FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Doubles tactics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doubles tactics
    Posted: 06/08/2021 at 10:45pm
Any good sources for tactics in doubles?  The ones I found were pretty simplistic and generic.  It was good info but basically stuff I already knew like serving mostly short underspin to middle.  It also mentioned trying to get your partner the type of spin he prefers to attack.  Gau Jun video had some really good info on movement patterns but not much on tactics.

Any help would be appreciated?

Mark -  Who now realizes  his only hope of victory is in doubles (if he can find a much better partner).
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Any good sources for tactics in doubles?  The ones I found were pretty simplistic and generic.  It was good info but basically stuff I already knew like serving mostly short underspin to middle.  It also mentioned trying to get your partner the type of spin he prefers to attack.  Gau Jun video had some really good info on movement patterns but not much on tactics.

Any help would be appreciated?

Mark -  Who now realizes  his only hope of victory is in doubles (if he can find a much better partner).

Serve mostly no spin / heavy under for serve and get out of the way to let your partner attack the return. For receives, try to attack the serve directly via various flicks (chiquita being supreme here as you don't even need to move much sideways), if the underspin is way too heavy then try to push to some awkward position to try to induce a weak return to finish. I feel like the first attack matters even more than in singles, because the other player is moving in while defending which is much harder than in singles where you can cut off a lot of the angles with a good position.

Honestly I think it would be cooler to be able to serve from everywhere in doubles so you can play more mind games with the placement haha... the serve/receive cat and mouse game in singles is just too much fun.

Edited by blahness - 06/08/2021 at 11:08pm
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Tenergy 05
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2021 at 9:01am
Mark, here is an opportunity. Watch as many videos of doubles as you can. Interview people who play good doubles. Mark's Double Tactics could be the definitive text on the subject for the next 50 years, translated into Chinese, etc, etc.

As we have talked, I am convinced doubles is an absolutely different game from singles with huge differences in strategy and tactics and the average table tennis player who plays 99% singles definitely misses out on the subtle and substantial differences there within. 

Yes I am serious. You got time, you got wifi. You travel. Do it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic