Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - random TT diary of sorts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

random TT diary of sorts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2022 at 8:05am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

For sure playing the widest variety of players and a mix of levels is beneficial.  I got a couple of weird lower level players that have some strange shots and serves I haven't seen before.  The more of that the better to strategize about.  Fast to get bored of the predominant push/chop style of lower levels though.  I tend to beat most of them at 'it' anyway because I usually sidespin push creating errors where they push straight of the side of the table. 

You seem to have some good blockers.  Lucky you.  

Lol there's no strategy required to beat lower level players....you could literally do whatever you want and still win. It's all about getting good training done even when you're hitting with them. And I find that since they're usually better at pushing, I simply train short push + opening loops with them followed by powerloops if they manage to return any of them. Much better than serving topspin, they do one counter, and then whatever you do (counter, loop, etc) they're likely to miss it anyway because they're simply not used to the shot quality Tongue

It's also kinda more challenging to convert their long topspin serves into short-ish underspin. 

Edited by blahness - 09/08/2022 at 8:07am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2022 at 3:53pm
the strategy part is for returning unseen serves and strokes in games with higher levels that you have not encountered in say a tournament.  
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2022 at 7:29pm

the strategy part is for returning unseen serves and strokes in games with higher levels that you have not encountered in say a tournament.  

Honestly the lower level serves don't even compare to the higher level serves - the quality just ain't the same... with high level serving you have to deal with short, extremely fast and long, to the corners, all with extreme spin variations and they all look the same in preparation.... I don't think facing lower level players serve helps much in dealing with the serves from a high level player. 
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2022 at 7:39pm
Trained quite a bit today where I emphasized on relaxing the grip, then tighten at contact (along with the index finger assisted pronation) concept for my FH, which is more similar to what I'm doing for the BH. With this I don't need to use my body mechanics too much and can spin much faster close table with control when I'm tired in the legs... This also helped a bit in terms of loop control and consistency which is sometimes lacking in my FH especially for stuff that's half long.
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2022 at 8:25pm
Had one of my biggest scalps yesterday night...won 3:0 against a really high rated player who has won some competitions, but tbh I think it's a fluke shot... I was playing a bit out of my mind tbh. Landed almost all my killer chiquitas and I was very successful at dragging the game to a short game, 3rd ball battle rather than rallying (where I would lose 80% of the points for sure). I also made some ridiculous powerloops which all landed mysteriously (maybe I was just lucky lol), which dissuaded my opponent from serving fast long for the most part (which I think is actually a mistake, having the long and short combinations really throws me off). 

Have to say that the short push training really helped a lot in my games - even if it is high it is usually loaded with underspin and not so easy to attack, and drag them into a game that they're unfamiliar with. 

Edited by blahness - 09/09/2022 at 8:26pm
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2022 at 9:46am
I got the Stiga Cybershape and tried it out. 

First impressions was that it was really quite head heavy. My chiquitas didn't feel very nice on my wrist. Punches are just a delight because it just shoots out the ball really fast. It's really like playing Thor's own hammer lol. Normal FH and BH flicks are really good because of the speed and suddenness. Also the hitting area has increased quite a bit which lends a lot more stability to these hit centric shots. The short game was actually surprisingly quite good, also because of the increased area. I especially like the long pushes as they are really fast, sudden and really heavy/full of spin. 

I didn't like looping with it, it felt heavy and cumbersome and it slowed me down a lot, and trying to spin the ball hard felt like a downright chore because of how head heavy it is. I feel like if you have quite hit centric strokes (kinda like Truls Moregardh) you'll do well but I'm actually more of a spin monster myself who can't play well without good spin. When I switched back to my Viscaria I was looping like a madman because of how easy it became lol. Maybe I should kinda train a bit with it and then revert back to the Viscaria for usual play. 

Also pendulum serves didn't work very well because the hitting points are quite different than the normal shaped blades. Hook serves pretty much worked similar. 

However, I feel like because it's head heavy you really need quite a strong wrist/grip to handle it. I have some nerve inflammation from years of gym and high level piano unfortunately which probably rules out the use of this blade long term. 
-------
Viscaria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2022 at 10:25am
Can you weigh both your set ups?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2022 at 12:55am

Can you weigh both your set ups?

My Viscaria with double dignics is 188g, while the Cybershape setup is actually 185g, but yet because of the balance playing with the Cybershape hurts my wrist more ugh Dead

A friend of mine wanted me to try sticking double Dignics on the blade to see if it'll be better, he thinks that the Xiom Tau 2 rubber is trash lol
-------
Viscaria
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2022 at 1:08am
Have been playing around with weight transfer during the serve to increase my service quality - this was inspired by how Miwa Harimoto does it. So during the preparation, bend down and put your entire bodyweight on the left leg. Then transfer your weight entirely to your right foot while throwing the ball, then during the serve transfer the weight entirely to your left foot, while lifting your right feet and rotating directly into the ready position. It's much easier to rotate back into ready position when there is a significant weight transfer.
-------
Viscaria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2022 at 1:45am
Is it the rubbers or has the 'stop sign' got a hollow handle?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2022 at 7:58am

Is it the rubbers or has the 'stop sign' got a hollow handle?
No, it's mostly because the surface area is larger towards the top than at the bottom. Maybe it'll play better if I make the handle a bit heavier? Any ideas on how to do that?
-------
Viscaria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2022 at 3:13pm
I personally find the balance important like you.  I write about this a lot.  I tend to sacrifice one of the rubbers for a lighter one first (generally BH should be it).  

Otherwise it should be easy to first experiment before permanently changing your handle.  

Just tape some small things to the handle for a while... dunno something like 20c pieces... weigh up how many you need.  Don't worry if they feel stupid... it's just a test.

Once you see that you may have solved it then you can saw out the centre of the end of the handle and stick in a chunk of whatever material ....  Maybe Hardwood?  Not sure if we are allowed to stick steel in there.

Or if you don't mind the handle getting thicker then wrap it up with tennis handle tape... 

option 1 is best imo
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic