Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The End of the Harimoto Dream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The End of the Harimoto Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 9:02am
I can't say what's right for HT.  But if I was able to be Japan's top player early in my teens, beat ML at age 14, a chance at multiple Olympics and World Championships, and make millions of dollars from career + endorsements, I would easily skip college to see how far my TT passion takes me.  As others have said, you can achieve a degree later in life.  However, an athlete's physical prime years is much more limited.  Best of luck to him whatever he decides.

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 12/07/2021 at 9:07am
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Harimoto's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

How many times must he prove you wrong, before you stop doubting him?

He's a fascinating talent, even with various handicaps he will shine very brightly. I should really hope he doesn't let college distract him, I don't understand how that's a sound financial decision. He will always make more money [and enjoy] by focusing on TT full time. Hence, the studies are a distraction, and you can only have so much time / focus / energy in a day. You can't train, fatigue, rest, and study and do all of those things without concessions.

Most athletes try go full time, but aren't talented/financially set enough to avoid working/studying part time. In Asia, sometimes the dream is to be so good that you can train part time and study, apparently.
that is so funny about the dream part (not saying Basquests made this up).  If you don't have to train full time to be good, why does one not train full time and be dominant.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 10:28am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

I don't get all the fuzz about this.. Mizutani entered at International stage very early also, attended university and got a medal at Rio at 27yo. 

Forget about beat chinese, Harimoto fight is for bronze medal aganist LYJ, Hugo and others and he still can do that. Eventually these guys can win a match aganist CNT but they are not in the same league at big events (WTTC and Olympics)
if that is what HT's limit as far as aspirations go, then I think it is appropriate.  But many people are talking about bigger things

Edited by tom - 12/07/2021 at 10:29am
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

He will always make more money [and enjoy] by focusing on TT full time. 

says who? you, or him?
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by andzejgolot andzejgolot wrote:

he was out of training for long time before WTTC

source on this?

Edited by idk - 12/07/2021 at 3:52pm
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 12:30am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

I don't get all the fuzz about this.. Mizutani entered at International stage very early also, attended university and got a medal at Rio at 27yo. 

Forget about beat chinese, Harimoto fight is for bronze medal aganist LYJ, Hugo and others and he still can do that. Eventually these guys can win a match aganist CNT but they are not in the same league at big events (WTTC and Olympics)

I was wondering why you namechecked Hugo with TH/LYJ, then i saw your location haha.

andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 3:32am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

source on this?
You must be really out of shape to take L from Dyjas. If you are top 20 and not european player. No disrespect for Jakub he can still make problems but only for EU players, his identify is like I can beat top EU player and have problems with Asian 3rd choice
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 6:44am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

source on this?

Interesting you ask from a source from a guy who has not even tried to take back all the nonsense he said about Kanak in light of recent events.  I would just take it as another example of his fantasy writing.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 12:30pm
Harimoto has been admitted to Waseda University. He will major in Human Sciences, the only major in which correspondence course/distance learning course is available.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202112240000982.html
Quote 東京五輪の卓球男子£体で銅メダルを獲得した張本智和(18=木下グループ)が来春、早大人間科学部(通信教育課程)に進学することが24日、分か£た。

現在は日大高(横浜市)に通い、20日に合格通知を受けた。早大生として3年後のパリ五輪を目指す。

Edited by zeio - 12/25/2021 at 12:30pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 12:54pm
I am not fully up on Japanese universities, but isn't Waseda considered top flight?
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 1:27pm
Years ago the Japanese College all-star team would visit the USA to play events for a few weeks.  One of my college teammates at the time was fluent in Japanese. He asked one of the Japanese players, who was also on the Japanese National Team, what his daily course work was like.  How was it possible to be in college and on the national team at the same time.  He laughed and said "My apartment is here.  The college is this way to the left, my girlfriend's home and the practice hall is to the right.  Everyday I wake up and go to the right." 

Maybe Harimoto won't have to study much being a star athlete in Japan, but who knows. 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

Years ago the Japanese College all-star team would visit the USA to play events for a few weeks.  One of my college teammates at the time was fluent in Japanese. He asked one of the Japanese players, who was also on the Japanese National Team, what his daily course work was like.  How was it possible to be in college and on the national team at the same time.  He laughed and said "My apartment is here.  The college is this way to the left, my girlfriend's home and the practice hall is to the right.  Everyday I wake up and go to the right." 

Maybe Harimoto won't have to study much being a star athlete in Japan, but who knows. 
I think is an excuse for his defeat. He never says his opponent played better. 

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 7:26pm
Hi,

Happy Holidays to All and Best Wishes for the upcoming year!

As the author of this thread, a point of clarification.  

The "Harimoto Dream" phrase in this context is understood to be a dream of a hope for the sport.  This phrase is not intended to represent a dream held by the player himself, to be superimposed upon him.  I know not his aspirations.

The "Harimoto Dream" is, to state with some precision, that we have the potential before us in the Table Tennis World of a player that will be able to play at or above the Chinese standard level of his era.  Expressed differently: He will achieve what Waldner and Persson decades ago did, which is to be successfully competitive with the best the Chinese had to offer in their era.  That is the "Harimoto Dream."

"The end of" phrase is a speculation on the assumed demands of the typical major college matriculation.  These assumed demands may be misplaced.  On its face, it may not be what it appears to be.

The new year is upon us!  As to the topic of this thread, I am in a hopeful mood.

Thanks.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2021 at 10:53am
In Japan, Waseda is usually ranked top 3 among private institutions and from top 10 to top 20 among public and private institutions. The founders and many former/current presidents/ceos of Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Nintendo, Casio, Square(game company), Taito(game company), Tamiya(plastic model kits), Samsung, Lotte etc. graduated there.

Edited by zeio - 12/26/2021 at 10:55am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Happy Holidays to All and Best Wishes for the upcoming year!

As the author of this thread, a point of clarification.  

The "Harimoto Dream" phrase in this context is understood to be a dream of a hope for the sport.  This phrase is not intended to represent a dream held by the player himself, to be superimposed upon him.  I know not his aspirations.

The "Harimoto Dream" is, to state with some precision, that we have the potential before us in the Table Tennis World of a player that will be able to play at or above the Chinese standard level of his era.  Expressed differently: He will achieve what Waldner and Persson decades ago did, which is to be successfully competitive with the best the Chinese had to offer in their era.  That is the "Harimoto Dream."

"The end of" phrase is a speculation on the assumed demands of the typical major college matriculation.  These assumed demands may be misplaced.  On its face, it may not be what it appears to be.

The new year is upon us!  As to the topic of this thread, I am in a hopeful mood.

Thanks.
Waldner played a final after 2 worlds harimoto hasnt played not even a semi  after  3 worlds and a olympic game despite all the hype.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2021 at 6:23pm
it is sad that people gives him a lot of pressure when young players have different vibes
girls, money, cars, clothes  and rap music.
We should start put pressure on Sora Matsushima, he looks very focus on game and we see Ma Long vibes in his touch shots
Zhang jike blue dragon is the worst blade!
From reactional paddles
To playin' some of the hottest TT equipment World has ever seen
From droppin' some of the hottest equipment advices TT has ever heard
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 11:35am
The cowboy hat is a hit with the Harimotos

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 4:07pm
Waldner played a final after 2 worlds harimoto hasnt played not even a semi  after  3 worlds and a olympic game despite all the hype.

You are not in a hopeful mood.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 01/02/2022 at 4:08pm
Ignoramus et ignorabimus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2022 at 5:01am
Harimoto won't use zhang jike blue dragon so his dreams are still real. 
Zhang jike blue dragon is the worst blade!
From reactional paddles
To playin' some of the hottest TT equipment World has ever seen
From droppin' some of the hottest equipment advices TT has ever heard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic