Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kanak Jha has left the building  ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kanak Jha has left the building ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marc_W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kanak Jha has left the building ?
    Posted: 06/15/2022 at 3:33pm
US National Registration ends today I think 
I am not proposing any wild conspiracy theories such as a dispute.
But one cannot but be curious & wonder as to why Kanak did not play in 2021 & seems also not to be playing in 2022

Maybe it should be mandatory for a defending champion to defend their title with free entry (plus travel fees maybe) & also play in same year's US Open, if they want to be eligible to qualify for following year's USA team ?  ( Then again he is not going to be at USA Team Trials either ......so he has left the building for good ?)  

I am not being too harsh am I ?  I am just trying to start some controversy for no absolute reason other than that I am bored. 

Maybe Kanak has a very good reason (or commitments in Germany) for not playing here & there should be an excepetion (On the flip side his German contract shoud allow him to come back and play US Nationals (& US Open)  ?   

Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 4:47pm
Perhaps embarrassing his friends because he had surpassed them by such a margin left a bad taste the last time he played Nationals?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 5:27pm
There is no up to it for Kanak, travel expenses, risks of injury, jet lag both ways have a toll on his balance as a pro player; also as BRS said, it can only frustrate his US team mates.

Team Trials decide who go to the Olympics and the WTTC I think so he is covered there. The question is more about forcing him or not to play those trials when his level is that much above everybody else. That is a fine line, what if he is momentarily sick during the trials and super healthy at show time for example?
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 12:16am
The reason is simple - USATT's perpetual mismanagement, incompetence and sabotaging of those who they should be supporting, leaves him with no desire to participate in any of their events.

"Embarrassing his competition" does not even enter the radar as a reason.

Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 5:13am
He's getting bad advice. 
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 6:45am
When you refuse to support the Association that gave you a FREE- no qualifying, Olympic pass then you are too big for your britches. 
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 8:26am
Hi,

I too find his relationship with his home country to be ill-defined and unclear.

Moreover, the lack of specific information on motivation results in an inability to evaluate the actions.

There is a presence around the sports world of a distinct, thorough, and on-going support by professional athletes for their home countries, at times to the detriment of the athlete's individual situation.  As an example, I have always valued-highly the loyalty the top Swedish table tennis players and coaches have had for their country, manifested in many ways.  Their commitment is honest and forthright and genuine and sincere.  There is an affection on display that is heartwarming.

The latest Swedish Men's National Championships is a good example of this, as all the top players participated with full-throttle efforts.  There is a specialness in this feeling of loyalty and appreciation towards one's country that holds a uniqueness not available through more individualistic and commercial engagements.

The Olympics is a platform that allows concrete expressions of this deep-seated appreciation for the opportunities the individual athletes have been blessed with from their respective national actions over many years.  When athletes reflect on their journey, they see their countries, in the context of all the frustrating and disappointing flaws that all countries reveal, as participants of very significant contribution to the individual's current success.  In so doing, the athletes are able, in body and in spirit, to engage as representational of this appreciation in the competitions fostered by their national organizations.

The athlete's best means of expression is participation.  There is no better way.  

Thanks.
Muhammad Ali reacted to light in 150 milliseconds, near the theoretical limit of human visual reaction time.
Marc_W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 11:29am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Team Trials decide who go to the Olympics and the WTTC I think so he is covered there. 

I thinks you thinkering wrong 

Below is final list for 2022 US National Team Trials

I don't see Kanak Jha's name there

I am not taking any sides one way or the other (like it matters) 
There seems to be something up but I don't know what it is & noone will probably know  
Marc_W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Perhaps embarrassing his friends because he had surpassed them by such a margin left a bad taste the last time he played Nationals?

Xin Zhou ?  ( #1 ranking on US Citizens list on ratings page) 

I also found it interesting that Xin Zhou is playing in Nationals but not in Team Trials.
Is it possible for a US citizen to be ineligible for US Team (Trials)  ? Maybe there is an ITTF waiting period ?

Or he also chose not to play in trials like Kanak Jha ?  ( They both belong to 888  ?  )

Edited by Marc_W - 06/16/2022 at 5:06pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 2:42pm
Hello sjan,

Does it mean he will be part of the US team without competing in the trials?
Marc_W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 5:36pm

Hello sjan, 
Who ? Few others also PMed asking the same question.
I am from California & spent time in Munich Germany for a while & back now in USA & now in the process of moving to Dallas- FortWorth area. The question I posted on another thread with pictures is a place in California where I used to live. Since Kanak Jha played in Germany I have heard of him more that is all

Does it mean he will be part of the US team without competing in the trials?

He who ?  Kanak or Zhou  ?
You are just repeating the same question I asked ??

Edited by Marc_W - 06/16/2022 at 5:38pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2022 at 9:11pm
It could be that Kanak is treated far better in Germany than in the U.S.  Why bother with an organization (USATT) that has been dysfunctional for years.  Someone should wonder why our best player isn't interested in supporting the USATT.  I don't think the problem lies with the player.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2022 at 8:15am
It's really up to the individual player to decide.  Remember that Kanak is a professional.  This is his chosen career.  Before it was rescheduled, the Hungary Smash (akin to a Grand Slam in tennis) was scheduled for July 11 which is 4 days after US Nationals ends.  The European Series in Hungary now takes its place on July 11 so he will need to prepare so that he peaks for it.  It's too bad that he lost early in Lima as I'm sure he wanted to make top 30 to get into the WTT Champion event that follows the WTT Star Contender in Hungary.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2022 at 1:28pm
Another thing to consider about Kanak: he is a PROFESSIONAL player.  He plays to make money.  That is what he does to make a living.  He might make more money by staying in Europe. 
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2022 at 4:29am
Just wondering: Maybe, the whole WTT thing is fairly new and is upsetting a lot of individual player's schedules.
AFAIR, the nationals for each country was set, I don't know how, on a particular weekend. The ITTF/ETTU and national TT league recognised this and scheduled their competitions to avoid a clash.
However, similar to Kanak, Liam Pitchford opted not to play the English nationals in order to practise/qualify/play for WTT.
So maybe it's a world problem for the top players.
If the Nationals offered a high enough prize money for top places it would remove the finance reason for many professionals.
Just throwing this out there.

Edited by Tinykin - 06/19/2022 at 4:34am
Tibhar Drinkhall Defensive Classic. FH:Stiga Mantra M max,
BH:Gewo Proton Neo 2mm

Vodak 4APC - FH:YoungShine DianTing, BH: Butterfly Dignics 09c

Delusion is an asset
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2022 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Just wondering: Maybe, the whole WTT thing is fairly new and is upsetting a lot of individual player's schedules.
AFAIR, the nationals for each country was set, I don't know how, on a particular weekend. The ITTF/ETTU and national TT league recognised this and scheduled their competitions to avoid a clash.
However, similar to Kanak, Liam Pitchford opted not to play the English nationals in order to practise/qualify/play for WTT.
If the Nationals offered a high enough prize money for top places it would remove the finance reason for many professionals.

Good point. When I checked a few years ago, some countries Nationals have zero prize money, it was just the prestige of being the national champion.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:18am
what is the prize money for US National?

How much would it cost Kanak cost to fly back and take part?

and on the other side, what is he loosing in terms of world ranking point wise and monetary wise?

He flew back for the feeders, only to get covid and didn't play a single game... was a loose loose situation.
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:59pm
The best player from my country said that he had to skip the nationals becouse if he would have skipped WTT tournament without injury he would have got a 1000usd fine for that. I don’t remember which tournamant that was but I think it was one of the smash tournaments.

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Edited by stiltt - Yesterday at 1:19pm
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 22 minutes ago at 11:20am
I think it also hurts when the USATT keeps the location and dates of the Nationals and the Open a secret for as long as they can.  I would guess that pros like to plan their schedule far in advance.  I'm sure that most countries already know when their next National Championships are more than a year in advance.  The USATT is about 4 months in advance.  
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 8 minutes ago at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

Another thing to consider about Kanak: he is a PROFESSIONAL player.  He plays to make money.  That is what he does to make a living.  He might make more money by staying in Europe. 

Indeed, his coaches and agents or whatever in Europe might have told him not to play back in the US.  It's hard to know from a distance what is going into his decision, and he has no obligation to tell us.

And if they did, who am I to say it was bad advice?

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 26 minutes ago at 3:16pm
not coming back for him is the correct decision in my opinion. nothing to gain, would just steam thru to victory and then might negatively affect his play in the German league which is more important
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic