Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Xiom Jekyll & Hyde Rubbers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Jekyll & Hyde Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Jekyll & Hyde Rubbers
    Posted: 06/15/2022 at 1:58am

Xiom Jekyll & Hyde

47.5 V

Weight: 70 grams uncut

Speed: off++

Spin: Very high

47.5 X

Weight: 68 grams uncut

Speed: off+

Spin: Very high

The Jekyll & Hyde series rubbers are the newest addition to the Xiom line this year. I believe this is the newest generation among ESN rubbers in the market today. There are lots of variants for the Jekyll & Series and to be honest it took me a while to fully review all rubbers since I have both 2.1mm and max thickness rubbers of each variant. I think I have a total of 2 dozen+ rubbers received. The Jekyll & Hyde rubbers have quite a strange name for the series. Believe me, I was surprised when Xiom choose the name since it is quite far from the usual nomenclature for their rubbers which are mostly taken from the Greek alphabet. I tested the 47.5 X and V versions with the TMXi and Hugo HAL among other blades that I usually use. Let me just say that some of the ratings that XIom is showing, I will not agree. I do not agree that the Jekyll & Hyde rubbers are faster than some of the Omega VII rubbers especially the Hyper and Tour versions. What I have experienced is different. Based on my opinion, Xiom has designed rubbers specific for specific type of play. The Jekyll & Hyde series has more variants compared to the Omega series. It is not just developing rubbers that are faster and spinnier but for Xiom’s design time, they opted to have rubbers that fairly easy to use compared to the Omega 7 rubbers that have released before.

Both the J&H 47 X and V versions are offensive rubbers. These are fast rubbers and to a certain degree, both the X and V versions are both faster than the Omega 7 Pro and Euro rubbers. They seem to have the same technology and sponge but rather differ in the design. I would rate the J&H V version to be faster than the X. You can feel the difference in speed if you use both in the same blade. Since the grip of the rubbers are more on the grippy and not tacky side, I choose to have the topspin shots that engage more of the sponge. By compressing more of the sponge, you will appreciate the speed of both 47.5 J&H variants. Coincidentally, up to a certain amount of sponge compression, the 47.5 rubbers are easier to increase or pick up speed compared to their harder variants. I also think the longer pip structure of the 47.5 X and V rubbers greatly help with the speed. I would put the speed of the 47.5 both versions to be slightly faster than the Evolution MX-P rubber. The 47.5 V is both better than the 47.5 X in terms of active blocking and smashing due to having less spin sensitivity. The 47.5X on the other hand is much better on spin drives and counter topspins. Both the 47.5 variants have the least spin sensitivity among all other J&H rubbers.

The J&H 47.5 X version is the spinnier one between the 2 variants. The topsheet is very grippy but it is not tacky at all. Most of the proper spin generation for both rubbers is that the sponge compression is needed instead of thinly brushing the ball. The topsheet having longer pip structure compared to other J&H variants, helps the ball sink more and also let the topsheet increase the surface area of the ball being grabbed by both topsheet and sponge. The arc of the 47.5 X is more profound compared to the 47.5 V and if you need more room for error in clearing the net, the 47.5 X is the rubber you need to choose to loop better. The lower arc of the 47.5 V is better for players who have opted for a low and sharp arc loop.

For short strokes, I have not noticed much the difference. For pushes for example, both seem to be equally spinny only that the 47.5V is somewhat a little faster. For drop shots, both are almost the same. I would recommend both 47.5 variants as a great replacement with the MX-P since the topsheet looks more durable and with the improved sponge technology and booster used, especially the 47.5 X, players who are looking for a medium-hard rubber will like both rubbers. If I were to choose which should be the forehand and backhand rubber, I guess the 47.5 X for the forehand and 47.5 V for the backhand.

The other variants such as 50 and 52.5 versions will be posted soon.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 3:59am
Thanks for the great review. Is the pip structure what makes the difference between X and V or there is something else? 
Samsonov Force Pro(x2)
FH: D05/H3N Prov
BH: V>11/VJ<07 Stiff
NovaCell Off/S
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dignics 05
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 8:23am
Hi,

I would put the speed of the 47.5 both versions to be slightly faster than the Evolution MX-P rubber.

Now that's a statement that catches the eye!

To stay within specification, a longer pip must lead to something being thinner, the topsheet or the sponge.

Thanks!
Muhammad Ali reacted to light in 150 milliseconds, near the theoretical limit of human visual reaction time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic