Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Cybershape Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Cybershape Blade Review
    Posted: 12/09/2021 at 5:38pm

Stiga Cybershape Blade

Weight: 84 grams

Thickness: 6.1mm

Blade head Size: 155mm x 157mm

Plies: 7 (Koto Outer -2nd layer ayous? – CCF layer – Ayous?)

Speed: Off to Off+

Now I have it in my hands! I had the new Stiga Cybershape blade 2 weeks ago and I spent a lot of time testing this and also showing it to other people. Stiga has spent a lot of effort for this product. For the first time, I have seen they have doubled their efforts even just the packaging. The box itself has instructions on how to care for the racket and the box design is out of the ordinary packaging for a Stiga blade. The packaging really stands out from the rest of their blade boxes because this one is unlike any other blade box they have made and it is beautiful to look at.  The Blade itself is unique. Actually, I did not expect Stiga to gamble on this design because it is unconventional. I was doubtful at first to be honest. There are types of players like me who are bothered by certain blade designs maybe on the little obsessive-compulsive side but I really wanted to give the Cybershape a try. Afterall, it is the way a blade plays and the performance that makes it a great blade. Aesthetically speaking, the hexagonal shape is not for everybody but the more you look at the Cybershape blade, the more it becomes pleasant to watch. In my own opinion, this looks better than the Damien Eloi Blade which looks like a violin or a Madara character accessory from anime.

The Cyber shape has a 155mm width and a 157 length when I measured it. The measurement for its width was measured on its widest bilateral pointed parts. The sides measure each 8cm and 7 cm alternately starting from the top of the blade. For years, I have been bothering Stiga about the neck or wing part of their blades because we all know Stiga blades need sanding on their blades. The Cybershape on this area has a good feature because due to the angled designed on the bottom part of the blade, the neck or wing part is much smaller and it does not bother my middle finger anymore. I do not think you would need sanding of the neck part anymore for this blade. The top koto ply is lacquered but the seal is thin so I suggest you would still seal the blade before gluing rubbers onto it. The metal logo is a first too from Stiga. The changing of colors when vexposed to light at different angles reveals a bluish or purple hue and this is beautiful to look at. I would say the construction of this blade is very detailed and impressive.

The speed of the Cybershape is actually not too fast. Although it inclines more on the off+ side, it is still not that fast compared to previous Inspira, Legacy or Dynasty blades. It is plenty fast but despite having a 6.1mm to 6.2mm thickness, it is not on par with the previously produced blades by Stiga. In my opinion, Stiga made this blade as a more controllable blade because of their DNA Platinum rubber series. The Platinum rubbers especially the Hard and Extra Hard versions are one of the fastest rubbers in the market right now so it is only fitting to pair it with a controllable blade. I have tried the regular DNA H, Dragon Grip and an entry-level Chinese rubber on the Cybershape and I would never categorize the setup as a slow one. Even with the entry level Chinese rubber, I never felt the blade to be slow. In fairness, I did boost the entry level Chinese rubber but the difference between the boosted and unboosted one is very small in terms of speed so it would still indicate that the blade has more than enough speed to cover the Chinese rubber’s slow speed. I encourage everyone to maybe consider a setup that has a more controllable blade with fast rubbers instead of the opposite because the blade is like an extension of your arm and it is easier to handle a more controllable blade rather than using a very fast one even with a slower pair of rubbers.

The Cybershape has a medium stiff feel. The 6.1mm to 6.2mm thickness makes it thicker than most of the looping blades in the market. The Cybershape’s performance is not really mainly on its speed but rather on the good and unique feel plus a balance of easy handling and good speed. Do not expect too much speed from the Cybershape but expect the good ball feedback in your hand to play better. Due to my being partially obsessive-compulsive, had this been a regular shaped-blade this could have been the perfect blade but if you can look past the hexagonal shape of the blade then the blade’s performance will make up with the unique shape. The arc is mostly affected by the rubbers you use. I used the DNA H regular, Dragon Grip and an entry-level Chinese rubber for the test and the set up overall has a medium to medium low arc.

Now for some concerns of most people. Does the Cybershape vibrates a lot? Definitely no! This has the finest feeling of all Stiga composite blades right now and never had excessive vibrations. Does the Cybershape help players hit better with its increased hitting area? Yes and no. To some extent if your hitting area is scattered, the large sweet spot will help you in a way but for trained players usually the ball hits an area of 2x2 inches in the middle of the blade head so I do no think it matters a lot. Can you use rubbers from normal shaped blades to the Cybershape. I know people have concerns about transferring and reusing rubbers due to the unique shape of the Cybershape but so far, only rubbers from large headed blades like defensive blades could be reused with the Cybershape. Does the angled or pointed sides of the blade hit the table when doing short strokes like dropshots or flicks? No, I have not experienced it. I did hit the angled side of the blade with the ball but it was more due to timing because the blade was lighter than my original setup.

Stiga took a lot of gamble in making this blade and in my opinion, they succeeded! I have heard Stiga sold a lot of Cybershape blades after Truls Moregard reached the finals. Some would argue that he is a pro and he can use any blade but we can also argue the other way around that the blade really plays well and I believe it goes beyond the shape. I am more focused on how it plays as what I was pointing before. This is a great blade if you can look past the unconventional shape. I have seen some blade makers online follow the shape of the blade so it might be something! Overall, this balde will not disappoint you in terms of performance and feel.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2021 at 6:11pm
thanks for the review
plazm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote plazm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2021 at 6:13pm
Stiga should release Cybershape Clipper or other all-wood variant, and I will buy them for sure..
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2021 at 10:03pm
I still wonder why everyone who talk about this blade call it "hexagonal shape"...
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2021 at 10:14pm
Heptagon sounds weird.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 1:47am
I heard a lot of good stuff for this blade, will most probably try it when it comes out. I heard the increased sweet spot helps tremendously in reducing unforced errors.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 3:11am
Perhaps what remains from Stiga is a cybershape ball Wacko
Stiga has been selling the same old blade compositions and designs forever now. They have not innovated with new materials or composition like Butterfly or Xiom (lately) have, so they have gone overboard with changing the head shape...bonkers

Does this blade have joint or is it jointless?
How high/low is the balance point? Is it head heavy?
What are the chances of clipping the edge when hitting a half long ball?
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 4:37am
Given the blade is 220euro and rubbers are going to be junk if you don't like it, seems like a 300 euro experiment.

I'll wait, although I do think it'd suit SP FH / my game, potentially. Just may be too fast.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Given the blade is 220euro and rubbers are going to be junk if you don't like it, seems like a 300 euro experiment.

I'll wait, although I do think it'd suit SP FH / my game, potentially. Just may be too fast.

It may be too soft for SP but the speed is not too fast. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 6:37am
As always in reviews everything is perfect :)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 6:38am
The core is most likely kiri.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Yes because I cannot fund the holes of an ayous layer that is why i placed a question mark. 

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 10:44am
From the review, I gather the cybershape dimension is an unnecessary inconvenience as far as swapping rubbers is concerned and without enough offsetting benefits.  My take save- your money and use it for a superior regular blade unless this novelty tickles your fancy.  Perspective from a value (cheap) guy.
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

From the photos it looks 100% kiri core.
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

It may be too soft for SP but the speed is not too fast. 

I don't know too much about hardness and softness, I just know what plays wells and tinker from there, knowing I probably won't benefit from a huge change in stiffness/hardness/throw. 

Given I use Falck's SP's on the FH [Razka PO] with an Acoustic Inner carbon [medium hardness], I'll have to do more research and see where cybershape stacks up relative to my blade.

I'm sure given Falck's SP's are kind of a halfway house between old-style SP's and normal rubber, its far less solved/temperamental towards slightly softer blades etc. You can loop/push with heavy spin, normal spin, loop (or push) w/ no spin or flat-hit. It's just yeah,  the tradeoff flat-hitting is not nearly as easy as it would be with classic SP's.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 11:33pm
This will probably play amazing with high dwell rubbers like the cheapo tacky rubbers haha
-------
Viscaria

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 11:37pm
Stiga is missing the boat here, they could have sold hundreds of these in the United States if they were available.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 1:51am
PLAGIARISM AT 220 USD.
Fine doings these. They took over the original plywood structure from a China maker and they just cut off the original ellipse..
The original Chinese blade is here.

Be happy.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 2:56am
Just a common blade with..a different shape...
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 3:53pm
Most stores will not have these blades until Feb. 

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 6:48pm
Heh, keep a dress seven years and it comes in vogue again.
Chinese product to offer you playgame just the same as the Sweden's.

Be happy. Play the game on the economy benefit.

Edited by igorponger - 12/12/2021 at 7:08pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Heh, keep a dress seven years and it comes in vogue again.
Chinese product to offer you playgame just the same as the Sweden's.

Be happy. Play the game on the economy benefit.

Igor the mad umpire strikes back.
ddoocc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddoocc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2021 at 1:18am
All blade makers have their own version of Viscaria, and probably also have their own version of Inner force ALC, it's not a shame.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2021 at 5:20am
Yogi: Did you find it easier or harder to cut the rubbers for this blade?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Yogi: Did you find it easier or harder to cut the rubbers for this blade?

it was easier bro. it's just that I am used to cutting rubbers in a single or 2 slices.

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2021 at 9:29pm
Hi, 

Oh, this is precious: The detailed review poster is in the Philippines and the poster has the blade?  The Philippines?

Now it is obvious what is needed for the best understanding: How does it compare to the much-used popular blades like Viscaria and the Timo Boll series.  

The interesting and informative review indicates it is a first rate blade; if so, it is not inappropriately priced.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi, 

Oh, this is precious: The detailed review poster is in the Philippines and the poster has the blade?  The Philippines?

Now it is obvious what is needed for the best understanding: How does it compare to the much-used popular blades like Viscaria and the Timo Boll series.  

The interesting and informative review indicates it is a first rate blade; if so, it is not inappropriately priced.

Thanks.

Second the motion for the comparison to Viscaria.
-------
Viscaria

dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2021 at 10:40am
Viscaria is more rounded blade.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by dajdosta dajdosta wrote:

OK, that's a start.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by dajdosta dajdosta wrote:

Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic