Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some Good Backhand Servers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Some Good Backhand Servers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Good Backhand Servers
    Posted: 01/11/2022 at 8:52am
I don't think the backhand serve gets the attention it deserves.  We've got Dima and most recently Primorac but I thought I'd post some of great backhand servers that are great case studies.

First up is Roland Vimi.  He's not the most famous player but his BH serves are beautiful.  Starts on his BH side close to the center which enables him to cut the FH sideline of a right-handed opponent.  Great BH loop follow up too.  Here he is against Ma Wenge.

Here, he displays a pretty good long BH serve down the line.  Unfortunately, it would end up in Uncle Jorgen's highlight reel.

I have not heard about him much but a quick search shows he's still alive and also this video posted about a year ago.  I'm glad he's still playing and it looked like he was having fun.

Next up is Geng Lijuan and below is her training video.  Her BH serve looks legal but with today's umpiring where a player can't just meet but has to exceed standards, she might have to toss a little higher.  Her variation of short and long is actually pretty good.

Below is Kim Song Hui.  He hides the racket under the free arm during the backswing.  I have seen combo players do this effectively and also add the racket twirling.  The J/K penhold grip allows for some extra wrist movement and sidespin variation.

Johnny Huang's BH serves look basic but are actually very tricky.  The threat of a quick, sharp follow up flat hit from both wings also contributes to the effectiveness of his serve.

Last one is Dmitriy Mazunov.  Looks like he's still active in the Bundesliga.  He has a scoopy motion on his BH serve.  One of his effective sequences is BH serve, FH flip, then rip a loop with the BH.  

That's all for now.  Who is your favorite BH server?

P.S. By special request, adding Kong's BH tomahawk serve.  

Edited by BeaverMD - 01/12/2022 at 2:12am
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 2:47pm
I can't get rid of the reverse pendulum but there is so much to be done with a bh serve, the treat of being already in position for the 3rd ball has so much value.

Thanks for sharing those, it's a library of bh serves.

What do you think of that one?

Edited by stiltt - 01/11/2022 at 2:51pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 5:33pm
No Kong Linghui?!
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I can't get rid of the reverse pendulum but there is so much to be done with a bh serve, the treat of being already in position for the 3rd ball has so much value.

forehand side backhand serve? let me find the video that have the same serve.. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 6:14pm

Here you are. One of the serves:

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 10:02pm
He's awesome, it does not matter that he does not face the table doing it however I can do short heavy topspin on the right for more unpredictability and he would have to change something for that, giving a clue.
This is the best thread that pumps me up in a long time!
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2022 at 10:28pm
I believe all 40+ year old two wing loopers should add backhand serve to their arsenal. 
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 2:04am

That is pretty good! I had a clubmate that used anti on the backhand and he would do something similar doing a BH serve but using the FH rubber.  His was more side under though.  I am curious if you have used the serve in a real match.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 2:07am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

No Kong Linghui?!

Kong's normal BH serve is not too fancy but his BH tomahawk deserves some attention.  Original post edited.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 2:30am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Here you are. One of the serves:

Oh wow! That is a nice video.  Thanks for that.  Can't wait to try number 7! It's nice to see Ma Long do that serve and having a little fun.  Seeing a clip of that match from 2013 made me a little nostalgic of when ZJK ruled the world.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 3:07am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

No Kong Linghui?!

Kong's normal BH serve is not too fancy but his BH tomahawk deserves some attention.  Original post edited.

Yep that tomahawk serve practically won him the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Waldner was just completely bamboozled by how much spin he actually generated there. There's sidetopspin, sideunderspin and no spin variants.
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
Harald View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 9:41pm
How could you forget Zoki Primorac?!?

Edited by Harald - 01/13/2022 at 4:37am
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 12:08am
There was an older Chinese player who came to the Teams in Baltimore a couple of times.  I think he was former National Team and when I saw him play he was already in his 50s most likely.  
 He played penhold with inverted rubber.
Easily the best BH serves I have ever seen.  I think his name was Liang Hong An.  There are a few videos on Youtube.

BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 09C
Dignics 05
Harald View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 4:54pm
Jörgen Persson mostly served Backhand,too.

allencorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allencorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 6:16pm
A lot of choppers have great backhand serves. Any Filus or Wang Xi match has lots of good backhand serving.
Harald View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 6:31pm
maybe you dont can`t trick as much with bh serve,but you sure as hell stand in the right postition (groundpose) after the serve,compared to the vh motion you do after the serve.
But beeing faster helps of course.

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 10:26pm
Start at 3:57

Edited by heavyspin - 01/13/2022 at 10:27pm
Trying to develop a fast short serve.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2022 at 12:42am
The first time I tried emulating Kenta's and Ding Ning's bh tomahawk serve at home, I walked like a duck for a couple days after (not counting hitting my ear a few times). It's like the pain in the calves we experience after jump roping too much when we are not used to it, OUCH!!!

I am not sure about the marginal value in involving the legs that much, it seems to me the same deception, speed, spin, placement can be achieved without the additional effort. There is some ninja spirit in doing it though the view at contact is awesome.

Now let's think of Dima bh serve: what's the plus in going down that much when at contact he is back up? I never understood the sense of that extreme crouching, it's more on the gimmick side to me, idiosyncrasy at its best, think of Joe Cocker moving his arms around lol. 

In Kenta's and Ding Ning's TBHS, contact happens while they are down and I see the value there, I still think the same can be done without crouching but the view of the ball going away at the level of our eyes for a while as we get back up is awesome and those people are such athletes, it does not matter much they waste a bit of energy doing it but I can't help thinking that at any level, waste is evil; and it gets more evil as we approach the top where every bit counts so I am not sure of anything other than at an advancing age, it's not for me for sure.

Edited by stiltt - 01/14/2022 at 12:43am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2022 at 12:56am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

That is pretty good! I had a clubmate that used anti on the backhand and he would do something similar doing a BH serve but using the FH rubber.  His was more side under though.  I am curious if you have used the serve in a real match.
I tried but no success, I never practiced it enough to make it a reliable weapon, that clip I shared is a lucky streak where I had more successful low serves than horrible killable ones. 
The value in that serve is that facing the table, we can give very short topspin or underspin balls but by going back one foot , we can do long serves that are still low. 
I am just lazy but I am happy I spent time on something that could have been... It's not too late, I just lack the motivation. 
As I get older and I like the reverse pendulum much, this serve is ideal, it is a reverse pendulum facing the table as blahness pointed out in another thread, but a harder one, the contact is much more subtle, that's why it's maybe not worth it.

dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2022 at 7:05am

The first time I tried emulating Kenta's and Ding Ning's bh tomahawk serve at home, I walked like a duck for a couple days after (not counting hitting my ear a few times). It's like the pain in the calves we experience after jump roping too much when we are not used to it, OUCH!!!

I am not sure about the marginal value in involving the legs that much, it seems to me the same deception, speed, spin, placement can be achieved without the additional effort. There is some ninja spirit in doing it though the view at contact is awesome.

Now let's think of Dima bh serve: what's the plus in going down that much when at contact he is back up? I never understood the sense of that extreme crouching, it's more on the gimmick side to me, idiosyncrasy at its best, think of Joe Cocker moving his arms around lol. 

In Kenta's and Ding Ning's TBHS, contact happens while they are down and I see the value there, I still think the same can be done without crouching but the view of the ball going away at the level of our eyes for a while as we get back up is awesome and those people are such athletes, it does not matter much they waste a bit of energy doing it but I can't help thinking that at any level, waste is evil; and it gets more evil as we approach the top where every bit counts so I am not sure of anything other than at an advancing age, it's not for me for sure.

At contact Dima's body is also at the lowest point. He is just not going that low as Kenta.
It's not they're using legs for BH tomahawk. As Dima said you gain control when your blade is near the head/body. That's the reason for extreme crouching.
If you're 3 foot tall no need to crouch.

Surely not applicable for all players, especially amateurs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic