Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Zealand junior wins rubber bullying lawsuit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Zealand junior wins rubber bullying lawsuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thomasz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomasz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Zealand junior wins rubber bullying lawsuit
    Posted: 07/28/2022 at 4:56pm
Story below was released on 6 November 2020, at the height of the pandemic

In the middle of the article it says

"At one tournament she had the rubber ripped off her bat, just before she was about to play, to prevent her playing in the final, that was very disturbing," Schick said

Does anyone down under (or elsewhere) have more information on this ?

Nancy Kerrigan & Tonya Harding ?

Edited by thomasz - 07/28/2022 at 4:58pm
Sponsored Links

WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2022 at 12:57am
Probably someone who took the pips hate too far from the sounds of it.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2022 at 1:13am
Sounds like bullying or power hungry to me

The roles of these national federation needs to be clear - to develop the sport and allow its development to reach professionalism.
They can't hold grudges against anyone....

NZTT needs some PR, or otherwise, some pro bona lawyer should step in and helped all abusers sort out what is right and wrong for the sake of the community at large.

And all these countries that appoint you a national coach... its okay if the coach is high level, but most times, the coach is just a passenger, has never or hardly worked with the player  and on the totally difficult tune. Just 1 of these if true, then, it doesn't make sense.

TT is an individual sport and you should be able to bring your own coach to individual tournaments.
Of it is a team tournament, then yes, national fed can appoint a coach.

Seems like most 3rd world TT countries are stuck with the same mentality.

Edited by ZApenholder - 07/29/2022 at 1:44am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2022 at 1:14am
lawyer should also get IOC/NZOC involved and have the entire TTNZ board dissolved should something deem illegal is found in court that related to power abuse

Edited by ZApenholder - 07/29/2022 at 1:45am
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2022 at 9:17am
"At one tournament she had the rubber ripped off her bat, just before she was about to play, to prevent her playing in the final, that was very disturbing," Schick said

sorry but above is not very clear - who and under what circumstances was the rubber ripped off?

PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2022 at 9:20pm
Well I know the coach involved and I can tell you from my personal experience and from what was explained to me there was no bullying. The coach simply asked some questions about the reason for the change and felt the player had good touch with smooth rubber and wondered why she had chosen to switch to pips both sides. It was taken very offensively by the player’s grandmother and got blown way out of proportion. 

They essentially refused to put the deposit money forward for an international event because that coach had been selected and so were warned if they didnt meet the pre-event requirements including deposit then they would be removed and replaced on the team and that happened accordingly which resulted in legal action.

It was a messy situation and honestly both the coach and player are very nice people, I think family got involved and really caused some major issues here when no harm was intended. I don’t know about the rubber ripping incident but I know it wasn’t the coach.
http://mhtabletennis.com
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2022 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

lawyer should also get IOC/NZOC involved and have the entire TTNZ board dissolved should something deem illegal is found in court that related to power abuse

NZOC have zero interest in TTNZ, despite qualifying each time NZ havent been able to send players to the Olympics since 2004 and now also no players at two commonwealth games in a row.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2022 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by PingPongPom PingPongPom wrote:

Well I know the coach involved and I can tell you from my personal experience and from what was explained to me there was no bullying. The coach simply asked some questions about the reason for the change and felt the player had good touch with smooth rubber and wondered why she had chosen to switch to pips both sides. It was taken very offensively by the player’s grandmother and got blown way out of proportion. 

They essentially refused to put the deposit money forward for an international event because that coach had been selected and so were warned if they didnt meet the pre-event requirements including deposit then they would be removed and replaced on the team and that happened accordingly which resulted in legal action.

It was a messy situation and honestly both the coach and player are very nice people, I think family got involved and really caused some major issues here when no harm was intended. I don’t know about the rubber ripping incident but I know it wasn’t the coach.

It's always good to hear the other side of the story, thanks for the update PingPongPom! Thumbs Up
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2022 at 12:38pm
But who ripped off the rubber.
Was the news burried, or did it not happen?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2022 at 11:48pm
A good question... hard to believe that an official would do this though...and the fact that the reporter seemed to be deliberately vague on this makes me think it was probably another player or bystander. That's still not right of course, but we don't know what happened after this.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:42am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

A good question... hard to believe that an official would do this though...and the fact that the reporter seemed to be deliberately vague on this makes me think it was probably another player or bystander. That's still not right of course, but we don't know what happened after this.

and is she still active?

ITTF has her last international in 2019...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:47am

I think the "old school" method of coach being appointed needs to be checked.

It makes sense if the appointed national coach knows the player very well, but many times the coach might only meet the player at the airport prior to the tournament outbound trip, or maybe few days before departure.

If it is young kids, then the appointed coach, isn't just a coach, but also a legal guardian and the kids family also needs to be comfortable. If it is a total stranger, then trust issues are not unfair.

Then, asking the players family to pay for the stranger coach - I think that is the worse thing that TTNZ can do.
I mean, if my kids are going overseas and if I must pay for a coach, I would want my chosen coach/legal guardian. If TTNZ is paying, then, they can decide who goes.

TT at most, teams event - you can have a national coach.
But if it is an individuals tournament, then it requires individual coaches - coaches who knows the player and the player can trust.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:48am

NZOC have zero interest in TTNZ, despite qualifying each time NZ havent been able to send players to the Olympics since 2004 and now also no players at two commonwealth games in a row.

I see they send umpires....

So in NZ, if you want to become an international, don't be a player, become an umpire
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 33 minutes ago at 12:56pm

I think the "old school" method of coach being appointed needs to be checked.

It makes sense if the appointed national coach knows the player very well, but many times the coach might only meet the player at the airport prior to the tournament outbound trip, or maybe few days before departure.

If it is young kids, then the appointed coach, isn't just a coach, but also a legal guardian and the kids family also needs to be comfortable. If it is a total stranger, then trust issues are not unfair.

Then, asking the players family to pay for the stranger coach - I think that is the worse thing that TTNZ can do.
I mean, if my kids are going overseas and if I must pay for a coach, I would want my chosen coach/legal guardian. If TTNZ is paying, then, they can decide who goes.

TT at most, teams event - you can have a national coach.
But if it is an individuals tournament, then it requires individual coaches - coaches who knows the player and the player can trust.

It was for an Oceania Junior Championship event I believe so it was a national coach appointment for the team. Cost sharing for a team coach is how it has always been in New Zealand since there has essentially been zero funding on almost all occasions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic