Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A blade that seems to be what it is not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ben1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A blade that seems to be what it is not
    Posted: 02/11/2021 at 11:41am
I have an older table tennis blade with very good playing characteristics. It's very strong in control, you can create a lot of cut and spin with it. I still miss a bit of power with this blade and because I don't collect any stiga blades, I would like to exchange it for another blade. (because is is not an original blade, or a blade what seems to be something what it is not, I will not post it for trade/exchange in the sale section...accoording to the rules)

In order to find out what it might be worth, I contacted several experienced Stiga blade collectors and asked for advice. As for the value, I received very different answers. Personally, it seemed strange that the bat face had the dimensions of a modern blade and I initially thought of a bat/blade face reduction. Magic M was the only one, who suspects the blade is not original, especially because the color of the stickers on the handles.

I replied that the stickers are in very bad condition and it could be that the stickers have discolored due to sweat and poor storage (for example sun exposure), which I still consider plausible. If they were forged, the stickers would look more like new, I answered. Maybe only a physicist can decide that.  And I took a very close look at the blade and take high-resolution photos. And then I saw it: in the handle, the middle veneer was cut into 2 pieces - look at the picture..so then for me was clear, I want to trade/exchange it as a simple blade, not as a Stiga Kjell johansson blade, but as a blade, where the handle scales have probably been changed. Whatever may have happened in the past, what the origin of the veneers, the stickers on it ... I don't care, because it will probably never be found out. But I still want to exchange it because the blade has exceptional, very good playing characteristics and I have no use for it. It is not the right, suitable blade for me.

Problem: Sometime after the exchange has been carried out, the blade will probably be offered for sale by someone, perhaps after it has changed hands several times, as original blade from the 60s at a very, very high price, at 1000 euros or more.

And for this reason I am opening this thread here as a warning. I assume that if someone wants to spend a lot of money on a piece of blade, he wants to get information about it and he searches the internet for information (that is his responsibility) (it is the same, if someone wants to sell a blade that seems to be, what it is not, as an original blade, then that is also his responsibility) So i will post pictures about this blade here as a warning.

here the pics:

Magic_M, may I ask youto post the pic(s) you send me by mail, showing the differnce between original colour of stickers and the stickers of the themed blade, (which seems to be what it is not)?

Edited by Ben1 - 02/11/2021 at 1:34pm
My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81836&title=feedback-for-ben1
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2021 at 8:51am
As it was not my own picture, I am not allowed to post it here.

You will find pictures of an original Stiga Kjell Johansson from this time (middle of the 60‘s), if you search for „Stiga Johansson first edition“. 

One of the results is a link to this site:

There you will find this picture:

And now (for a direct comparison) the blade of „Ben1“

Please look especially at the color of the sticker.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic