Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - backhand rubber for back hand serve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

backhand rubber for back hand serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backhand rubber for back hand serve
    Posted: 12/28/2021 at 10:38am
What kind of rubber do you use on backhand that is good for serve as well? I saw some players twiddle after serve, but that is another transition that I would like to avoid. 
Sponsored Links

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2021 at 2:26pm
Equpment is always a trade off between what it can do and what is most important to you.  

General consensus is that tacky rubbers allow for the greatest amount of spin compared to how much mechanical penetration is required.

Most people might also agree that the backhand tends to be too slow to be using a tacky rubber for driving looping smashing with it.

There lies your problem.  You need to find a trade off between those.  Which is more important to you in your game?

Now if we avoid general consensus, and hear that there are people moving to tacky rubbers on the backhand too since the new ball...

You'd probably come to a similar middle ground that I am using.  A heavily boosted very tacky Hurricane 2  on an offensive blade.  My trade off is that I can loop and drive and serve and play the short game very well, but I can't punch the ball like a non tacky rubber.

What is a good backhand rubber that doesn't serve that well for you?  

To me price is a large factor too.  Expensive is not good for me.

An expensive rubber might last a long time, but it might also take a nasty graze of the table for example. (I tend to hit the table once every few hours of play)

Hurricane 2 is $21 AUD.  It has the widests pips = most contact area between rubber and sponge = strongest bond if the glue is equal in the series.  It also has a harder sponge = much less likely to ever tear when moving it off and onto other blades.  So this makes it the safest rubber that can handle extreme boosting and equipment experimenting for me.   
TSP Versal + Baby-oiled Hurricane 2
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 5:08am
Don't do BH serves lol, they're just not as effective as say reverse pendulum or hook serves
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Don't do BH serves lol, they're just not as effective as say reverse pendulum or hook serves

I guess Ovtcharov didn't get the memoLOL
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 10:55am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

What kind of rubber do you use on backhand that is good for serve as well? I saw some players twiddle after serve, but that is another transition that I would like to avoid. 

But that is the easiest transition to do. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 11:53am

For older people or players without very good footwork, BH serve offers an edge to easily get ready after serve without worrying the wide forehand.

A lot of amateur players do BH serves, at least as a variation.  
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

But that is the easiest transition to do. 

Twiddling from backhand to forehand is easy? Maybe I will give it a try. and it will make the grip loose after serving.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 3:33pm
In doubles twiddling is never an issue.  In singles you want to practise twiddling a lot so that the only thing you are focussed on is their service return.  Watch 

Mattias Falck twiddle every serve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mmisrB1Uo ;

The backhand serve is not as effective on topic of hiding the most amount of your arm swing before contact.  It can be very effective for producing much more action on the ball at a different angle though.  Especially a fast long backhand topspin sidespin serve... I find this much harder to hide and pull of with FH with the same right hooking spin coming from me.

I like doing this serve from my wide FH side making it similar to how a lefty would serve the usual pendulum.  Just have to be quick to move back to your ready position.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 12/29/2021 at 3:38pm
TSP Versal + Baby-oiled Hurricane 2
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2021 at 8:29pm

For older people or players without very good footwork, BH serve offers an edge to easily get ready after serve without worrying the wide forehand.

A lot of amateur players do BH serves, at least as a variation.  

True, the faster recovery time is a big plus. But it's much harder to get direct points from deceptive serving as compared to hook serves for eg...
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic