Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bengtsson Interview On Coaching Truls to WC Finals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Bengtsson Interview On Coaching Truls to WC Finals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
edgesandnets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bengtsson Interview On Coaching Truls to WC Finals
    Posted: 02/01/2022 at 6:22pm
Read my blog on the pro table tennis circuit at EdgesAndNets.com
Sponsored Links

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2022 at 6:37pm
Really well done interview with useful video. There is a ton of gold in that article.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2022 at 9:27am
Hi,

Because I elected to be formally trained as a table tennis coach at the international standard, I sought and was successfully trained and mentored in an apprentice status by over ten top international coaches on this journey, through much time, expense, and travel. 

The remarkable intelligence, in-depth insight, and principle-based critical thought of Stellan Bengtsson as revealed in this interview makes understandable my three trips to Falkenberg, Sweden to be educated by him in my coaching education pursuit.  On all and every occasion, more and more was learned, as the subtleties of the sport, inaccessible to the insufficiently trained, were explained by one of the masters of sport's coaches.  Again and again, some simple behavior of a player was conceptually and pragmatically elucidated by Stellan, revealing an essence only the masters hold in their awareness.

Stellan's power of observation is of the highest caliber, permitting him to express to the learning information of superior value to the coaching function.  After very extensive exposure to this richness of intelligence, analysis, and precise expression, I concluded this top-of-the-world competency is without limit, that there is no end to what he sees, the depth of his vision, and the means of expression needed for communicating to the much-lesser developed minds. 

No substitute exists of an equivalent means to the apprenticeship role to a master of a craft.  It is instructive to note that Leonardo de Vinci was an apprentice to masters in the arts for eleven years.  I then understood.

As a source of a number of emotions, from humor to awe, I note that of three areas one may demarcate his functional life: as a player, as a coach, and as a person, his least competency was as a player, despite being the youngest Men's Singles World Champion in history.  Incurring the risks of swirling the mind, it is important to state that Stellan is a better coach than he was as a player.  His dedication and commitment to the profession and craft of coaching has blessed the table tennis world with a unique master of uncalculatable value.

For Stellan's quality as a person to surpass his playing and coaching standards is an observation many hundreds of people who know him well would agree with emphatically, as unlikely as it may be given his Mount Olympus attainments in playing and coaching.  

A big part of Jorgen Persson greatness is his intelligence.  Anyone with the exceptional privilege of knowing Jorgen as I have can reach no other conclusion.  He didn't call Stellan because Stellan was his friend; he didn't call Stellan merely because of his coaching status; he didn't select Stellan to coach the most important Swedish singles match in a very long time purely because of his background as a champion.  No, it wasn't those things; Jorgen's thought was to the quality of Stellan's character.  Jorgen knew only the very best could be dropped into this situation and not only contribute significantly but would thrive.  Of those of us with sufficient familiarity would say: "Of course he did!"  

Only the finest person, with the constant air of kindness, a warmth and respect for all around him, a humble demeanor yet forceful in his contribution, and an extraordinarily fluid and adaptable intellect would be able to succeed in this highest of coaching challenges.

In this, we have Stellan Bengtsson.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Really well done interview with useful video. There is a ton of gold in that article.
I agree 100%.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: C1
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2022 at 11:42am
Finally a subject where Donn Olsen's eloquence is not adequate to do justice to the topic.  Good try Donn.  But I think Stellan is even better than you so wonderfully tried to express.  One of the things not mentioned was his great since of humor.  It takes a lot to get a 65yr old suffering from exhaustion at the end of day 3 of 6hr/day training camp to laugh but Stellan could do it.  And make you excited about coming back the next day to be tortured more on top of it all.

Mark - Gratefully student of 3 Stellan training camps.

PS - His wife Angie is one heck of a player, coach, and person as well.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2022 at 9:53pm
great interview thanks for sharing

Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2022 at 8:16am
Stellan is the best!
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2022 at 10:21am
Hi,

This is the best table tennis interview I have ever read, a tribute to the interviewer's topical selection and phrasing that promoted the most detailed and expansive answers to be made, accompanied by selective video of precise application; and the interviewee, whose intertwining of observation, analysis, and insight brought to the most appreciative and blessed audience a richness of thought engagement in this table tennis episode as an opportunity never before to be had.

I thank you very, very much.

Donn
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 12:37pm
need more of this type of media for tt, interview was great
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2022 at 6:32am
Thank you for your work, never an article took me so deep into the big guys' game an it was the best trip ever.
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2022 at 12:34pm
Great interview.  Anyone know Who is netsandedges?
ttplayer23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2023 at 1:11pm
Hi, I wanted to read the interview, but the site doesn't work anymore. Is there a place I can still see it?
Thanks
ttplayer23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2023 at 1:51pm
Hey, is there anyway to read this interview, still? The site doesn't work right now. 
Thanks
apacible View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apacible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2023 at 10:13am
Originally posted by ttplayer23 ttplayer23 wrote:

Hi, I wanted to read the interview, but the site doesn't work anymore. Is there a place I can still see it?
Thanks

Originally posted by ttplayer23 ttplayer23 wrote:

Hey, is there anyway to read this interview, still? The site doesn't work right now. 
Thanks

Since the website is down, you can try using the Wayback Machine Internet Archive to Access the Original Link. Try this link:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic