Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Back of the hand serve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back of the hand serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back of the hand serve
    Posted: 12/25/2021 at 12:08am
it is very easy to serve a killer dead ball off the back of your hand.  Is it legal?
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 9:41am
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 10:50am
Yes, legal. Also possible to serve with the bottom of the racket handle with some practice. Expect lots of arguments. I would say not worth it.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 11:37am
Oh I misread it.  I thought you were tossing it off the back of your hand.  Back of hand is below wrist so it's legal.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 11:52am
Legal. Probably not very easy to do successfully/consistantly. Worth it? Against some players absolutely
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Legal. Probably not very easy to do successfully/consistantly. Worth it? Against some players absolutely

Very easy and very effective if you only do it once 

Try it. Bet you can do it first try.

What about a rule any surface intended for striking must have rubber?

Edited by cole_ely - 12/25/2021 at 2:41pm

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2021 at 5:15am
Even if you can control it, there is 0 disguise since it can only be a dead ball. You would get flicked badly against any competent player.... Much better to serve a dead ball using the rubber.
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2021 at 7:35am
Drop shots using that technique can be deadly because they are unexpected and the opponents will be racing in his thoughts about legality, then panic and make an error like hitting below the net or popping an easy to kill dead ball.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2021 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Even if you can control it, there is 0 disguise since it can only be a dead ball. You would get flicked badly against any competent player.... Much better to serve a dead ball using the rubber.

Well, you have to punch pretty hard to make it go, so they're not looking for a dead ball at all. Your motion says long serve 

Like I said,  it can work once per opponent. I'm not saying it's a mortgage shot.

Edited by cole_ely - 12/27/2021 at 2:09pm

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 4:48pm
There are all sorts of strokes that are technically legal but are not deliberately done during a match.
Example, double hits, hit to hand/fingers, hit to blade handle, hit to blade side.
They are legal only because it is expected that good sportsmanship will prevail and players won't do them deliberately.
There is no rule against them because it is so difficult for match officials to to make a correct call. Thus they only occur as accidents. That's why we, as honourable players, apologise for edge/side/double/hand hits.
If you want to test how far a referee/National organisation will tolerant your behaviour, go ahead and practise those strokes. See what happens.

Edited by Tinykin - 12/29/2021 at 4:54pm
>67yo, presently overweight rather than obese.
Darker Speed 90 (x3) with various rubber combinations.
(Present favourite)- Darker 5p-2A, 5ply Hinoki blade with T05H/T05H

Delusion is an asset
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 8:18pm
The back of the hand serve is much more complicated than most realize.  The striking placement can be varied from near the wrist up to and including the knuckles.  Near the wrist the back of the hand is flat and produces a dead serve.  Striking nearer the knuckles with a relaxed grip allows use of the raised tendons to impart some spin on the ball.    Striking with the knuckles (an advanced technique) produces an unexpected direction of travel somewhat like an LP sideswipe does.  

As to the ethics of the back of hand serve,  I feel it is completely ethical.  The "double hit" rule specifically makes a distinction between intentional and unintentional.  However, the below the wrist rule makes no such distinction so I feel fine about doing it on purpose as much as I please.  I do draw the line at hiding contact such that the opponent can not see whether you used the hand or the rubber.  Luckily this is such  an advanced technique that it is seldom a problem in a match.

Mark -  Who obviously has way too much free time to practice weird serves.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic