Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - US Open Scheduling-Another VirginiaSung screwup ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US Open Scheduling-Another VirginiaSung screwup ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Open Scheduling-Another VirginiaSung screwup ?
    Posted: 09/20/2021 at 10:11pm
Looks like another major screwup by Virginia Sung. 
Could the US Open have been scheduled just after the World Championships in Houston or nearby big city like Dallas-Fort Worth or San Antonio or even Las Vegas ? 

Are there any ITTF restrictions that prevent this ? Even if there was any, there definitely should be a creative workaround satisfactory to ITTF. The event had already been awarded to Houston. It is not like ITTF will cancel it, especially given that it was cancelled in 2020

They probably would have gotten more players for both events, both to watch and play. If they had held it in Houston, at least they could fill empty seats at WITTC. 

They could still be able to move it to first week of December if something can be worked out with Mandalay Bay.

It is even possible to have held it the weekend previous to WITTC. Only the top players expecting to win at WITTC may not participate due to risk of injury, but lots of lower level players who are sure to lose in early rounds will also play in US Open.

BTW Virginia Sung has nothing to do with getting the WITTC. It was all about Yao Ming

Oh Well  

Edited by Tisch - 09/20/2021 at 10:21pm
Sponsored Links

Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2021 at 10:58pm
How is a screw up?  Both the national and the open is pretty much set on July or December, so what is your point in trying to throw a name out there to blame , do you know the CEO ? Yao Ming ? WTF is your point ?
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

How is a screw up?  Both the national and the open is pretty much set on July or December, so what is your point in trying to throw a name out there to blame , do you know the CEO ? Yao Ming ? WTF is your point ?

Is there a law or written in US constitution that says that the national & open must be EXACTLY in the same week of same months ? Do you know the Nationals used be always in December and US Open always in June-July ?

If you do not know who Yao Ming is then there is no point in discussing this.

My point is that the USATT CEO is doing a bad job. Read the postings a few days ago in this forum. Lots of posters agree with me.  How does it matter if I know Virginia Sung or not.    

I am not sure why you get so upset with this. From your posting handle you are probably a chopper. Was Virginia Sung a chopper or something ? Or may be you know her and so are defending (pun intended) her blindly ?  

Edited by Tisch - 09/21/2021 at 1:53am
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 3:14am
The Open and the WTTC are 3 weeks apart.  Players and fans can easily go to both.

The Open needs to be in late December when the juniors are out of school.  I don't see a conflict at all.  
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 8:32am
I’m upset that instead of supporting a great event you are just bitching, when was the last world championship that was held in the USA? Instead of being grateful you bitch !! Yes I know Yao is , meet him when he was a rookie playing a game in our town. Her being a chopper has nothing to do with anything. Which USATT president bought a major championship to the USA ? If you cannot or support the event just shut the F up . Yet you said she screwed up , really? 
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

The Open and the WTTC are 3 weeks apart.  Players and fans can easily go to both.

The Open needs to be in late December when the juniors are out of school.  I don't see a conflict at all.  

I am afraid you contradict yourselves. What if juniors wanted to go to watch WITTC ? Then don't you think WITTC should have been scheduled close to late December ?

How many players can afford to go to just watch in Houston and then travel to Las Vegas 3 weeks later ?

More importantly I never said there was a conflict. I only said Virginia Sung could have scheduled it better. 

The 1990 US Open was a combination of US Open, WVC and World Junior Championships. They had a US Closed along with World Doubles Cup in Las Vegas once. All I am saying is that Virginia Sung lacks the experience & vison & foresight to be CEO. 

But of course as someone joked  few days ago, she must be promoted to ITTF. Sometimes businesses do this. If they cannot get rid of an employee, they promote them & give them a useless job with fancy title.

There is some sort of World hardbat championships in Houston the weekend before I think. There is still room for San Antonio or Austin or even Dallas-Fort Worth to hold a big 3 or 4 star real table-tennis event around WITTC.  (Oh wait a minute, you said thousands & thousands of juniors in USA won't be able to go) 

Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 9:33am

I’m upset that instead of supporting a great event you are just bitching, when was the last world championship that was held in the USA? Instead of being grateful you bitch !! Yes I know Yao is , meet him when he was a rookie playing a game in our town. Her being a chopper has nothing to do with anything. Which USATT president bought a major championship to the USA ? If you cannot or support the event just shut the F up . Yet you said she screwed up , really? 

1. Again, as I said Virginia Sung has very little to do with bringing the WITTC event to Houston. It was mostly Yao Ming. Just because Virginia Sung is Chinese you want me to believe she had lots of influence which is false.

2.  I never said her being a chopper has anything to do with it. I said your being a chopper has something to do with why you attack me so aggressively. I admit all choppers like you are nothing but a nuisance in table tennis & should be banned by banning long pimples but what does this have to do with anything.  People are so afraid to talk up about nuisance styles like chopping.

3.  You are getting emotional, call me names and use vulgar language. I thought this was against forum policy

4. So I am not allowed to state my opinion that Virginia Sung screwed up big time ? Why don't you go to the other thread few days ago & attack the posters there who also think she is a bad CEO & call them names & ask them to shut up & not voice their opinions.   

5. And BTW & last but not the least, did anyone ever infer from my earlier posts that I am actually opposed to WITTC coming to Houston ? 

Edited by Tisch - 09/21/2021 at 10:09am
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 10:00am
just another guy that want to bitch about everything, now it’s about the jrs timing , WTF
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2021 at 10:11am

just another guy that want to bitch about everything, now it’s about the jrs timing , WTF

Hello, 
I never brought up the issue of juniors.  MTS388 did. I just replied

Your logic is truly amazing, just as how you inferred that I am opposed to WITTC coming to Houston 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2021 at 2:17am
Tisch,

I have a really good BH and FH biatch slap and if you pursue Chopper88 any further with ur nonsense about pips having no place in TT the Goon Squad will personally visit and slap ur pinky. I know Taekwondo and 10,00 other Korean words.

I will not slap your finger if you keep questioning our current leadership.

Edited by BH-Man - 09/24/2021 at 2:18am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2021 at 1:11pm
👍👍😂
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2021 at 10:50pm
USATT CEO does seem unfortunately inept. 

Not to defend her but juniors have to be thought of...this decision was correct. 

Anyone seen the audit online, USATT basically failed it. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2021 at 2:51am
FS1,
Please shows me and the forum the link, would be willing to take a look.

Edited by BH-Man - 09/27/2021 at 2:51am
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2021 at 11:07am
Hi BH Man and forum followers, 

Bottom of this page here: https://www.teamusa.org/footer/ngb-audit

There are a number of other NGB's too with audits, USA Table Tennis is one of them. It is a PDF that you have to click on. 

I am not able to attach a PDF on this forum link, but it is right there. 

Xiao

Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 10:31am

Originally posted by FS1 FS1 wrote:

Not to defend her but juniors have to be thought of...this decision was correct. 

Don't you think she must have considered the possibility of the great opportunity of getting some of the world's best players coming to WITTC to play in US Open before she offered a date to ITTF for WITTC ? She could have asked the ITTF to schedule WITTC a week before US Open dates, which she knew more or less beforehand that it takes usually in mid December.  

What a horrible screwup.

Even if ITTF could not offer a later date (which ITTF easily could have, since WTTC have highest priority other than Olympics & any other ITTF event dates could have been changed),  isn't getting World's top players to play in US Open a higher priority than juniors (at least for once)  because it is not like WTTC comes to USA every few years. In fact this is the first time in almost 100 years.  I don't think the main focus of US Open is local juniors, it is the overseas stars. The main focus of juniors is probably US Closed if any, and definitely not the US Open.

Unbelievable missed opportunity IMO

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Tisch Tisch wrote:

I don't think the main focus of US Open is local juniors, it is the overseas stars. 

Have you ever been to one? 

USATT: ~1710
Dr. Neubauer Barricade Def - AK47 Red - Dornenglanz OX
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 11:00am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

I don't think the main focus of US Open is local juniors, it is the overseas stars. 

And your point is ?
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 1:17pm

And your point is ?

that your statement that pgpg quoted is completely and utterly wrong
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 1:21pm

Don't you think she must have considered the possibility of the great opportunity of getting some of the world's best players coming to WITTC to play in US Open before she offered a date to ITTF for WITTC ? She could have asked the ITTF to schedule WITTC a week before US Open dates, which she knew more or less beforehand that it takes usually in mid December.  

What a horrible screwup.

Even if ITTF could not offer a later date (which ITTF easily could have, since WTTC have highest priority other than Olympics & any other ITTF event dates could have been changed),  isn't getting World's top players to play in US Open a higher priority than juniors (at least for once)  because it is not like WTTC comes to USA every few years. In fact this is the first time in almost 100 years.  I don't think the main focus of US Open is local juniors, it is the overseas stars. The main focus of juniors is probably US Closed if any, and definitely not the US Open.

First of all, it's wttc, not wittc. Secondly, with the amount of prize money in the US open, top international stars would not play it regardless. Nobody is spending extra time in the US and missing their contractual obligations with leagues, teams etc so that they can risk injury playing amateurs in the US open for 8000 dollars on the line. 

Virginia Sung has done much wrong as usatt ceo. This is not one of them.

Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

What a horrible screwup.

First of all, it's wttc, not wittc. 
The  Individual Championships is unofficially referred to as  WITTC (World Individual TT Championships) as to differentiate it from WTTTC 

[/QUOTE]
Secondly, with the amount of prize money in the US open, top international stars would not play it regardless.  [/QUOTE]

There may not be lot of pro stars but there will be enough players even second tier players.

[/QUOTE]
 Nobody is spending extra time in the US and missing their contractual obligations with leagues, teams etc so that they can risk injury playing amateurs in the US open for 8000 dollars on the line. 
[/QUOTE]

It is crazy to suggest that many foreign players won't want to spend time is Las Vegas.  If the US Open was after WITTC and before Christmas there would definitely more players at US Open staying for WITTC. Injury talk is nonsense as I don't think there are major ITTF events after Christmas. But as I said, even if top stars did not play (which I disagree) , there will be enough stars. I can only think of Chinese stars not playing but very few other country stars especially second and third tier. For USA even fourth tier stars is good enough.

Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 2:01pm

And your point is ?

that your statement that pgpg quoted is completely and utterly wrong

How is my having been to a US Open have anything to do with the issue at hand ? There in itself the question by amateur & your illogical defense of his question, totally invalidates any and all credibility to your answer as severely biased 
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 3:04pm

How is my having been to a US Open have anything to do with the issue at hand ? There in itself the question by amateur & your illogical defense of his question, totally invalidates any and all credibility to your answer as severely biased 

Which "question by amateur"? You seem to be a very confused and careless person.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 3:16pm

If you had ever been to a single US Open (and have two working eyes), you would realize how utterly absurd a statement it is that the US open is geared towards international stars and not domestic/local juniors.
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Which "question by amateur"? You seem to be a very confused and careless person.

Yes I am a carefree person. You never made any mistakes in your life ?

I meant pgpg not amateur.

But I am sure most readers with basic common sense would have figured out who I meant & your reply is simply & only strictly meant to harass me  

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 3:36pm

It is crazy to suggest that many foreign players won't want to spend time is Las Vegas.  If the US Open was after WITTC and before Christmas there would definitely more players at US Open staying for WITTC. Injury talk is nonsense as I don't think there are major ITTF events after Christmas. But as I said, even if top stars did not play (which I disagree) , there will be enough stars. I can only think of Chinese stars not playing but very few other country stars especially second and third tier. For USA even fourth tier stars is good enough.

so your entire argument is based upon you being completely unaware of the fact that the T League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Russian League, French League, etc. all run through the November and December time frame, leagues in which nearly all the WTTC participants are contractually obligated to participate in. but you are just convinced that professional players will hang around for an extra week or two, paying their own way, to play in the lowly US Open because they want so badly to be in las vegas in the winter (a location where it has been held for many years and always failed to attract top talent).

but yeah USATT should lose nearly their entire domestic player base who will have school and work in the time between thanksgiving and christmas so that we can attract a small handful of 4th tier pro players who aren't playing in european and asian leagues, right?

Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 3:44pm

If you had ever been to a single US Open (and have two working eyes), you would realize how utterly absurd a statement it is that the US open is geared towards international stars and not domestic/local juniors.

Why do you have to go to a US Open ?  Since you ridicule me & less fortunate blind people, I think a blind person can figure out by looking at the event list list that US Open by its very definition an international event & not primarily geared towards any one age group.  If you read teh prospectus it clearly says "The US Open, which is America’s premier open event for players of all abilities, ages, genders, and citizenships" and not just juniors.

You also conveniently did not respond to what I said " The WITTC takes place first time in USA in 100 year history. There is nothing wrong if the focus for an international event like US Open can be on foreign stars"

But since you seem to be hellbent on arguing for arguments sake just for your some reason for some personal hatred towards me, there is not much I can do especially since you have made up your mind that these types of events must be mostly for juniors only. 

Edited by Tisch - 09/30/2021 at 3:50pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2021 at 4:07pm
[QUOTE=FS1]Hi BH Man and forum followers, 

Bottom of this page here: https://www.teamusa.org/footer/ngb-audit

There are a number of other NGB's too with audits, USA Table Tennis is one of them. It is a PDF that you have to click on. 

I am not able to attach a PDF on this forum link, but it is right there. 

Xiao

[\QUOTE]

Hi FS1 and anyone,

I took a look at the 2021 audit for TT NGB.

In the area of FINANCIAL OPS, they did a heck of a lot better. Troubling still is the no-chalant use/internal controls of credit card use.

What is particularly troubling is CNFLICT OF INTEREST has BIG ISSUES that are REPEAT VIOLATIONS and MATERIAL WEAKNESS from the last audit.

[Quote]FINDING: There are elements missing from USATT's Conflict of Interest Policy in the following areas: applicability; organizational expectations; disclosure requirements and process; reporting and resolution for potential violations; policy owner; and resources. Additionally, there is no documentation to demonstrate the formal review of completed conflict of interest disclosures and summary report to the board. The controls to ensure forms are annually received and reviewed are not operating effectively. For two of the samples tested, the conflict of interest forms were not completed in a timely manner. There were similar findings noted in the previous USOPC audit. The previous findings noted issues with the conflicts of interest forms not being reviewed and approved by the board or Ethics & Grievance Committee. There were also issues noted with USATT not following their conflicts of interest process consistently [\QUOTE]

Edited by BH-Man - 10/01/2021 at 4:07pm
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2021 at 3:20pm
Yes I noticed that as well. Lots of unfortunate things in USATT. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic