Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Russian youngster playing Drunken Fist style.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian youngster playing Drunken Fist style.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russian youngster playing Drunken Fist style.
    Posted: 11/12/2021 at 8:55pm
Swift backhand tactics never seen before.

https://m.youtube.com
Meet Russian lad 15 Y.o., Gleb Shilov.
Formidable backhand attacker.    
Sponsored Links

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2021 at 10:28pm
looks dangerous!

What does he use on his backhand Igor?  It almost looks like he’s hitting side under spin with some of those returns?

How does he fare against lefty attackers?

Cool video 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 1:29am
Hello chronos, it's so good to see you back. It's funny boz and you leave for years and come back the same week Big smile

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 2:51am
That's a dam unique and effective tool there.  Looks like he does have a forehand if someone goes wide enough on him.

stilltt, Yeah we had it in the calendar for a while lol  
Michael Maze Straight handle + Hurricane 3-50
table tennis video
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 7:20am
This is exactly how the guy with penhold inverted FH + long pips RPB plays, it's frustrating af to deal with this style. Just way too many return options that they have with illogical and disgusting spin variations....

Tbh I haven't figured out a good strategy to beat these guys except for the long serve to the BH and then attack the return hard and hope it doesn't get returned Dead

Edited by blahness - 11/13/2021 at 7:21am
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

This is exactly how the guy with penhold inverted FH + long pips RPB plays, it's frustrating af to deal with this style. Just way too many return options that they have with illogical and disgusting spin variations....

Tbh I haven't figured out a good strategy to beat these guys except for the long serve to the BH and then attack the return hard and hope it doesn't get returned Dead

If you look at the scoreboard it looks like he is losing at least some of the matches. When you cherry pick the good points I think it is more impressive than reality. But agree, I would not want to face a player like this.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 10:48am
When I started playing with LP a couple of weeks ago I was practicing against the robot.  As kind of a joke as I was about to quit I took a couple of sideswipe hits like that.  I was surprised that most of them went in and at good speed and wide angles.  I spent some extra time working on the shot since it looked promising.  Have not spent hardly anytime trying it against a real player.  The few times I tried it was pretty bad.  Seeing this video makes me want to go back and work on the shot some more.

Mark - Who is trying to bring light (and laughter) to the dark side.

Edited by mjamja - 11/13/2021 at 10:49am
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 2:18pm
I am guessing he's using short pips so it is actually worth putting so much action into side spin.  

His red rubber he uses for serve so looks the typical inverted.

The black rubber could be short pips or anti spin... I'd be surprised if it is long pips because he is timing them at the top of the bounce and the ball does not do that backspin float from what I can see...

I have used long pimples and against topspin I tend to take the ball right off the bounce and reverse the spin back...  

Anyone understand Russian?
Michael Maze Straight handle + Hurricane 3-50
table tennis video
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

If you look at the scoreboard it looks like he is losing at least some of the matches. When you cherry pick the good points I think it is more impressive than reality. But agree, I would not want to face a player like this.
Yeah that's true, he is losing some of the matches here.
I think this guy in the video doesn't have a very strong FH, the two guys I play with would absolutely crush a lot of the loose balls I see in the video. His LP skills are sick tho. It's an extremely lethal combo, solid LP play + skullcrushing FH. 

I think the reason why he doesn't have a strong FH is coz his right foot is in front most of the time...he has to switch to a more square stance to attack with the FH. But then maybe that's the secret to his BH LP skills so idk....

Edited by blahness - 11/13/2021 at 2:50pm
-------
Butterfly Viscaria

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 3:07pm
The video looks like highlights of a single match where the BH kid loses 0-4. How was the opponent able to win 4 straight games? If the BH kid is hitting 1 winner for every 2-3 losers, then it's not so impressive.

Looks like a great change of pace style, but has limitations when used for every shot. Could be much more deadly if he could mix the side swipe with a conventional BH attack and side swipe in the opposite direction.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 4:09pm
Carl Prean did this better
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 4:21pm
The kid in question does play with long pips on the BH.  He lost the match overall, but the opponent was a considerably higher rated player, probably equivalent of a 200-250 points higher in US rating.  Given their Russian rating, there were probably roughly 2000 and 2200.

The video was posted by one of russian coaches who was pointing out how well developed that odd BH shot is and how much better the kid could immediately be if he added a little more forehand to it.  The FH rubber is indeed inverted, but the kid appears to mostly use it for service variation.

ILya
BTY Ovcharov ALC ST
Dignics 09C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic