Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Twiddling shakehand & penhold + RPB
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Twiddling shakehand & penhold + RPB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twiddling shakehand & penhold + RPB
    Posted: 11/20/2021 at 3:08pm
I have always been a shakehand player.  My backhand has always been better than my forehand.  My backhand does the thumb up at the back and is a large stroke usually, but can get more punchy when needed.  My forehand did at the peak of my playing become very good and nobody would have given me a weaker return to there because they knew I would loop kill it.

10 years later, that forehand has disapeared.  I feel that I just cannot twist my bat angle to a horizontal position to loop balls above the table height.  I find it very uncomfortable to keep the high amount of twist in the wrist to get the angle right.  I find to get the shakehand loop near I have to invest in large amounts of body turning and lowering, spreading out my legs and feel like it is a taxing solution to recovery and just general fatigue on the body at best.  I still feel the shakehand forehand for my current play incapable to loop the ball as hard as I want to over the table.

Surprisingly, I tried the penhold grip and found I can keep the horizontal bat angle without much effort.  Looping and driving over the table and near the table a huge increase in accuracy.  I am talking like 80% better.  And with actually spending time with it, I believe my forehand would get to 100% there.

The trade off is my backhand RPB turns into a I-can-get-the-ball-back-well-enough, not aggresive enough... shot.  Having said that because my backhand has always been stronger, I think it has to do with the less triangulation of ball direction (the ball is coming directly at you so your eyes, bat, and ball are more aligned)... with practise it might be faster to make stronger than relocating my forehand shakehand.  

So my backhand shakehand loop attack is strong.
My forehand penhold loop attack is strong.

Because the penhold grip is new, my serve complexity is very weak, but twiddling with aid of my non-playing hand would not be a problem.

I don't know any pros who switch between grips, and I know 99% of advice would be not to do it.  
But feels so good to hit a forehand loop kill shot again.

I know that my backhand away from the table would need to be shakehand much more than my forehand needs to be penhold.  So I am thinking of switching to shakehand when in high pressure away from the table, but play penhold sometimes at the table.  Especially if a player notes my weak forehand near the table.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Who knows, in time I might turn into a penhold player... it surprisingly feels like a blind spot in all my EJ life that I had never ventured into trying out.  I might just end up a penholder who might occasionally twiddle for a much stronger backhand occasionally.  And also develop PH serves gradually.

Finally, there are a lot LP & inverted twiddlers at my club and when I say that their LPs don't bother me they generally say, it's just more fun.  Similarly, if it is bad habit to twiddle grips, it is dam fun and might cause some disruption/oddity to how the opponent sees my odd grips change. 

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/20/2021 at 4:06pm
Michael Maze Straight handle + Hurricane 3-50
table tennis video
Sponsored Links

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 2:20am
OK I am going to update and say after a session of trying penhold style against good players, I am only good at the forehand in a warm up scenario and the reverse backhand much weaker than I thought.  

There are so many other parts of the games like pushing and dealing with slower, balls etc. that I am back to the beginner stage.  

God dam I can be so full of S*&t.  I really thought I could do much better than I did with it ....  I ended up just returning to shakehand so that I didn't make a fool of myself LOL.  

great idea NOT

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/21/2021 at 2:20am
Michael Maze Straight handle + Hurricane 3-50
table tennis video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic