.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 11/25/2020 at 2:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic