Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Match Analysis Featuring USATT No. 17
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Match Analysis Featuring USATT No. 17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match Analysis Featuring USATT No. 17
    Posted: 11/11/2020 at 9:50am
Here’s a match between my friend Joy and me. I look at tactics from both sides and walk you through the match. Please let me know if y’all like it!

Edited by bzdz - 11/11/2020 at 9:51am
Sponsored Links

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 4:52pm
Hope this heading (analysis) will continue!
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2020 at 6:38pm
Thanks for posting.

I suggest that camera should be on the FH side of both players.
For example, you could have started playing away from the wall.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 5:41am
The point about avoiding heavy push returns by serving sidetopspin and not serving short underspin is spot on. If you're better at the rallies don't get dragged into the short game, just serve sidetopspin to force the rallies.  

Both of you play quite a standard game that's almost similar lol... Have you considered playing trickier? Like really go for the wide angles and push/loop with weird sidespin to throw opponents off, chiquita, etc...? Or does that backfire hard at your level?
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

The point about avoiding heavy push returns by serving sidetopspin and not serving short underspin is spot on. If you're better at the rallies don't get dragged into the short game, just serve sidetopspin to force the rallies.  

Both of you play quite a standard game that's almost similar lol... Have you considered playing trickier? Like really go for the wide angles and push/loop with weird sidespin to throw opponents off, chiquita, etc...? Or does that backfire hard at your level?

Definitely something to consider. It’s not what I’m most comfortable doing, but I’m sure I can get the hang of it
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 3:07pm
Something which was interesting is Joy returned and opened up 1/3 to 1/2 pace almost totally to your backhand or middle which was perfect for you to control the point. Rarely was there a wide loop to your forehand or backhand or spin to your wide either to make you move and expect something different. It was pretty well in your stronger blocking/hitting zone and you were on balance hence the stronger returns putting Joy under the hammer a bit as you were set.

In the points in a rally at pace when the ball was moving your balance was broken quite a lot being a fair few forehand errors when Joy switched. Quick hands which was good from Joy.

Interesting that your serves got the same or very similar returns middle or backhand. where you were set and in control. 

Good tactics from you 100%  Thumbs Up if you are going to get similar placement from the forehand return mid table or a bit longer ball with some spin you are in to counter. 

Looked like a very generic open and rally which you stopped really well. After plan A didn't work from Joy on this she struggled and didn't change her play. Which under pressure of your on balance shots caused a bit of a hesitation/implosion sorry to say and then things became stressed a bit on shot selection and overcooking it a bit which made your task a bit easier.

Really nice video and interesting.ClapThumbs Up

Edited by ghostzen - 11/12/2020 at 3:08pm
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Something which was interesting is Joy returned and opened up 1/3 to 1/2 pace almost totally to your backhand or middle which was perfect for you to control the point. Rarely was there a wide loop to your forehand or backhand or spin to your wide either to make you move and expect something different. It was pretty well in your stronger blocking/hitting zone and you were on balance hence the stronger returns putting Joy under the hammer a bit as you were set.

In the points in a rally at pace when the ball was moving your balance was broken quite a lot being a fair few forehand errors when Joy switched. Quick hands which was good from Joy.

Interesting that your serves got the same or very similar returns middle or backhand. where you were set and in control. 

Good tactics from you 100%  Thumbs Up if you are going to get similar placement from the forehand return mid table or a bit longer ball with some spin you are in to counter. 

Looked like a very generic open and rally which you stopped really well. After plan A didn't work from Joy on this she struggled and didn't change her play. Which under pressure of your on balance shots caused a bit of a hesitation/implosion sorry to say and then things became stressed a bit on shot selection and overcooking it a bit which made your task a bit easier.

Really nice video and interesting.ClapThumbs Up

Yea these are very good observations. I learned a lot from this match, and I play joy multiple times a week. I need to cover up my weaknesses and I already have a plan to do so :)
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2020 at 5:23pm
Thumbs Up
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 10:54am
I though you both have very strong games.  This match seems like an example of a "likely stronger" player struggling against a "seemingly more versatile" player.  You play very well against her - your strong backhand neatly countered much of her lefty game.  Against most players I suspect her quickness, consistency, and "leftiness" would create more problems.  I think Joy had a couple issues that day that gave you an edge.  I'm guessing they aren't her norm.

Mental Observations
-She seemed to get impatient, then even more impatient.  Rather than setting points up, she too often just tried to overpower you.
-Her focus seemed to vary, but didn't seem razor sharp except for short bursts.
-She didn't really adjust to the fact that, on that day, you two were very evenly matched.  She seemed to want to play you like you were "comfortably weaker" which may be the case rating-wise, but not in reality (at least not that day).  Since you play her all the time, you are far more comfortable that your "average Joe" tournament player would be.  You also seem very comfortable switching your game up, which she didn't seem to adapt to adequately.

I saw three tactical/technical things that she might want to work on - and use against you next match.
1) More angles - particularly when opening, but also when countering.  When she went "wide" to your forehand (with her backhand), she very rarely went "really wide".  With a little less speed and maybe more spin, she could/should go quite a bit wider.  Early in the point this could open you up for a quick block or counter to the your backhand.  Later - after you step back - it would test your footwork and tend to bring you back closer to the table.  Also, going to wider angles regularly had a tendency to open your opponent (you in this case) up for elbow attacks.  
2) More speed changes.  She, like most strong lady players, seems most comfortable in very quick rallys - and she is very good at it.  When you started stepping back a bit, she almost always tried hitting/looping/blocking harder.  This caused a lot of errors and, even when she hit the table, your positioning took a lot of the sting out.  I'd like to have seen her try some softer blocks - particularly towards your elbow/middle, then look to counter while you are a bit closer to the table. 
3) I think it might be lack of focus or "just a bad day", but her short game looked weaker than the rest of her game.  Her forehand flip in particular didn't seem "up to her level".  (Note that your backhand opening seemed to be really on that day.  Those flips might work just fine against someone with a weaker - or just "less nasty" backhand opening.)  She missed more flips than I expected.  When she hit them, they didn't seem consistently well placed, or particularly fast or spinny.  The biggest issue was that most seemed pretty high (for her level), which often gave you a comfortable ball to open strongly with your (really good) backhand.  Since you two play and practice regularly, I would expect her to know your serves pretty well, so the number of misses and high-ish balls indicates either a bad day, lack of focus, or (not likely) a slightly weak fh flip.  

Congrats on a really good win!

bes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic