Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - random TT diary of sorts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

random TT diary of sorts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2022 at 11:24pm
Back before the Youtube days, I was mad about TT and that's the first and only set of DVDs I bought.  

Classic tournament in my opinion.  The days of speed gluing Kreanga swinging. 
TSP Versal
fh: MX-S max
bh: MX-P max
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2022 at 3:56am
Lol i ended up ordering the Cybershape blade + Xiom Tau II on FH and Victas V15 extra on BH. Not sure why there's so little stock of everything around....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Back before the Youtube days, I was mad about TT and that's the first and only set of DVDs I bought.  

Classic tournament in my opinion.  The days of speed gluing Kreanga swinging. 

Haha that must be quite the sight. I came in much later - my first TT memories was with the huge Wang Liqin FH which was the most awesome thing to watch - like the hammer of the gods. Maybe that's why my BH really suffered a lot in development - I just wasn't as motivated to develop it back then....

Funny how everyone has much smaller strokes now and there's almost none of this wild big swings these days. 
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2022 at 7:53pm
Did a lot of BH focused and footwork training yesterday... the free arm movement (lat pull with both hands rather than just with the playing arm) really helps a huge ton in terms of accuracy, stability and power. When the timing is right, some of my BH loops with D05 were even faster/spinnier than my FH loops with the crappy D09c. The strange thing is that my D05 is actually older than my D09c - it's been like 8 months and still going strong!

With the BH, timing is really everything - sometimes it is even worthwhile to jump towards the ball to get to the correct timing - missing the timing window (especially being late to the ball) results in much lower shot quality in general especially if it's not hit in the ideal strike zone in front of the body or even slightly to the left. 

Also did some serve and receive footwork training, focused mainly on making the recovery after the serve and receive faster. I noticed that sometimes I kinda delay the recovery rather than doing that immediately. Basically the recovery has to be part of the stroke movement too - can't be lazy during training!
-------
Viscaria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2022 at 10:35pm
Looks like some EJing fun ahead.  My friend really likes that blade.  That FH rubber sounds and looks cool on the packaging.  Look forward to hearing about them.
TSP Versal
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2022 at 10:23pm

Looks like some EJing fun ahead.  My friend really likes that blade.  That FH rubber sounds and looks cool on the packaging.  Look forward to hearing about them.

Can't wait to test it out!
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2022 at 9:59am
Made some breakthroughs today. Although my FH rubber is just absolutely terrible, what worked was not going for the powerloops, but trying to go for max spin like Timo Boll...so apparently that still works for the D09c. It's just not spinny enough to bring the powerloops down to the table anymore ...  Unfortunately as I won't have any replacement rubbers anytime soon, I will have to live with not able to powerloop hard on the FH....which sucks Dead

With this strat and an improved BH (thanks to the free hand movement), I was able to stand my own in the rallies and win some games off this rally player playing aggressive table tennis instead of trying to win ugly lol. I still lost a ton of games in the beginning before starting to take over, so adding all of them up it was rather even. There were a huge ton of exciting topspin rallies going on (even loop to loop from mid distance) which must have drawn some spectators haha....
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 8:45am
I boosted the D09c with olive oil and it came back to life roaring lol. My FH powerloops are all back :O 

Played some doubles today and it was so fun... the games were somehow always quite close regardless of the pairing and doubles really punishes passive play - because the aggressive player doesn't need to worry about recovery - the partner can easily take over even if the shot is out of balance. With doubles I was doing mostly FH whole table (as it is the most efficient strategy) as it is the hardest shot to return by far, most flexible and consistent. My newly learnt FH flick became super useful because I could even punish most of the short no-spin and side-top serves, and still be ready to loop most of the long serves. The problem with using the BH receive/chiquita is that if the serve turns out to be long I'll have to make it a full fledged BH loop which is just not as strong as the FH loop - it is extremely hard to transition from a chiquita preparation stance to a FH loop. Also did a lot of quality short pushes which I normally don't get to do much in singles play - it is actually highly effective at shutting down a good player coz if you push short with quality they pretty can't do their high quality topspin opening loops. 

I don't think the receiver is at that much of a disadvantage in doubles as it is in singles because the available service placements is cut by half. Felt so much better in the serve receive compared to singles tbh. 
-------
Viscaria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2022 at 3:55am
So the tackiness is still there, just the sponge lost its flex/liveliness.  Cool if all it needs olive oil.

yup, serving for doubles has got to be tight.  I receive both ways see which works better with their serves, especially if my partner is strong FH... that way I'm out the way with bh receive.

TSP Versal
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 34 minutes ago at 10:39pm
Continued more BH training yesterday night - I did a lot of BH mid-distance "slow spinny looping" to improve my feeling for spinning up the ball and general moving towards the ball to further ingrain the non-playing arm movement into my consciousness. Felt really good and I reckon I should do more of these although my BH is still mainly a close-table BH - it really improves the spin feeling which is extremely critical to success rates. Mid distance looping is a real treat for the legs tho, i think it's as intense as leg days in the gym...

I played with a player who wouldn't practice properly, he was a penholder who goes RSM kamikaze smashing during practice, and even during BH to BH he's doing all sorts of nonsense (intentional imo) like going super wide on blocks, chopblocks and suddenly increasing the power.... So in the end I got fed up and just loopkilled the ball whenever it came to my side of the table, and I think he actually enjoyed picking up the balls all the time lmao.... Swear I'm never gonna practice with that guy anymore... 

-------
Viscaria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 13 minutes ago at 11:00pm
LOL there's always someone unhappy about what 'warm up' or 'practise' means.  I generally just tell the partner I want to practise this shot (hence I brought a lot of balls).  But if they intentionally (clearly) don't play to it for a half share then I do it back to them too.  In which case I just say play a game (because you obviously can't do anything else.)  Looking for another player....
TSP Versal
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 46 minutes ago at 12:27am

LOL there's always someone unhappy about what 'warm up' or 'practise' means.  I generally just tell the partner I want to practise this shot (hence I brought a lot of balls).  But if they intentionally (clearly) don't play to it for a half share then I do it back to them too.  In which case I just say play a game (because you obviously can't do anything else.)  Looking for another player....

Yeah, unfortunately there's always a few players here and there with antisocial behaviour.... happens in other sports too Dead
-------
Viscaria
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic