Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone else hoping for a Sabalenka vs Sakkari fina
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else hoping for a Sabalenka vs Sakkari fina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beceere62 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beceere62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else hoping for a Sabalenka vs Sakkari fina
    Posted: 09/09/2021 at 4:50pm
I’m aware that both Raducanu and Fernandez have won a lot of fans during their run in this tournament and although I like both of them just fine, I’d much prefer a final between Maria and Aryna.

On one hand you have Maria who although has a robotic and limited game, is one of the hardest working players on tour. Her commitment to fitness and improving herself has earned my respect. She never struck me as someone with a lot of potential, but she kept working hard year after year and improving little by little. On the other hand you have Aryna who has been a solid top 10 player for a few years now but just couldn’t seem to have a breakthrough at a Slam. She too has worked hard on improving her game and adding variety and is one of the most professional top players as she is committed to the tour and treats playing Dubai the same way she treats a Grand Slam.

Edited by Beceere62 - 10 hours 33 minutes ago at 2:56am
HYY
Sponsored Links

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 5:15pm
This is a TABLE TENNIS forum. Everyone here's hoping for a Lily Zhang vs Liu Juan final.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 6:56pm
I've been picking sabelenka  for a year now 
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Beceere62 Beceere62 wrote:

I’m aware that both Raducanu and Fernandez have won a lot of fans during their run in this tournament and although I like both of them just fine, I’d much prefer a final between Maria and Aryna.

On one hand you have Maria who although has a robotic and limited game, is one of the hardest working players on tour. Her commitment to fitness and improving herself has earned my respect. She never struck me as someone with a lot of potential, but she kept working hard year after year and improving little by little. On the other hand you have Aryna who has been a solid top 10 player for a few years now but just couldn’t seem to have a breakthrough at a Slam. She too has worked hard on improving her game and adding variety and is one of the most professional top players as she is committed to the tour and treats playing Dubai the same way she treats a Grand Slam.
not bad - 0 for 2.  I think currently Sabalenka is better than Fernandez technically but she fell apart (out of the blue) in her last service game.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 9:35am
Hi,

A side note on this topic pertains to Coco.  

Appeared a consensus that the player on the Women's side with the greatest potential is Coco.  I think this is erroneous.  With the outstanding Raducanu and Fernandez, I find it impossible to draw and embrace the expectation above.  The wisest position at this time is that the player with the greatest potential is very indeterminate.  Given certain assumptions, it is not possible today to discriminate among the three's potential.

As to this topic in table tennis: Miwa Harimoto, the sister of the famed Harimoto, is producing the results anticipated.  We have a shooting star.

Thanks.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

A side note on this topic pertains to Coco.  

Appeared a consensus that the player on the Women's side with the greatest potential is Coco.  I think this is erroneous.  With the outstanding Raducanu and Fernandez, I find it impossible to draw and embrace the expectation above.  The wisest position at this time is that the player with the greatest potential is very indeterminate.  Given certain assumptions, it is not possible today to discriminate among the three's potential.

As to this topic in table tennis: Miwa Harimoto, the sister of the famed Harimoto, is producing the results anticipated.  We have a shooting star.

Thanks.

There is a difference between potential and actual results etc.  Coco is a full year at least younger than these ladies relative to her trajectory.  Coco has generally better results than these girls at the same time in her trajectory.  That Coco may or may not pan out is a separate issue.  Ascribing more *potential* to these girls because of recent results is a form of recency bias as well as redefining what potential means - these comments should have been made a year to two years ago.

Ashleigh Barty was a prodigy with high potential in her teens.  If one looks at the circumlocutious route she took to fulfilling the predictions about her potential, one could just as well have assumed at many points that the predictions were just wrong.  Maybe they were, maybe they were not, but your approach reminds of the "Kanak is behind his European rivals" or "Harimoto is significantly behind Lin Yun Ju" arguments that don't provide all the information to make a reasonable assessment..

Edited by NextLevel - 09/10/2021 at 9:51am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I've been picking sabelenka  for a year now 

And the beat goes on...
Mazunov
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 10:08am
That Coco may or may not pan out is a separate issue.  Ascribing more *potential* to these girls because of recent results

No.  The topic I introduced is the consensus among many that Coco has the most potential of all the candidates in question, a consensus stated many times on the Tennis Channel.  The point stated is that I disagree with this consensus and that the player with the most potential is, at this time, indeterminant.

The topic is the consensus.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 4:47pm

That Coco may or may not pan out is a separate issue.  Ascribing more *potential* to these girls because of recent results

No.  The topic I introduced is the consensus among many that Coco has the most potential of all the candidates in question, a consensus stated many times on the Tennis Channel.  The point stated is that I disagree with this consensus and that the player with the most potential is, at this time, indeterminant.

The topic is the consensus.

My point is that consensus was based on evidence that you had nothing to go against until just this week on the basis of single results and omitted the evidence that Coco is younger and is more accomplished at her age than the two players in the finals are.  And even the current evidence is not strong enough to overturn the consensus given the age disparity in play. Finally I gave the example of Barty, who despite delayed development, validated the consensus estimate of her ability.  Going by single tournament results at later ages to claim the consensus is wrong or indeterminate is revisionism. Andreescu wasn't much older than these ladies when she won the finals two years ago.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/10/2021 at 4:49pm
Mazunov
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 12:07am
Tennis was always big for me, playing or watching GS matches like now, starting with Borg, Panatta and Gerulaitis. How many players here are addicted to tennis too? do you think that the new drop shots change everything tactically wise?
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 1:02am
Can someone explain why Raducanu had to qualify when she reached the final 16 at Wimbledon? Is it analogous to entering a tournament in advance with a 1300 rating but improve to 1750 by the date of the event and the tournament uses the old rating?

They say there are no fans at the Olympics. What about Fan Zhendong?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 4:09am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Can someone explain why Raducanu had to qualify when she reached the final 16 at Wimbledon? Is it analogous to entering a tournament in advance with a 1300 rating but improve to 1750 by the date of the event and the tournament uses the old rating?

Her world ranking after Wimbledon was around 150.  I believe you have to be in the top 100 roughly to be in the main draw without playing qualifying unless you are granted a wildcard (and the reciprocal Grand Slam wildcards were probably already used on other players).
Mazunov
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 4:25am
wtta tournaments have become a lottery. There is no boss anymore. Those results are no surprises because regular. Pronostics are impossible regarding female tennis results.
Nittaku Goriki 94gr, dignics 09 max, super do knuckle, 1,4mm
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 7:53am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Hi,.......

......  Ascribing more *potential* to these girls because of recent results is a form of recency bias as well as redefining what potential means - these comments should have been made a year to two years ago.

"Recency bias" never heard this phrase before and had to look it up. It is very apt and I will certainly use it elsewhere.
"Every day is a learning dayLOL"
>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.
Darker Speed 90 (x3) with various rubber combinations.
(Present favourite)- Darker 5p-2A, 5ply Hinoki blade with T05H/T05H

Delusion is an asset
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 8:16am

Her world ranking after Wimbledon was around 150.  I believe you have to be in the top 100 roughly to be in the main draw without playing qualifying unless you are granted a wildcard (and the reciprocal Grand Slam wildcards were probably already used on other players).

Raducanu was ranked 338 going into Wimbledon (where she got a last-minute wildcard). In any case, tennis follows a ranking system not a rating system like USATT.

This will be an all-Canadian final by the way, if you look at the players' place of birth (Toronto and Montreal). Or to look at it differently, the final will be between the offspring of Chinese-Romanian and Ecuadorian-Philippine parents. Modern tennis is a truly global business.

Impressive these teenagers - let's hope they won't burn out by age 23 like so many others.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Raducanu was ranked 338 going into Wimbledon (where she got a last-minute wildcard). In any case, tennis follows a ranking system not a rating system like USATT.

This will be an all-Canadian final by the way, if you look at the players' place of birth (Toronto and Montreal). Or to look at it differently, the final will be between the offspring of Chinese-Romanian and Ecuadorian-Philippine parents. Modern tennis is a truly global business.

Impressive these teenagers - let's hope they won't burn out by age 23 like so many others.

The way I see it, both Raducanu and Fernandez will get adjusted when the results get processed. Yeah, I probably look at too many things from a USATT perspective.

They say there are no fans at the Olympics. What about Fan Zhendong?
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 7:01pm
raducanu wins 2 straight, so not having dropped a set for 10 rounds including qualies.
Her tactical nous stood out along with ability to close under pressure.
great brave shotmaking from both
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic