Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - U19 Pan Ams
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U19 Pan Ams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U19 Pan Ams
    Posted: 08/04/2022 at 11:54pm
Hi,

On the USA girl's team, so far, Sally Moyland has been the star!  The USA girls took the team title!

Thanks.

"I only said I was the greatest, not the smartest." Muhammad Ali
Sponsored Links

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2022 at 7:58pm
Hi,

Sally and Angie Tan are both in the semis for Girls' Singles.

Thanks.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2022 at 9:33pm
Purely as a suggestion, I would recommend sharing a link to the coverage if any so that others may follow with your enthusiasm. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2022 at 11:49pm
It seems some of the matches are streamed here:

Lots of matches for tomorrow scheduled here:

Mazunov
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Purely as a suggestion, I would recommend sharing a link to the coverage if any so that others may follow with your enthusiasm. 

I'm not watching the matches.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 6:05pm
Hi,

Sally Moyland, as a very young competitor in U19, wins Girls' Singles and Doubles titles, plus a member of the winning Girls' team title.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 08/07/2022 at 6:15pm
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Sally Moyland, as a very young competitor in U19, wins Girls' Singles and Doubles titles, plus a member of the winning Girls' team title.

Thanks.

A solid performance, but mostly expected. Pan American competition at the junior and cadet level, on the womens side, is quite weak - likely less competitive than the tournament they needed to win domestically to even qualify for this event. The US should be an expected medalist every time along with Brazil and PR.

Edited by idk - 08/07/2022 at 8:30pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

A solid performance, but mostly expected. Pan American competition at the junior and cadet level, on the womens side, is quite weak - likely less competitive than the tournament they needed to win domestically to even qualify for this event. The US should be an expected medalist every time along with Brazil and PR.

Yes, but those other countries best players are usually competitive - it is not something that should be taken for granted even on the women's/girls' side when a player wins a gold.  No other American players got a medal in singles.  
Mazunov
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes, but those other countries best players are usually competitive - it is not something that should be taken for granted even on the women's/girls' side when a player wins a gold.  No other American players got a medal in singles.  

Credit definitely goes to Sally - I do have to say that Sarah likely should have reached the semis at the least and roles could've been reversed if the draw shook out differently. Not sure as it seems Sarah was off her game throughout the tournament and lost in the knockouts of singles to an opponent who she should be a clear favorite over - I wonder if other factors were at play.

My broader point is the contrast in skill levels at Pan Am youth competition - outside of US/Brazil/PR, the other contenders often do not come close to even winning single games. To me it is just interesting that the domestic competition is actually more deep, and similarly top heavy. Similar to Chinese internal tournaments versus world tours. When a 15 and a 17 year old face off in the finals of a continental U19 event it is always interesting.

As far as just the US goes, I am curious to see who the next "standout", ala Kanak, Nikhil, Sharon, Lily, will be. It seems like there is no super clear frontrunner at the moment but we will see how things play out. My money is on Sally over Sarah for the womens side, with no other apparent candidates.

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 10:09pm

Hi,

Thanks.

The evidence before us is that the U.S. had one outstanding performer on the combined Boys'/Girls' team.

A couple other things: We sent on the Boys' team an impressive group of 2500 level players.  That level is insufficient to produce good results in this competition.  They are our best; our best is not good enough.

As for Sarah: This is, I believe, the second international competition I have observed her performance.  In both cases, every impression I've had is that she underperforms when viewed in the context of what might be anticipated from her known capabilities.  She seemed "out of sorts" in confidence and overall demeanor.  Sally, on the other hand, was our expected Sally.  

As an editorial comment: Sally has earned all the special support we can provide her to assist her in reaching her potential.

Thanks.

Thanks. 

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2022 at 10:49pm

Hi,

Thanks.

The evidence before us is that the U.S. had one outstanding performer on the combined Boys'/Girls' team.

A couple other things: We sent on the Boys' team an impressive group of 2500 level players.  That level is insufficient to produce good results in this competition.  They are our best; our best is not good enough.

As for Sarah: This is, I believe, the second international competition I have observed her performance.  In both cases, every impression I've had is that she underperforms when viewed in the context of what might be anticipated from her known capabilities.  She seemed "out of sorts" in confidence and overall demeanor.  Sally, on the other hand, was our expected Sally.  

As an editorial comment: Sally has earned all the special support we can provide her to assist her in reaching her potential.

Thanks.

Thanks. 

Yeah, pretty much what I said in my comment above. Indeed the US team is lacking a bit for the U19 category, most of the top U19 players are also U15 eligible. Bit of a weak generation in the 16-18 age range. The US has been spoiled in the last few generations with standouts Kanak, then Sharon, then Nikhil. I am not sure who, if anybody, will take the torch of meeting their standard. As of now, I'm not super confident in any of the bunch. Maybe Darryl and/or Andrew but neither is a sure bet. Adi if he didn't choose to represent Australia could have been a prospect. Very real possibility there could be a downturn for a few years until someone emerges.

Edited by idk - 08/07/2022 at 10:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic