Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super big hands...handle circumference and length?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Super big hands...handle circumference and length?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ijhutch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super big hands...handle circumference and length?
    Posted: 01/02/2022 at 2:50am
From the base of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger is 9"/22.8cm, from thumb extended to pinky extended is 10"/25.4cm.

The handle on a standard paddle has always felt both small (circumference) and short (length) to me. 

Has anyone who has similarly large hands ever try widening and/or lengthening the handle?

If yes, how would you recommend doing it?

I use a shakehand grip.

Thanks.

Edited by ijhutch - 01/02/2022 at 2:53am
Sponsored Links

Antonlan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antonlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 6:59am
My hands are of comparable size. I have ordered custom blades from Hipnotic (active here and on ttd) with larger handles. These blades have been fantastic. Larger handle (and wings) really makes a difference.

Edited by Antonlan - 01/02/2022 at 6:59am
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 7:47am
Try Stiga legend handle
bmontana33 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmontana33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 10:08am
Hi ijhutch,

Based on your measurements, we have similar sized hands, and like you, a regular handle feels small in my hand. After some research, I ended up ordering a custom blade with a larger handle through Blades by Charlie (BBC) in California. He was a pleasure to work with and he took great care making a handle to fit the measurements of my hand. My handle ended up being 112mm long and roughly 1 1/8 inch thick straight handle. Since, I've ordered a couple more blades from Charlie for family members and a couple of friends have also ordered from him.

I've included a link below of a review I did of my blade and in the beginning of the video there are some pictures of my blade, in case you're interested. 

Hope it helps!
ijhutch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 10:54am
Cool!  

What were the dimensions of your handle?  The blade?  What do you mean by "wings"?  And about how much did it all cost for a finished product?  As you can tell, I'm pretty new to this scene.

I'm trying to figure out if there is some kind of fitting standard (like there is in tennis where when you wrap your hand around the grip you should have one finger width of space between the tips of your fingers and your palm).

Thanks!

ijhutch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 11:15am
That's really cool with the video you posted and review and all.

What were the dimensions of your blade?  How did you end up on 112mm length and 1 1/8" circular circumference?  Looking at how it fits in your hand, proportionately I would need like a 125mm length.

How much was the final, playable product?  I'm pretty new to all this but am super excited!

Thanks.
Antonlan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antonlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 11:42am
Hi,

The first blade i ordered was 112/34/29mm squared straight. I realized I actually prefers the handle to end further into the palm than this handle did (more whip in BH strokes) as well as the handle being too thick for fast grip changes which I use. I’ve now settled with a more modest 105x29x24 square straight with larger (wider) wings (the part of the blade face closest to the handle. 

Sdc blades have all the info on https://www.sdcttblades.com/prices including prices. Sérgio is fantastic to work with. Can highly recomend!

Edited by Antonlan - 01/02/2022 at 11:43am
bmontana33 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmontana33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2022 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by ijhutch ijhutch wrote:

That's really cool with the video you posted and review and all.

What were the dimensions of your blade?  How did you end up on 112mm length and 1 1/8" circular circumference?  Looking at how it fits in your hand, proportionately I would need like a 125mm length.

How much was the final, playable product?  I'm pretty new to all this but am super excited!

Thanks.

Like you, when I was considering getting a larger handled blade, I wasn't exactly sure how much larger handle I needed or would be best for me. Only that the blade I was using (Stiga Clipper Classic legend flared handle, which is the bigger handle version of that blade) only went roughly 3/4 of the way down my palm and felt too small. After reading many reviews on blades and custom blade makers, I ended up working with Charlie (BBC). There are other custom blade makers, like Antonlan mentioned, for instance SDC (and I enjoy looking at the pics of the blades he posts), I just can't speak to them personally as I have only worked with Charlie. 

After reaching out initially to Charlie via email, we ended up speaking over the phone to discuss my playing style and what I was looking for. After our discussion we decided to go with his hinoki ghost blade (offensive blade with softer outer plies for good overall speed, control, and ability to loop underspin balls), and he had me email him some pictures of my hand with measurements along with my current blade in my hand. From there he ended up making the handle length/width that it is, which I now love. It instantly felt better in my hand. 

I'd assume SDC or another blade maker would be a similar process (just possibly more communication via email if in different countries) for deciding the best handle length, width, style, and/or type of blade would be best for you. So, if you're interested in having a custom blade made for you, I would reach out to one of the experienced custom blade makers directly, like Charlie, and go from there. 

As for pricing, Charlie has different style blades with varying prices, which you can find on his website. Then pending what blade suits your game, there are many possible rubber combinations and Charlie has a good idea of which rubbers suit his various blades, so I'm sure he can guide you down a good path for an appropriate overall setup for your current playing level.

Hope this helps!
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2022 at 12:47am
Grip tape helps add a little bit as well, and has some additional benefits if you swear a lot etc.

I didn't get any hand feeling/feedback when playing, until i switched to grip tape.

Even then, the hand feeling only lasts whilst the grip tape is still in ok condition (i use tournagrip, the one dozens of ATP players use)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic