Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sponge seasonality selection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sponge seasonality selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponge seasonality selection
    Posted: 09/08/2021 at 8:19am
Hi,

In a recent video clip from Butterfly, Ovcharov made the observation that he "uses softer rubbers in the winter and harder rubbers in the summer."

I'm surprised he said that in a public expression, for within the Butterfly line of his own rubber selection, there are not sponge hardness options from which to choose for the general customer.

Thanks.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
Sponsored Links

Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2021 at 9:03am
It makes a lot of sense. In summer in the heat the rubber and sponge gets softer so a harder combination would be better, and in the winter it's the other way.

Even among the same type of rubber there are manufacturing differences, so they can select slightly harder and softer. Not sure how they do it though. Maybe the factory measures the hardness and sends the desired configuration to the pro players, but maybe they just measure the package weight. I assume heavier package will be harder.

Or I'm not sure if the serial code on Butterfly sponge has any specific meaning. It very well could contain hardness information too. But it could only be a batch number too. Would be nice if someone knew.
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC 85g AN old version
FH: Mizuno Q5 2.1 black, 51g
BH: Rozena 2.1 red 46g
DHS No15 glue
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

It makes a lot of sense. In summer in the heat the rubber and sponge gets softer so a harder combination would be better, and in the winter it's the other way.

Even among the same type of rubber there are manufacturing differences, so they can select slightly harder and softer. Not sure how they do it though. Maybe the factory measures the hardness and sends the desired configuration to the pro players, but maybe they just measure the package weight. I assume heavier package will be harder.

Or I'm not sure if the serial code on Butterfly sponge has any specific meaning. It very well could contain hardness information too. But it could only be a batch number too. Would be nice if someone knew.

Hi,

I like your response very much.  Its tone and timbre reflect exactly my implicit sentiments.  Words and phrases like "Not sure . . .", "select slightly . . .", "Maybe . . .", "but maybe . . .", "I assume . . .", "Or I'm not sure . . .", "It could well be . . .", "Would be nice if . . .".  This repeated expression of uncertainty captures exquisitely the implications of his public statement.

My more concrete thought is that Butterfly does not offer a softer or harder sponge for the standard version of Dignics 05 and Dignics 09C to the teeming masses.  So, in a video of What Makes A Great Table Tennis Player, one may legitimately anticipate that which is expressed in the video would be actionable items for the viewing audience.  Sponge seasonality selection for the rubbers he uses is not available to the general public as an actionable item via the Butterfly product line.  Thus, my surprise.

Thanks! 
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2021 at 11:44am
I agree, in the summer heat the rubber get softer, and often the humidity makes conditions heavier.  I find softer sponge gets a little "splatty".

Sponges get softer with play, so for me it could just mean wrapping up a new rubber and putting back on an older one, or vice-versa. 
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2021 at 9:54pm
RUBBERS SUPERIOR TO TENERGY.-05.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Being for long in encumbency of lab engineer I one-by-one accumulated a large hip of rubber cuttings, and we can now use it as a "reference stock".

Through making lab testings a lot, we were able to find out rubbers superior to Tenergy by BOUNCE AND BALL SPEED.   Far cheaper though.

We always looking for more rubber specimens, seeing that many innovatory rubber products emerged on market lately.
   NOTE
the small triangle cuttings sized 3x3cm will do pretty well.
_________
Thank you a lot.

Edited by igorponger - 09/09/2021 at 3:26am
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 1:37am
My guess is that for the pros rubber hardness is linked to weight, possibly booster as well. 

I might try this, see how my FH feels with my softer bh rubber on away matches in unheated halls in winter; twiddle and use the C1 instead of the G1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic