Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reinvigorating Hardbat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reinvigorating Hardbat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bigzeke View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigzeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reinvigorating Hardbat
    Posted: 06/28/2021 at 9:21am
What can be done to reinvigorate the "Hardbat" game? As an older low level player, who discovered table tennis about three years ago, I find that I enjoy playing hardbat as much as with sponge rubber.  From all the reading I have done on the subject it seems that after the original heyday through the 1960's there was a resurgence again in the 1990's, but it appears to have slowly waned again.  There are very few "Hardbat" divisions at tournaments when I look on Omnipong.  Most of  the players at tournaments are older.  Is "Hardbat" going to slowly die out?  Sorry for being so long winded.  Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2021 at 11:04am
Hardbat had it's big chance when Budweiser sponsored their national event. 
$100,000. for the winner and they had a tennis player and  an elder gentleman in the final. No drama and no excellent rallies. Having handicaps was a big error. Just boredom and a  barrel full of wasted money. Hardbat is a great sport for the masses, like pickleball. Can you imagine how exciting this sport could be if the top players trained HB for real. It would be worth watching.
I qualified for the Vegas event but having to spot 15 in a game to 21 was no fun at all.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2021 at 11:18am
Sandpaper might make a comeback due to World Champs of PingPong.  It's a lot of fun to play, and to watch.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2021 at 2:57pm
Nothing. Oh, I know....  Make the top part more adhesive to the ball so you can get more spin and add something underneath that topsheet that makes it faster.  That would definitely liven things up a bit...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2021 at 4:13pm
Pickleball killed the noble game. The hardbat aficionados were already fed up with the condescending sponge bobs treating them spin(e)less players but the straw that broke the camel's back was when they said that hardbat players should post on tik tok instead of tt forums because the name resembles so much to the sound of their ball while mytabletennis.net is more for table tennis players. We had it coming, they showed us their middle one and moved on to PB!

Edited by stiltt - 06/28/2021 at 4:14pm
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Nothing. Oh, I know....  Make the top part more adhesive to the ball so you can get more spin and add something underneath that topsheet that makes it faster.  That would definitely liven things up a bit...

This provoked not just an internet "lol", I actually did laugh out loud. Thank you
bonelawr1959 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonelawr1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2021 at 4:33pm
Eschew the sponge.  I've been away from the tables for a bit but was promoting hardbat as much as I could locally in the Ft. Myers Flawduh area.  And by that, I mean I would play with nothing BUT a hardbat.  It was a rare PLEASURE to actually play someone ELSE with a hardbat and there was some interest from a few players.

Might be getting back to the tables in the area here.... will be interesting to see if anyone is still at all interested.

Also did play a bit of "LIHA"... but very rarely..... and that was before the advent of the "New" plastic (UGH!!!!) balls were introduced.

I am SO glad that... a few years ago... on a whim, I bought an entire GROSS of Nittaku 3 star 38mm balls.  And I still have a good stash of "real" table tennis balls left.
Boneman

Cape Coma, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic