Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - intercostal strain anyone?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

intercostal strain anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intercostal strain anyone?
    Posted: 11/14/2021 at 12:59am
I am wondering if anyone has ever strained the muscles in their lower ribs on their playing arm side?

I know I shouldn't pretend to be a doctor, (I don't like going to them to tell me to rest and take pain killers) but this pain started creeping on me over the last few days and just became unbearable suddenly while I was playing an hour ago.  The only change in my life really is a return to TT.  I've never had this injury before.

Yes I have been swinging wildly trying to find my forehand stroke... A LOT  till I couldn't swing it at all with out a sharp jab...

But if I am the only person who has ever had this pain, then I should go see a doctor in case it's something else....

I have a bag of ice on the area while I type to lower inflamation if its the case and already feels better.

Whatever the case it looks like I won't be holding a bat for a few weeks.

DAM IT

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/14/2021 at 1:06am
Michael Maze Straight handle + Hurricane 3-50
table tennis video
Sponsored Links

Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2021 at 8:30am
You don't need to see a doctor for sports injuries, a physio is what you need. Their job is to see sports injuries and rehabilitate, a GP likely hasn't seen a sports court/hall for decades and is more concerned with other more 'serious' conditions [not understanding a lack of table tennis is code red, medically].

Also, your level and enthusiasm as a player has bested you as I mentioned earlier - the body simply is not as resilient to injuries and sudden increases in load, especially outside of your teens and 20's. You are a talented player, and if you manage to play 20 hours a week, you'll improve say 30% week on week, and have so much fun. But playing a bit less, will lead to more weeks on the court.

I went from around 7 hrs per week to 11~ hours per week, over a period of 3.5 months, and have been injured since Nov 2020, aged 27, weighing the inverse (72kg) - and it'll be tomorrow I have my first session with a human since March, and 350 days since I've had a session at 80%+ confidence in my foot.

From what you were saying, you are a fair bit older, a lot heavier, and went from playing 0 hours/week to perhaps 15-20 hrs / week, almost immediately. See a decent physio, do what they say, and get to bashing the div 1 players soon, otherwise even if your rib injury recovers quickly, how long will it be before you get tennis elbow/some repetitive strain injury, or tear a muscle / ligament from literally any part of your body as it's all struggling.

It's tough, but take a break otherwise you'll be forced to take one.

Edited by Basquests - 11/14/2021 at 8:34am
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2021 at 10:29am
I had pain in my ribs and it went away after two weeks with no paddle.
I do regular stretches to prevent this from recurring.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2021 at 3:02pm
Hey Basquests,

I''l give it a few days of rest and if I see no improvement I might see a physio... my doctor is free.  I do get your logic... I was wondering if an inflamation drug might help though.

I'll have be more conscious of limiting my swing time when I do return as you say.  I have had injuries before, usually sore shoulder, elbow, knees, lower back.  They all usually take a few days.  The knees and lower back are mostly weight related so I am going to start fast walking a lot.  

It must have been so frustrating with your long forced lay off and exciting to get back into it slowly.

Thanks Pitgoi,  I am happy to know I am not the only one that can do this particular injury.  

And I am going to stretch much more, warm exercises next time.

table tennis video
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2021 at 9:38pm
I know this sounds stupidly obvious, but I just took some nurofen and I feel 90% better suddenly.  The injury must be inflamation then. 

I will stick to my guns and not play till I am 100% without drugs though.  

I lost a day of work today to this, if I had only taken nurofen as soon as I woke up I would have gone to work...

table tennis video
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2021 at 9:50pm
I did it once sneezing. Hurt for a week or so.
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 12:20am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Hey Basquests,

I''l give it a few days of rest and if I see no improvement I might see a physio... my doctor is free.  I do get your logic... I was wondering if an inflamation drug might help though.

I'll have be more conscious of limiting my swing time when I do return as you say.  I have had injuries before, usually sore shoulder, elbow, knees, lower back.  They all usually take a few days.  The knees and lower back are mostly weight related so I am going to start fast walking a lot.  

It must have been so frustrating with your long forced lay off and exciting to get back into it slowly.

Thanks Pitgoi,  I am happy to know I am not the only one that can do this particular injury.  

And I am going to stretch much more, warm exercises next time.

Good luck, I know from working briefly in Australia [ i'm a Kiwi], the guys in charge of workplace safety / incidents definitely said our system had better coverage - here any sports injury acute or chronic is covered. From my understanding, it needs to be chronic to be covered there :(.

Hopefully it's minor and you'll be able to get back to a moderate schedule soon.

Thanks, yep injuries suck. I had my first hit  with a human since March, a few hours ago, am still buzzing much like you've been! It's truly a wonderful sport. My opponent today is one of the best in the NZ [top 10 or 15, been to worlds etc/represented NZ many times] never taken a set off of him before and rated well above me.

Had 2 or 3 match points in the 4th, got pipped in the 5th. Heart rated was between 160 and 190 during the match, hadn't done a serve for months so they were uninspired and high and still didn't have the best confidence to move quickly, let alone stay low / receive serves / reset after serving / use my backhand passively.

But the robot training and change to SP's  on the FH [Falcks] have transformed my game, performance levvel and allowed me to compete even without any match fitness. A few more training sessions  with decent players and adjusting robot drills, and we'll be flying. He has a tremendous amount of experience and great stability to his game, so it was nice to have the recognition as he gave me his thoughts, as a competitor you just want to compete and eventually the wins and respect will come.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 1:45am
Baal, Daniel Cormier (former UFC light heavy weight champion)  did his back in by sneezing.

And yeah coughing absolutely killed before I took the drugs.

Bas, how cool to play such a high level guy and do so well.  I too ordered some short pips thinking if my forehand isnt going to come back I may as well reduce the stroke length... I have mucked around with SP before and I haven't given up on getting it back for now... I think it should take a year to get confident but now I seem to be getting work almost daily suddenly.... ahhhhhhhhhhhh  I had almost 2 years I could have done this daily and now when I just get into it I start getting work!  Not complaining.

Man I wish I had a robot, because I know I would be able to get my forehand back in a month.  

1.  can use it at your own pace and when have free time at home.
2.  don't care about annoying people when you miss
3.  not bending over picking up balls (the hardest part of the game for me)

Keep it groovy!
table tennis video
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 5:07am

Baal, Daniel Cormier (former UFC light heavy weight champion)  did his back in by sneezing.

And yeah coughing absolutely killed before I took the drugs.

Bas, how cool to play such a high level guy and do so well.  I too ordered some short pips thinking if my forehand isnt going to come back I may as well reduce the stroke length... I have mucked around with SP before and I haven't given up on getting it back for now... I think it should take a year to get confident but now I seem to be getting work almost daily suddenly.... ahhhhhhhhhhhh  I had almost 2 years I could have done this daily and now when I just get into it I start getting work!  Not complaining.

Man I wish I had a robot, because I know I would be able to get my forehand back in a month.  

1.  can use it at your own pace and when have free time at home.
2.  don't care about annoying people when you miss
3.  not bending over picking up balls (the hardest part of the game for me)

Keep it groovy!

Yeah, I follow UFC a lot too, DC definitely has complained about 'when you hit 40, you just cough and you throw out your back!' ...Hilarious but scary! Those guys also sacrifice their body immensely - Bispings eye, anyone fighting Gaethje. Tony doing all sorts of weird stuff to strengthen his body. We're lucky we don't have to face those issues let alone any leg kicks in TT.

Yeah, my opponent is a fantastic player, actually been top 10 for years. The robot really helped me technically, as before I started using it / just before my injury, I was probably one of the weakest technical players in the top 100 [ranked 60th]. 

I got by on having a very slanted and porous skillset, and I used it efficiently [i.e. Good flat hit, decent loop, good serves/rec and good attacking BH and pushing on both wings]. . Allowed me to take initiative on points on both serve and receive, and avoid long, even rallies where both parties are at the table [i.e. BH to BH, loop to loop, or just rallying full table] by being the first aggressor / countering loops, as I'm very weak in many 'fair' exchanges, as well as having had poor/slow footwork for a young man.

Now, with the robot my strong skills are very strong, and some things I was historically poor at, I'm ranging from being 'passable at a strong level' to a new-found crutch.

I'd definitely get one if you can, I literally haven't changed my SP FH  much at all, after 2-3 hours experimenting with the robot. Its pricey but it should last a good 5-10 years, and allow you to learn literally 10x faster, and far more regularly as you say in your free time. With someone whose touch and pedigree as good as yours, I'm sure you'd get to a very good level with all your strokes / footwork, within 20-40 hours with a robot.

I used to annoy plenty of people when I'd miss  too, because my shot technique / foot movement was not good for many shots - so my timing would have to be spot on to make up for that and it often didn't, especially in a warm up / against a much better player. 

Now, I'd feel far more confident in missing less during warm ups / drills / rallies, hence the increased confidence when doing so in matches!

Edited by Basquests - 11/15/2021 at 5:08am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 5:53am
Cool, I am or was at the pub for every UFC event for the last few years.  Only started missing stuff since my recent return to TT like a wild throthing rabid dog.  Cool

I won't hide the partial cost of my best level either.  I blew a few thousand dollars on a butterfly amicus robot back in the day, and know that without it I would not have rushed through the divisions so quickly.  

Sure I played more hours with whoever I could, but I also always had the robot there for shot practise.  

I have wondered if a big drop of cash is worth it.  Or if I should just keep going back to the club because I found once my shots got right I didn't really need the robot anymore.... and sold it.  

People are always better to practise with once you have your strokes in.
table tennis video
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 6:36am

Cool, I am or was at the pub for every UFC event for the last few years.  Only started missing stuff since my recent return to TT like a wild throthing rabid dog.  Cool

I won't hide the partial cost of my best level either.  I blew a few thousand dollars on a butterfly amicus robot back in the day, and know that without it I would not have rushed through the divisions so quickly.  

Sure I played more hours with whoever I could, but I also always had the robot there for shot practise.  

I have wondered if a big drop of cash is worth it.  Or if I should just keep going back to the club because I found once my shots got right I didn't really need the robot anymore.... and sold it.  

People are always better to practise with once you have your strokes in.

Ah, you've flipped the tables on me. Here I am preaching to the god damn Pope.

Well, I know the path has been set before me, do consider the fact that Amicus Prime [ or Power Pong Omega] have improved over time, depending on which Amicus you had / was available, as it has been a wee while from your other posts. 

Playing through the App with those special versions, instead of a mechanical control set, allows for far more  access to variation, advanced drills and hence captivates the attention and allows for far more, as well as being quicker/easier to use to access a multitude of drills.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I did it once sneezing. Hurt for a week or so.

lol, i had food poisoning and vomited a few hrs. in a day and this happened to my rib muscles aching for 2 days
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 3:32pm
I had the amicus 3000, probably the best at the time.  I justified the price by calculating how much I would have paid a coach to feed me balls on a daily basis and come to my house to do it and pay the table hire.  

I have checked out what's on offer these days, I'm a bit worried of buying anything not from a reputable dealer still because so much can go wrong...

I don't really want much more than the ones that look under $1500 AU.  There's two one Chinese and forgot the other.

It has to be ball recycling and with at least two wheels to be able to vary the spin/speed ratios.  

Yogi, I stayed at home watching my kid with a fever and vomiting over the weekend, and it was painful enough... I was thinking if I got it off her + this pain I would be screaming.

Anyhow, I woke up today and I feel without the drugs about 10% better... I am guessing at least 10 days before this heals.

Back on the nurofen and off to work... 

table tennis video
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2021 at 4:33am
So almost a week later, today I felt a drastic improvement in my pain levels.  Not 100% overall, but 100% when moving around and doing almost anything apart from the mad forehand stroke that feels like what ripped the muscles in the first place.

So I went to the club and did my whole game apart from forehand attempts and wide backhands.  Surprisingly all was good... before heading home at the end I tried a few forehand loops and then stopped because there is still a niggle there.  I will give it another week before I start swinging it more again.

Good news!

And I will remember to these two stretches before I play from now on.  (You can really see where I would have ripped it in a forehand stroke, because the arm goes way over the head.)

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/20/2021 at 5:03pm
table tennis video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic