Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nittaku Hammond Z2 review
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Hammond Z2 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Hammond Z2 review
    Posted: 09/03/2022 at 1:09pm
Review:

Background: I have been looking for a substitute for Dignics rubbers for some time now, they are getting more expensive to import every month. I have been using D80 on both sides for 1 year now. Before that I was using D05/D64, before that H3N/T64 for close to 6 years. I have used the Tenergy and now Dignics rubbers for close to 10 years now and really like the sharp feeling which these rubbers offer.

Concerns with Dignics and Tenergy series:
1. Price
2. Longetivity, they don't last me more than 3 months per sheet. I play around 13-15 hours per week most of which is drills.
3. No reliable supplier in India due to Butterfly's export restrictions

Test setup:
Timo Boll ALC, with D80 on one side and Z2 on the other. I have used this blade for close to 2 years now, of which I have used D80 on both sides for 1 year.

Rubber packaging: Top notch, comes with a sticky protective sheet in the pack.
Weight: 70g Uncut, 47g cut to TB ALC head size
Hardness: Sponge hardness is 50 Degrees, but it feels closer to 48 degrees.
Topsheet: Extremely grippy topsheet, on par with D80 and D05.

Basic drills: This is a fast rubber with early catapult. Once you activate the sponge it is quite fast and direct. The arc is not as low as D64, but it is somewhere in between D80 and D64. The topsheet is reactive and soft and bites into the ball easily. On hard strokes, the rubber feels harder than it is and feels close to D05 (not in terms of spin, but in terms of feeling). This give a lot of confidence driving the ball forward.

Service receive: Although the topsheet is reactive (less reactive than Dignics 80, close to D64), the sponge is quite dead in the short game. This makes receiving short easy. It is not a jumpy as D05/D80/D64 which are very jumpy rubbers.

Service: Lots of topsheet grip, no issues here

Strengths of this rubber:
1. Rewards playing forward and driving the ball. Its a bit hard for smashing, but the correct hardness for loop-drives. Excellent pace when you drive the ball forward, must faster than D64/D80.
2. Direct trajectory makes it very effective playing close to the table, within 6-8 feet. 
3. Very good feeling, not as jumpy as 48 degree ESN, not as dull as D09C.
4. Very good tpopsheet grip, the topsheet does no slip at even very acute angles.
5. Excellent pace on hitting through the ball.

Weakness:
1. Noot good for people who only brush loop, not enough sping for that. Spin is a between D80 and D64, very close to D80.
2. Flat trajectory with late dip, not good for long distance topspin players.

Who can I recommend it to:
1. Anyone looking for an upgrade to Dignics 64. Anyone looking for something similar to Dignics 80, just a bit softer (not very noticeable)
2. Someone looking for a D80/D64 or a T80 alternative as a lesser cost. I got mine from TT11 at 30% off the sticker price.

I do not see any disadvantages of this rubber over D64. It is a touch below D80 if you play long distance, but the same performance at mid-distance and better closer to the table.
I will not be going back to D80 after this rubber, its half the price and the same performance for my game (loop/drive on both ends, playing mid-distance)

I can recommend getting it from TT11, I got 6 sheets from them and they are at most 1gram apart.

--------------------
Original post:

Any first-hand experience with Nittaku Hammond Z2?
Weight cut to BTY Head size?
Topsheet grip?
Comparable to Dignics 64/80?

Thanks 

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 09/28/2022 at 6:54am
Sponsored Links

zhuangcorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2022 at 5:29pm
I just tested it. Very very fast, catapulty rubber. Very comparable to Dignics 64, maybe even faster. 

Seems to produce good spin too. 
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2022 at 7:39pm
Will it be too fast on an outer carbon blade like ALC? Could you provide some more details?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2022 at 8:54pm
It's very very fast. Very energetic, bouncy rubber but also a little stiff rubber at 50 degree. But I don't think it's TOO fast on a outer ALC if you can control it. For me, I think I would enjoy playing with it on a outer ALC. You can hit very fast drives and loops. 

If you have used Dignics 80 or 64, it's something similar to that. As I said, it might be a little faster, and maybe has a slightly harder feeling. 

Very impressive rubber, and I would say go for it. 
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 1:02am
I use D64 on BH and D80 on FH, if your description is accurate, this will save me a lot of money LOL

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 09/04/2022 at 1:03am
Ck1407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ck1407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 3:33am
i have used this rubber. i like the sponge alot since its quite powerful when you engage it. however the major flaw of the rubber is the topsheet. even tho the topsheet provides a good amount of dwell time when contacting the ball, the topsheet just refuses to add addition spin with that dwell time. i used to use nittaku G-1 and i can confirm to you that g-1 produces more spin. my hope will be on Z6 & z8 where hopefully they use a different topsheet to improve the spin generation. 

However if you game style revolves around more on driving and smashing, this is a rubber you can consider. If you are a looper, look else where.

hope my info provided the insight you are looking for
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 5:24am
We have conflicting views in this thread, its either between D64/D80 which have a fair bit of spin and catapult or something like Bryce Speed, less spin but huge speed.

Which one is it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 12:05pm
To me, it's not anything like unspinny. I could do very nice long loops and short loops and flicks and everything. So, to me, the spin is just fine. Keep in mind that Dignics also is not Hurricane-level spin. 

It is true, however, that the dwell time feels a little closer to Tenergy than Dignics. The ball seems to bounce off the rubber very quickly. 

If you want a extremely catapulty rubber to replace Dignics at a lower price, then I think you will be impressed by this rubber. 

If you look at some reviews on Revspin: https://revspin.net/rubber/nittaku-hammond-z2.html

You can see that speed seems to be the outstanding quality of this rubber. But spin is not a problem by any means. 
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 12:10pm
One thing though is, I think Z2 does have a lower throw angle than Dignics. For me, I could adjust to it on the BH. But some people may prefer the Z2 on the forehand. 
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 1:07pm
I play D80 on FH and D64 on BH on a TB ALC.
I have also played H3 Neo extensively for many years on a faster blade.
I prefer a low throw on the BH and a medium throw on the FH. You description has got my hopes very high.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 6:45pm
Cool. Get a sheet of Z2 and you can test it on both your FH and BH to see which side is a better fit for you. 

Let me know how you find it after you test it. 
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2022 at 3:00pm
I tried it. It is low throw. I did not like it much on my FH, but it worked well on my backhand. However I use red on my BH and the sheet I bought was black. If anyone wants to try a 2.0 in black, send me a PM and I'll make you a nice deal.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2022 at 2:20am
@LOG1C1AN

Can you compare it with Dignics, Tenergy or Evolution series or another popular rubber?
What is the overall hardness and is there adequate topsheet grip?
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2022 at 1:01pm
Sorry, I have never used Dignics or Tenergy due to cost factor. I would say the speed is similar to MXP. I think it is a natural rubber top sheet. It has good grip but not to the extent of the newer hybrids. The sponge is hard, maybe 50, with very small pores.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2022 at 1:12am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

@LOG1C1AN

Can you compare it with Dignics, Tenergy or Evolution series or another popular rubber?
What is the overall hardness and is there adequate topsheet grip?

I got a chance to try the Hammond Z2 on a few different blades and compare it to Dignics 05 and Evolution MX-P 50 a bit. I originally got them on a Tornado King Speed I do have to call out that the rubbers that I got were either stretched before they were glued or just shrunk while being stuck and so I used them as is after switching them over to Viscaria and even Apolonia ZLC. 
The Z2 felt very familiar on first hits. It was super crisp, very similar to Dignics 05. It definitely feels closer to D05 than to MX-P 50. The ball bites on the rubber even though it doesn't seem like the topsheet has a lot of grip like D05. I think the combination of the pip structure, topsheet material and the sponge hardness all come together nicely in this rubber. 
The difference between Z2 and D05 is perhaps similar to the kind of difference you might experience if you compared Fastarc G1 to Tenergy 05. It has all the qualities of the butterfly rubber (D05 in this case) but lacks a bit of oomph, speed and spin. 
The top end speed and spin on Z2 is definitely slower than D05 but control is a bit better. If you wanted something lesser priced than D05, then Z2 is definitely a good option to try.

Edited by anubhav1984 - 09/09/2022 at 1:12am
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2022 at 1:48am
I use Dignics 80 (mostly) on both sides, I have read that its got the same amount of spin and a bit less speed than D80. That is probably expected as the sponge is rated a bit softer.

What would be great to find out is:
Topsheet grip compared to Dignics 80
Top end speed compared to Dignics 80
Does it have the spring sponge feeling of generating pace with ease?

In this review, it is stated that the spin is a bit more than 80 and the speed a bit less. https://youtu.be/XYQ-AK_gORE
I don't understand Japanese to figure out the remaining part :)

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 09/09/2022 at 9:11am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2022 at 11:16am
Any more inputs before I bite the bullet and buy a couple of sheets, or should I stick to Dignics 80?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2022 at 11:19am

Any more inputs before I bite the bullet and buy a couple of sheets, or should I stick to Dignics 80?
Order it Big smile
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2022 at 5:20pm

So I also tested the Z2 a few months ago. Given that I saw some japanese reviews on YT prior to purchasing, I have to admit that I was a bit hyped up - a Dignics-type rubber for the price of a Tenergy, who wouldn't want that. A handful of other people on a german forum were also interested.
I only tested a Dignics 05 a few years ago on a racket of a former club mate; other than that I do not have any experience with the Dignics series. However I played T05 for a good while and some team mates still play T05 (predominantely on FH).
The Z2 is certainly a high quality rubber (both topsheet and sponge). The topsheet is really grippy (about the same as T05) and the sponge looks just like a Dignics sponge with a lot of tiny pores. Overall it feels a touch harder than a T05.

The Z2 is generally a low throw rubber, and I found it not easy to activate the catapult. At the table it is a fast rubber, probably a bit faster than T05. The top sheet does not seem to be as spin sensetive as Tenergy and on the BH the low throw additionally helps when blocking, although for my taste it is a bit too hard for my BH.
BUT: The grippy topsheet does not translate to Tenergy 05 spin levels. The arc of the Z2 is less pronounced and overall the spin is less aggressive. I soon noticed that many of my opponents had less trouble blocking or counter-topspinnig my topspins compared to T05. As soon as you are under pressure and 2 - 3 meters away from the table, the weak catapult in combination with the low throw is getting you doomed. Many balls didn't clear the net or even reached the net. Directly at the table it is a usable rubber, but there are many other options out there (both for FH and BH) that get you more points.
I tested the Z2 on different blades (on a Viscaria it felt the best, despite being a bit too hard on the BH). The Viscaria with Z2 on FH and Quantum X Pro Soft on BH is still one of my spare blades and every few weeks I play a match with it, just to see if it might change my opinion about the Z2. On FH it does feel really good, but the spin and arc are just not there, at least not enough to simply overpower your oppponents.
Overall I was a bit disappointed (even though it got favourable reviews from japanese testers) and I won't buy the Z2 again...

@OP: If you have the money you can buy a sheet to see if it suits your style, but performance-wise you will not get an upgrade or "copy" to Dignics; I would describe the Z2 as a faster and harder version of the Fastarc G-1, with less arc and similar (or slightly less) spin. Tenergy (and therefore Dignics) are a level or two above the Z2 in terms of spin and dynamics.

Edited by Skynet - 09/10/2022 at 5:24pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2022 at 7:46pm
I ordered a couple of pairs for my ALC blades before seeing this. Guess its time to add some booster to these sheets. I will write a comprehensive review once I get those sheets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2022 at 11:25pm
With the hard sponge and all, I imagine this rubber would benefit from booster. 
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2022 at 4:14am
Originally posted by zhuangcorp zhuangcorp wrote:

With the hard sponge and all, I imagine this rubber would benefit from booster. 

In fact I did boost my sheets of Z2 (two layers of Haifu Seamoon) after a while. What I noticed was that the sheets almost didn't curl. With rubbers like T05, H3 or MX-P the sheets curl up significantly (whether you boost them with Haifu or Dymax (although Dymax does not do so well with chinese rubbers)) and it takes roughly 5 - 7 days until they are flat again. With the Z2 the sheets curled up a little bit after the second layer and were flat again after just one or two days. Very strange. I also noticed only a slight increase in speed (if at all), but not really an increase in spin.

Edited by Skynet - 09/11/2022 at 4:14am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2022 at 9:36am
Updated with review.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2022 at 1:37pm
Great! I'm glad you liked the rubber. I also think its a very impressive rubber and basically similar to Dignics. 

I think Hammond Z6, Z8 are coming out too. Will you be trying those as well?
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2022 at 12:05am
Unless there is a reson to change, I won't. I am happy for now.
Also, I think the pimple placement of this rubber is close to D05, the next ones might be D09C type of D64 type.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 09/29/2022 at 12:07am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2022 at 1:44am
I played it a bit on a Xiom Vega Pro 84g and it was very stiff and hard, not enjoyable. It seems that rubber will do better on a thicker blade with softer outer. I will try it next week on my rings of saturn
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2022 at 1:56am
The black Z2 I have was given to me free of charge by forum member LOG1C1AN and I thought more forum members would want to try it. The only rule is they report their experience here and if it's really their rubber they can keep it.

Forum member leftstudio -2100 level- tried it and he texted me "not liking the Hammond. too stiff and no feeling". Maybe he'll write more about his experience but he resumed it well. 

I got it back today, will try it on a thicker blade. On my Vega Pro 84gr it felt like it was totally abusing the blade, I think that rubber needs a thick mother like my rings of saturn to shine, a stiff and thick mama with softer outer like in my picture!

Edited by stiltt - 10/01/2022 at 2:31am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2022 at 2:06am
not sure how I will organize a testing party... getting requests here and people PM me the address sounds right to me. I will be totally unfair preferring old timers even if they ask way after newbies. log1c1an gave it to me and I can do what I want Tongue.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2022 at 2:19am
forum member zhuangcorp is next. He will review the rubber and other people in his area will do the asame he said. I'll ship the rubber in the week starting Monday Oct 10th.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2022 at 2:52am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I played it a bit on a Xiom Vega Pro 84g and it was very stiff and hard, not enjoyable. It seems that rubber will do better on a thicker blade with softer outer. I will try it next week on my rings of saturn
What is rings of saturn? Tell me more. That looks beautiful. ShockedShockedShocked
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic