FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Service tactics question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service tactics question
    Posted: 06/04/2021 at 10:42pm
Assume you have a secondary service motion that looks like side-top but you can hit diguished side under with the same motion. How would you use it in a match.

1. Mix it 50-50 with your primary motion
2. Use it a couple times each game
3. Save it for use at critical points like duece and add or when trying to stop a run of points by opponent.

When you use it would you
1. Start with the under version since it is more likely to be misread
2. Start with the top version and save the under version for a critical point
3. Use both versions about equally (assuming opponent is not way stronger returning one version)
4. Use the more deceptive under version more ( at least till opponent catches on)
5. Use the more obvious one more so the deceptive one stays deceptive longer.

Any other thoughts on service tactics with regards to using a 2nd or 3rd service motion or with regards to using the more apparent spin vs the less apparrent one?

Mark - Who wishes he could shift at least a little of his confusion to his opponent.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2021 at 11:22pm
You describe  2 main lines where under and top exchange roles and one or the other is better when it makes the opponent the least comfortable. Maybe they are just slightly less comfy with the chosen line but that's just the best we can do. Once the strategy is decided we are sure it's the right path, we can forget about it and focus one the rest. How fast we find it out from the beginning of the game is key, scouting recommended?
Also I like to go in their comfort zone by surprise, a point won there is worth a mental bonus.

Edited by stiltt - 06/04/2021 at 11:24pm
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2021 at 12:33am
Also, a thing I find completely underutilized is both the start and end point of serve location.

Part of the reason people struggle with left handed player's serves is because of the side spin being the opposite, but partly it's because few players serve from the RHS edge of the table, and do a pendulum serve.

I serve from the LHS, middle and RHS for all of my serves, and even more importantly, all of these serves can end up wide FH, middle or BH.

It keeps opponents needing to focus not only on location and spin, but on the correct bat angle etc. Furthermore, they need to receive in a good location, because my serving position / reset position after serving, will be slightly different.

Few people think enough to fully counter this strategy, and even if they do, I feel they'd have even greater success if I defaulted to the 'As a RH player, serve 90% from the LHS...'

Too many times a player gets comfortable eventually with some of our strongest serves, but if you serve some of these to the Fh, middle  or BH, they never get settled, and even if they do, say on the BH, just put more into the Fh/Middle etc.

Being able to receive to any location [short/half long / long] with varying speed and spin is powerful, so is serving and doing the same :)

Edited by Basquests - 06/05/2021 at 5:58am
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2021 at 3:19am
Timo Boll's serve in crucial moments

>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.
Darker Speed90 with T05H/Dignics05 and Darker Imperial with D80/D05.

Delusion is an asset
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2021 at 11:38am
Most of my opponents are, like me, very bad at reading serves from contact. disguising the serve against someone who is reading it off the ball flight [if at all] is not that helpful.  

I would use whichever serve I felt more confident about following up with a good attack, until my opponent started crushing receives because it is always the same serve.  Then I would mix in different serves until he stopped doing that.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic