Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - bozbrisvegas 10 years hibernation...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bozbrisvegas 10 years hibernation...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cantreactivate View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantreactivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bozbrisvegas 10 years hibernation...
    Posted: 11/07/2021 at 5:57am
I can't work out why I can't log in to my bozbrisvegas account...  anyhow... whatever.

This is a rant thread so do not read on if you are not interested in hearing about how it feels to stop playing for 10 years and then try to come back.

So some how my now young daughter got me to open up the table tennis table.  We had some fun, and it just sucked me back in for the last couple of weeks to try to remember the game.

I called up some TT friends and soon realised all my muscle memory was gone.  Now after 2 weeks of spending all my free time trying to get back into it, I feel like my game is pretty close except one very big thing... my forehand is only capable of doing the right looping stroke from 3 metres back from the table.

Every forehand loop I attempt anywhere closer hits the bleachers at full velocity.  

I refuse to ever use $130 AU butterfly products from now on.  Yes I was mad about tenergy and the new dignics I briefly tried felt nice, but stuff that.

I tried the H3-50 on my backhand and love it.  It's $100 cheaper and plays the short game and has gears in my opinion... 

Now I just need to train up my forehand and find something much lower throw since everything I loop goes long.  I want to learn how to drive much more as I am getting older and my weight running around is hard on my knees and lower back.

I bought a new blade even though I have many dormant ones.  I love the versals weight and feeling for my backhand but I feel because it has no momentum on mass that my forehand is suffering.  

I will try the heaviest blade I have soon to see if it helps keep a straighter stroke and less responsive to a loose grip.  The light blade is great for recoiling for the next shot but if I don't put my finger behind the center of the back of it, it feels like the angle is too easier to change.

Anyway all in all, it's great to be back into playing, I lost 5kg in 2 weeks!  Another 20kg to go and by that time I hope that I will find my forehand again.

I hope to return to competition once it doesn't feel like I am totally uncoordinated.

Yours trully 

Boz.

Sponsored Links

Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 11:04am
Congratulations, 10 years is a long time out of the game and its great fun.

It's great you are having fun EJing, just remember the rubber/equipment you'll like in the medium/long term probably isn't the one that you'll like whilst your in their weird coming back phase, so don't expect to love it when your playing level is 5-6 levels higher than it currently is - the tradeoffs you want now, may no longer suit you then.

As you noted, your physical shape and many other things (i.e. relearning) are what's leading to your forehand at the table being so poor compared to 3 metres away, which should only get better. I played 20 minutes of tennis the other day after about 15~ months out, and everything is often a bit off.

Lastly, to temper that - I'll be the bearer of bad news and say you probably haven't even lost half of that 5kg yet [as fat] unfortunately. It's largely water weight that you've lost.

2 weeks. 5kg = Around 40,000 calories. 40k calories/14 days is around 2800 calories per day you'd need to lose.

What would involve eating maintainence ~2000 calories per day, and playing around 6-10 hours per day, every day for 14 days at your current ability to exert [which isn't quite FZD yet], and you'd also probably be passing out from incredibly low blood sugar levels and countless other damage when running such a huge calorie deficit for so long. 

Someone online ran a 2000 calorie deficit for 2 or 3 weeks, tracked all his hormone and the like levels, and managed to do tremendous change and  damage to his body.

The point is to keep at it but the progress will take a lot longer than 8-12 weeks to lose 20kg of fat.

Edited by Basquests - 11/07/2021 at 11:07am
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantreactivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 3:31pm
HiBasquests thanks for the reply.  

You know where I am at well. 

On the weight loss, I will explain more detail...

Roughly 4 years ago I was peaking at around 100kg.  And then I did one thing.  Quit my drinking alchohol.  In one year, I lost 25 kg.  You can count those calories some how, because I don't know how it works exactly, but yeah I felt both out of it but also very light and I started enjoying walking a bit too.  Not much but all things are connected, but one thing is the trigger.

Since covid I started drinking again, out of work, sat in front of a computer for almost 2 years and I hit 100kg again.  

3 weeks ago I finally started a job once a week, so minus those booze days, and I have replaced my booze with 'low or no carb' beers.

Most days in the last two weeks I have spent about 4 hours of pure sweating at table tennis.  During this time there is no booze drunk, instead replaced by tons of water.  

So playing table tennis is actually not only burning calories but also not consuming them in the first place.

Do I feel spaced out?  YES.  If I am causing damage to my body, I'll take it over another glass.

Wink

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 3:34pm
Nice to see you back!!!
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 4:26pm
It´s a pleasure to know your comeback!!! ClapClap
Rosewood V FL

Thibar EL-P MAX FH

Rozena MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantreactivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 4:42pm
Cheers Baal & Jonyer!

On topic of my forehand, it has always been my weakest part of my game even when I was at the peak of playing.  And in actual fact, the one great thing about posting so many of my TT sessions online I have been able to spot and copy again my 'unique' grip for it.

In this video, probably one of the last of me playing, I was living in Thailand, where I would ride 30 minutes on a bmx bicycle to and from my friends place in the scorching heat after riding to and from a school I was teaching at.  That was a lot of calories burnt and I was drinking like a fish...  

Anyhow the point is my index finger raises up to the middle of the back of the blade for any non-passive forehand... something I totally forgot till two days ago... and I was using yasaka balsa blade in this vid too... 

I'm dark haired dood.

Edited by cantreactivate - 11/07/2021 at 4:58pm
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 8:31pm
Welcome back Boz! Clap
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by cantreactivate cantreactivate wrote:

HiBasquests thanks for the reply.  

You know where I am at well. 

On the weight loss, I will explain more detail...

Roughly 4 years ago I was peaking at around 100kg.  And then I did one thing.  Quit my drinking alchohol.  In one year, I lost 25 kg.  You can count those calories some how, because I don't know how it works exactly, but yeah I felt both out of it but also very light and I started enjoying walking a bit too.  Not much but all things are connected, but one thing is the trigger.

Since covid I started drinking again, out of work, sat in front of a computer for almost 2 years and I hit 100kg again.  

3 weeks ago I finally started a job once a week, so minus those booze days, and I have replaced my booze with 'low or no carb' beers.

Most days in the last two weeks I have spent about 4 hours of pure sweating at table tennis.  During this time there is no booze drunk, instead replaced by tons of water.  

So playing table tennis is actually not only burning calories but also not consuming them in the first place.

Do I feel spaced out?  YES.  If I am causing damage to my body, I'll take it over another glass.

Wink

Stopping drinking alcohol explains it - when you stop drinking alcohol your water retention decreases.
Combined with the fact you are dieting and exercising, leads to the 5kg.

Good luck, your touch is very good from the video!
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantreactivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2021 at 10:15pm
thanks Haggisv, 

Basquests, you sound like a doctor or a nutritionist.  Great knowledge.  I have always wondered why drinking bloats out the stomache...  I have never looked into it but water retention sounds logical.  

Thanks for the info and well wishes from everyone.

forehand update:

today I played my mate Bill and a few randoms socially.

It was good to get the time with just softly looping/lobbing trying to get the stroke back.  I like to call it loobing ... lol 

In games with Bill I don't ever have a chance to play many forehands because his level is way above me now, but he enjoys beating me because I used to beat him ages ago HAHA.  

I also like playing players lower than my level now.  The give me a chance to play against those slower dribbly type of shots so I get a chance to keep 'loobing' and not getting punished for it.

Some people refuse to play lower level players, but I have always played everyone because I believe to be the best you should be able to return all kinds of shots, slow, no spin, long pips (on one side attackers) etc.  

It's all better than sitting at home.  I also enjoy seeing lots of 'old' faces who have never quit.  The social side of it is important to me too.  I feel I have matured a bit with my attitude toward the game and losing too.  I used to get so dam upset when I felt I was going backwards and get so invested in rankings etc.  Playing 'off-line' is way better for me still, but just cherish having partners to send me a ball to return.

I just had a weird thought.  Maybe I was a dog in another life :)  ...

there is a movie forgot the name... some guy remembering his previous life as a dog when he got drunk off a particular wine.

enough rambling

Boz

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2021 at 6:49am
welcome. Back! 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2021 at 3:56pm
Hi Boz, you probably don’t remember me… anyway, nice to see you back! Do you care about getting your old ID back? Let me know the (private and hidden) email on the Boz profile for a formal authentication and I’ll PM you new credentials to your new account (that I will disable after confirmation that you are in control of your old ID).

Edited by stiltt - 11/08/2021 at 3:57pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantreactivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2021 at 1:27am
Hey Yoyogi,

and its probably best I stick to my old acc.. thanks 

so if you can send deets to z****b*****@*******.com  great.  I can't remember which other ACC...
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2021 at 7:17am
t's great you are having fun EJing, just remember the rubber/equipment you'll like in the medium/long term probably isn't the one that you'll like whilst your in their weird coming back phase

As is well known, whatever blade and rubber you are currently using is wrong.  There are better ones.  Get a new blade and new rubbers.

This is a permanent and on-going tip intended to be continually applied, irrespective of your playing outcomes.  Never be deceived by contrarian influences.  Stay the course!

Thanks.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantreactivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2021 at 8:23am
haha Don well spotted.  

I for one will never say tenergy is not something I would happily never divert from if I were sponsored...  (a lot of double negatives in there)

but seriously the tack + more 'spring spongy' copies DHS are producing are so far for me way beyond my skill level on my forehand to notice the difference or give a flying F over.

That kind of said.

hurrican 3-50 really feels similar to tenergy 05 fx - regardless if the topsheet has been cleaned or not... its pretty much substitutable in my last couple of weeks.  Because it's soft, the tack wearing off slightly = makes little difference.  

I am an ej junky but not blind to the fact that technique is king.

keep loobing :)

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2021 at 8:43am
Remember,  the correct number of blades to own is N +1 where N is the number you have now.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2021 at 11:31pm
A never ending cycle lol.

I've been lucky to get a lot of work recently, so not much TT but I did have a few things to add to this 'diary type of post'

1.  Tuesday night I played competition as a fill in at Division 4 (I used to play Div 1).  There was no other way to play that night since the hall packed 100%...  I won my games with my serve and backhand.  Forehand I just blocked or fished back.  Once I had a 2 point lead I tried to loop kill with my forehand and a few went on but most attempts hit the bleachers.

2.  I've mucked around a bit with the pen hold grip, and find I can get a much more horizontal angle for my forehand more comfortably... and surprisingly can drive loop the ball much easier at the table. There's something about having fingers behind the surface area that appeals to my confidence or logic...
 I can do weaker backhands with that grip too...  My fingers do take up a bit too much real estate.

I'm wondering if I might get away with switching between grips / alternating between points.  Emphasizing backhand with shakehand in one point, then emphasising forehand with pen hold...

3.  The pick up the ball tackiness of my H3-50 has totally gone now but the rubber is extremely grippy still, and possibly easier to play some types of shots...  Punching the ball with my backhand is obviously going to be better with less tack...

4.  I've been using a Michael Maze straight handle (love this hande)  and I feel a lot more comfortable with getting the ball back to the table with more power especially in more careful or passive shots.  It's not feeling heavy 'yet' 
Michael Maze Straight handle + Hurricane 3-50
table tennis video
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 4:10pm
Robots or not...  recycling + two wheels + cheapest

table tennis video
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2021 at 4:51am
General update.

Short pip trial today = NO way.  

I am still on the fence about the robot.

Still avoiding forehand looping kill shot practise to let injury heal more.

Beat a whole heap of guys who I guess around div 4.  Had a few games with Dan in Div 1.  Clearly he has a forehand so could capitalize on chances to attack...  so they were lopsided games for me.  There's no way I can get back into div 1 before my forehand comes back.  And even though I always say forehand, it really means timing, body work, footwork etc....  I am still wondering about penhold for at the table.  By the way he was using regular Hurricane 8 and I didn't notice anything slow or un spinny about it.  I think I will get a sheet to try...

My backhand opening up flick is pretty spot on and won me lots of points today or set up what would be my finishing shot once I get my forehand going again.  

All up, I feeling positive.  Smile

Felt great to be back at the club even though it was 30+ C inside.
table tennis video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic