Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gluing OX to used sponge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gluing OX to used sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing OX to used sponge
    Posted: 01/09/2021 at 9:57pm
Hi, what is the best glue for self gluing of an OX to a used sponge ? Thks
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 12:29am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

Hi, what is the best glue for self gluing of an OX to a used sponge ? Thks

Glue the sponge to the blade, then lay the topsheet down

Or you might stick it temporarily down to plastic sheet or something

Edited by cole_ely - 01/11/2021 at 12:30am
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
KellyF View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 1:29am
I am not too familiar with the ping pong regulations but I was told by a player who plays in tournaments that rubbers should be used unmodified and you are not allowed to stick a sheet on top  to a sponge in the bottom.  It is ok if you buy the rubber  from factory with sheet on top attached to sponge below. I did not even know what OX meant. He told me most umpires in small tournaments do not enforce this because mostly they do not know this law and also don't care even if they do but  he said they enforce it in bigger tournaments

Edited by KellyF - 01/11/2021 at 1:31am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by KellyF KellyF wrote:

I am not too familiar with the ping pong regulations but I was told by a player who plays in tournaments that rubbers should be used unmodified and you are not allowed to stick a sheet on top  to a sponge in the bottom.  It is ok if you buy the rubber  from factory with sheet on top attached to sponge below. I did not even know what OX meant. He told me most umpires in small tournaments do not enforce this because mostly they do not know this law and also don't care even if they do but  he said they enforce it in bigger tourniaments

People have been putting their own top sheet and sponges together for years I don't think it's illegal

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 9:31pm
A OX rubber is a pimpled rubber with no sponge
so gluing a OX rubber and a sponge onto a blade is usually no problem and no difference to glue OX onto wood
As Cole said you should glue the sponge on first to the blade the later glue the OX sheet on top

however in the case of some long pimple rubbers
 the 2.2mm sponge and the longer long rubbers may be over the legal limit, so better to do some checking first

If the op was going to glue a inverted top sheet onto a sponge (pimples down) then that is a lot harder

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

A OX rubber is a pimpled rubber with no sponge
so gluing a OX rubber and a sponge onto a blade is usually no problem and no difference to glue OX onto wood
As Cole said you should glue the sponge on first to the blade the later glue the OX sheet on top

however in the case of some long pimple rubbers
 the 2.2mm sponge and the longer long rubbers may be over the legal limit, so better to do some checking first

If the op was going to glue a inverted top sheet onto a sponge (pimples down) then that is a lot harder

Harder to keep it down over time maybe, but the operation of gluing some  pips out topsheets down is very difficult. Mostly about gluing the base sheet

Edited by cole_ely - 01/13/2021 at 11:25am

igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 11:02pm
   DEVIL IS STRONG. BE ALERT.

Yes, God will always favour those who willingly obey by the Rules of the 4 mm limit. On the contrary, Devil will always encourage you to slight the Rule.
Using rubbers over 4 millimetres thick is a deadly sin anyway, as the sin being abhorent both on GOD and HUMANS.

Edited by igorponger - 01/12/2021 at 2:29am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 7:52am
I just read the original post and realized I answered the wrong question.  You have two choices really, rubber cement or latex glue like tear mender. I personally thinkElmer's rubber cement is going to work as well as anything

penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 7:29pm
' I just read the original post and realized I answered the wrong question.  You have two choices really, rubber cement or latex glue like tear mender. I personally thinkElmer's rubber cement is going to work as well as anything ' - cole_ely

Thanks cole_ely, I think I try it with rubber cement which is easily available locally.

Noted on the 4 mm limit. Thanks again

Iloveplayingtabletennis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic