FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Bluegrip C2 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Bluegrip C2 review
    Posted: 01/08/2021 at 7:18pm
First test today on a Yasaka Sweden Guardian blade with a Tibhar Hybrid K1 Euro  on the other side. Just for the record, the Tibhar is well tuned with two layers of Falco.

The Bluegrip C2 is untuned in its factory state and I am not planning on tuning it before I can try it on a real offensive blade. Both rubbers are glued on with 1-1 layer of Revolution.

There are many reviews out there but the majority of them are not English. One of the exceptions is the channel of Bigshot TT who did a review in September. Also, tennis2table.com have done a review but it is in French and the reviewer is a very high level player.

I have not been able to train properly since March but somehow I managed to arrange a place with some my usual practice partners. The following are my first impressions and I will only be able to go into more details in about two weeks. All I am going to talk about is based on a basic FH drill and FH looping mostly.

The speed of the C2 is definitely below Donic Bluestorm Z1 by about 15%. It could be about Z2's speed but they are a bit difficult to compare because you need a slightly different technique with the C2 and the curve of the ball is different.

Upon bouncing the ball (DHS*** ABS) everybody agreed that it feels slow. However, as you start going harder, you can get more out of the rubber and you will end up at Z2's speed on loops, more or less.

I am convinced that the topsheet of the C2 is the same technology as the Joola Dynaryz AGR ( I have not tried ACC).

What sets it apart from other current ESN (Bluefires, Bluestorms, Rasanter 37, 42, 47, Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 50) rubbers is the unbelievable curve on loops. I have not experienced this with the rubbers I just mentioned. The increased clearance over the net enables its user to play into locations that were more difficult to access in tight situations with previous ESN rubbers.

Spin is subjective. If I judge by the excellent curve, I must say it is very spinny. What is important, the improved curve is there, even on slower shots, which is another distinguishing factor from previous ESN rubbers. It was only when I when really hard that balls flew long but it might be due to the defensive blade I used today.

It is good straight out of the package and only has a faint booster smell. Going by Joola Dynaryz AGR, the effect lasts good 3 months. The sponge is not exactly the same as Bluegrip Z1: it is more of a greyish blue sponge and the pores are ever so slightly smaller than on the Z1. The uncut weight was 72 gramms.

If someone asked me now which rubber I would choose: Z1 or C2, my answer would be the C2 without hesitation.

Fortunately, it is different from Rakza Z Extra Hard and in a good way. RZEH does not feature this new style topsheet and I feel the offensive potential of the C2 is greater than the Yasaka's. The RZEH has a higher curve on loops than the Donic but in the case of the Rakza ZEH it does not translate into more pressure on the opponents.

There is one bad thing however: only after 1.5 hours of play the topsheet has started going white with ballmarks on 2-3 spots so I have doubts about the durability of the topsheet.

To summarise: it is a rubber for advanced players so if you cannot handle 50 degree ESN rubbers I am sure you will not like it. It is very reliable but as it is a bit slower than speed cannon ESN rubbers I would say it is more for those players who win points through careful placement instead of relentless diagonal power shots. There is a lot more room for changing the trajectory of your loops which was more difficult with previous ESN rubbers.

I will post more on it as soon as I have put it on a normal offensive blade and with other balls than the fake DHS ***.
Sponsored Links

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 5:52am
Nice review Hans. Many thanks for putting together the review. I know the UK reviewer big shot and his family from playing Donic over the years and being at the club in London training. Great friendly bunch of people and also the fusion club is fantastic if anyone is ever in that neck of the woods. 

I'm really interested in how both of the rubbers C2 and C1 would liven up and maybe soften up after the break in time. Also after boosting as I think these rubbers would find it benifical to add a bit of extra speed. 

Cheers. 

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 8:10am
How does it compare to the Tibhar Hybrid K1 Euro?
TTOmar View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTOmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 11:11am
Good review , I used Bluegrip C1 for a month on inner carbon blade and it was fast with higher throw angle thus made me many mistakes during loops, the reason is when you normally flat hit the ball you don't actually feel that catapult effect but when you spin the ball it shows its true nature. I was using the rubber along with Big Dipper. Comparing to Big Dipper, C1 is less tacky but gives you more speed on hits and spin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Nice review Hans. Many thanks for putting together the review. I know the UK reviewer big shot and his family from playing Donic over the years and being at the club in London training. Great friendly bunch of people and also the fusion club is fantastic if anyone is ever in that neck of the woods. 

I'm really interested in how both of the rubbers C2 and C1 would liven up and maybe soften up after the break in time. Also after boosting as I think these rubbers would find it benifical to add a bit of extra speed. 

Cheers. 

Thanks.

I am planning on boosting C2 but only in 2-3 weeks. I want to try it unboosted on a 7 ply offensive blade. I will report back here with my findings. Also, I am getting a sheet of C1 for the same reason. Btw, I absolutely hated V1 and R1.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

I had been trying the Hybridy K1 unboosted before and I found it to be totally unplayable. Therefore I boosted it with two layers of Falco Long and tested it yesterday and it was a lot better. I would even play league matches with it now.

The comparison I am going to give you is not the best because my C2 is unboosted at the moment but here it goes.

All concerning FH loops from close in and off the table:

The speed difference between Z1 and C2 is approximately 15%.

Speed: boosted THK1E > unboosted C2 by between 5 and 10% (Bluestorm Z1 is faster than THK1E by approx. 5-7%)
Spin: unboosted C2 > THK1E > Z1 - The gap between C2 and the Tibhar is noticeable but smaller than the difference between the Tibhar and Z1 (let alone C2)
Curve on loops: C2 is the best by far > THK1E > Z1 (the difference between the latter two is about 5-7%)

In terms of the feel for the ball C2 is the best for me but it is very subjective. The technological difference between the topsheets and they way the work is very noticeable - the Tibhar is not much different than the latest ESN range (Bluestorm, Rasanter, Joola Rhyzer, they are all the same basically).

I have seen videos of you playing and I would say the C2 could suit your FH. You might want to check out the video of tennis2table on the C2. That will give you an idea.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by TTOmar TTOmar wrote:

Good review , I used Bluegrip C1 for a month on inner carbon blade and it was fast with higher throw angle thus made me many mistakes during loops, the reason is when you normally flat hit the ball you don't actually feel that catapult effect but when you spin the ball it shows its true nature. I was using the rubber along with Big Dipper. Comparing to Big Dipper, C1 is less tacky but gives you more speed on hits and spin

I very much agree with the flat hitting vs spinning part.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

I had been trying the Hybridy K1 unboosted before and I found it to be totally unplayable. Therefore I boosted it with two layers of Falco Long and tested it yesterday and it was a lot better. I would even play league matches with it now.

The comparison I am going to give you is not the best because my C2 is unboosted at the moment but here it goes.

All concerning FH loops from close in and off the table:

The speed difference between Z1 and C2 is approximately 15%.

Speed: boosted THK1E > unboosted C2 by between 5 and 10% (Bluestorm Z1 is faster than THK1E by approx. 5-7%)
Spin: unboosted C2 > THK1E > Z1 - The gap between C2 and the Tibhar is noticeable but smaller than the difference between the Tibhar and Z1 (let alone C2)
Curve on loops: C2 is the best by far > THK1E > Z1 (the difference between the latter two is about 5-7%)

In terms of the feel for the ball C2 is the best for me but it is very subjective. The technological difference between the topsheets and they way the work is very noticeable - the Tibhar is not much different than the latest ESN range (Bluestorm, Rasanter, Joola Rhyzer, they are all the same basically).

I have seen videos of you playing and I would say the C2 could suit your FH. You might want to check out the video of tennis2table on the C2. That will give you an idea.

Thank you, sounds tempting.  Too bad there's nowhere to play due to  covid lockdown here.

P.S.: Fame at last! LOLLOLLOL

P.P.S: Watched the tennis2table's review of C2. I don't speak French but the reviewer is a much better player than me and can probably make any grippy rubber look good :-) 

Edited by vvk1 - 01/09/2021 at 3:32pm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Cheers. 

Thanks.

I am planning on boosting C2 but only in 2-3 weeks. I want to try it unboosted on a 7 ply offensive blade. I will report back here with my findings. Also, I am getting a sheet of C1 for the same reason. Btw, I absolutely hated V1 and R1.

Great news about the C1 will look forward to your review. The R1 and V1 I haven't heard amazing things from to be honest either ... Cheers and thanks again.
Rinforzando View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 3:40pm
I'm planning to try it in the next few weeks. I already glued it, I just need to find a partner.

He basically says that the C2 is a bit less effective than the C1 at the table, but it is more versatile, with a greater catapult effect and he was impressed by the curve.

There is another review (more an ad btw) of the C1/C2 (black rubber is C2, red is C1) at 0:39 you can see the power of the rubber
Blade: Xiom Icecream AZX
FH: Yinhe Uranus Poly (max)
BH: DMS Störkraft (1.2)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 7:25pm
from what i have gathered, c1 and C2 should be similar to Omega 7 China with some other differences. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic