Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Joola pickleball
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola pickleball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
serveandswing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serveandswing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola pickleball
    Posted: 07/23/2022 at 12:49pm
TIL Joola makes pickleball rackets. Maybe everyone knew that already. This (long) article says they paid a player seven figures for a 2-year endorsement deal.

Sponsored Links

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2022 at 3:15pm
Who can blame them? It's a much more rapidly growing sport than table tennis in NA
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2022 at 4:06pm
Over 500k a year for 2 years for a racket endorsement? WOW. 

I knew a 2700 player who did rather well at the US Open one year (when international players actually showed up) and couldn't even get a free t-shirt from one of the prominent equipment manufacturers.  They were told once their world ranking was in the top 100 the company would consider sponsoring them.  Until then don't call us we will call you.  Umm.. ok. 

serveandswing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serveandswing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2022 at 4:19pm
It's hard to believe, but Sports Illustrated seems like a reliable source.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2022 at 5:02pm
I believe it.  Joola probably did the math and figured they could make the money back and more with the endorsement. 

It seems the only way to make money in table tennis these days in the USA is from coaching.  In China, higher level non-CNT players can make 150k a year from just playing tournaments. Here, that kind of money is impossible. 
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2022 at 7:18pm
I actually read the Dinkheads.com in the article as Dickheads.com lol

chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2022 at 10:28pm
I play PB, rarely TT. It is so popular and there are EJs too. Joola paddles are selling like crazy.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 12:31am
I don’t know how accurate that is, I may not have access to that exact information but I’m almost certain it’s not 7 figures over 2 years, that seems pretty inflated to me and I work for Joola. 
http://mhtabletennis.com
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 9:18am
is it true or a rumor that joola paddles just failed the friction test?
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 9:32am
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

is it true or a rumor that joola paddles just failed the friction test?

Ping pong or pickleball? The only friction test I know of is for pips

W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 9:57am
I have no idea about Joola passing or failing, but here is the rule:

https://usapickleball.org/docs/eec/Equipment-Standards-Manual.pdf

2.E.2 Surface roughness. The paddle’s hitting surface shall not contain holes, indentations, rough texturing, or any objects or features that allow a player to impart excessive spin on the ball. 2.E.2.a Paddle roughness and friction characteristics are determined in two ways 2.E.2.a.1 Using a Starrett SR160 Surface Roughness Tester (or equivalent). The allowable limits for roughness shall be an average of no greater than 30 micrometers (μm) on the Rz readings (average maximum height, peak to valley) and an average of no greater than 40 micrometers on the Rt readings (maximum height, peak to valley), with all readings to be taken in six different directions. 2.E.2.a.2 A coefficient of friction test based on protocol (IAW) ASTM D1894-14 is used to measure the general friction characteristics regardless of surface finishing process or technology; a paddle will pass this test with a maximum kinetic coefficient of friction value of ≤ 0.1875. See USA Pickleball Paddle test document in Appendix.

Edited by jfolsen - 07/25/2022 at 9:59am
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 10:58am
There are variances in the testing devices, no joola paddle has failed in competition or in a lab test.
http://mhtabletennis.com
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 11:51am
So there's a lot of EJ already in pickleball? Any chance we'll see 3 ply wood +2x ZLC or something alike in the future?

Edited by stiltt - 07/25/2022 at 11:51am
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 12:51pm
I have a friend who plays table tennis and pickleball. From his description it sounds like the early stages of table tennis back in the 1930's.
  • There are competing international organizations
  • Someone figured out how to use the grip on the handle to add spin. They banned that
  • Finger spin serves are still legal but they think it might be banned soon (anyone remember Sol Schiff and Jimmy McClure?)
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2022 at 1:19pm
Damn. I never thought, I would see pickleball article on this forum. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/thepongprofessor/

Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic