FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT return diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2022 at 6:38am
I got 2 hour in today with LP on MM.

Beat steven in I guess 5 games straight.   He smashed every high ball... got boring picking them up and most he missed or left a spot on my body...  So it seemed LP worked there fine.  

Probably 1.5 hrs with Ken, who I killed in the first games like 11:2 11:4 etc. but later he started changing and I guess I too was practising or trialling other things.  He did get a few games off me more than I think last time.  But I won't put down to I shouldn't used LP.  He was actually scared and hesitant of them and I too was finding new areas I enjoyed using them.  Instead of my usual avoid using LP as much as possible, I was on a use LP to return serve as much as possible and this is an area where I think I haven't really dwelled.

I tended to chop any sidespinny serves better as the afternoon went on.  And Yeah.  I can return most these serves with greater consistancy and following on effect.  Never going to be my modus operandi but it was cool using the strengths that way for a bit.

---

As can be imagined Michael Maze blade makes it a little harder to do everything (nearer the table) apart from get advantages on a good flat slap but I know I should give it more time to get used to it.  There were countless times just putting my hand out to reach a ball was enough to get back on the table at speed from most distances.  It does take a good sense of bat angle to get this right but it felt doable mostly.

The sound of the blade has totally changed with OX LP on one side and the balance is different and I believe it will take a bit more time to get used to speed it can now produce with such little weight again.

The Michael Maze now feels ridiculously fast again.  Don't need anything faster at all.

Overall, I want to try a bit more sponge on the LP side to see if it helps in something like giving a bit more feeling before the ball hitting the blade.

I felt chopping wasn't more difficult with the MM.  If anything the MM just made my inverted side a bit more difficult to get used to than using the Grubba all round.

---

Chopping both wings has felt easy and natural.  I end up putting more time in on my fh chopping mostly though since we play games to win.  I still practise my FH loop kills and they remain generally the same, win some lose some points doing it.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 05/08/2022 at 7:01am
Twiddling MAZE off st Baby-oiled Hurricane 2 2.2 38 degrees + Friendship 755 OX LP
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2022 at 12:02am
Lots of moisture today at the club.  I fell down twice but was OK.  Moisture is LP styles friend because makes little difference to the contact.

Got a good 3 hours of honing my whole game today.  Even my FH loops have been getting better.  

'New' things for today:

1.  trying to BH punch with LP on higher balls are decadent.  This avenue I want to work on because they are dam fast no spin rockets.  Smashing with FH is just as scary for the opponent.

2.  started serving with the LP just straight fast 'knuckle' balls, is actually very effective especially when waiting for a BH counter drive with inverted.  The serve in itself is hard because most people are used to a different speed/timing.

3. I am working on strategy against players that move back where I can play my strengths.  Toward the end I was controlling the opponent on their FH side, while playing attacking BHs but if they went wide enough on me I could get them a dead LP turned to backspin winding them back into the table before BH attacking again while they are close.  Obviously, attack shots are more effective against someone near the table with less time to adjust.

4.  The thick solid squarish handle of the MM is not ideal for twiddling.  I have sometimes used my freehand to help flip it.  More importantly, my FH has been improving with a more 'orthodox' grip, where I do not strangle the head or put a finger behind it to control FH shots.  This seems to be helping with looping although it takes more confidence it ultimately is the way to get maximum head speed.

---

Overall, as always, LP on one side will always mean I have to develop patience.  I have lost about 40% (10 % at least one can predict which side they hit to and then twiddle)  of my ability to attack whenever.

At the very high end of playing against strong players, where who attacks first wins, this will be hard to stick with.  For now I enjoy the variety.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 05/12/2022 at 12:20am
Twiddling MAZE off st Baby-oiled Hurricane 2 2.2 38 degrees + Friendship 755 OX LP
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic