Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New - Club Training Program
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New - Club Training Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New - Club Training Program
    Posted: 09/20/2022 at 2:42am
In an effort to be as annoying as possible, I have created a club training program to completely disrupt the play at Willamette TT Club (Salem, Or).  The club meets 3 days a week and I have designed and implemented a practice/training program that runs each day.

Each daily session is a 1.5 hr (usually runs slightly longer) combination of 1)warmup, 2)counter-looping/serve and open, and 3)transition/footwork/point simulation drills.  Each of the three sections lasts about 30 minutes and we change practice partners for each section.  It is loosely based on bits from each of several multi-day camps I have attended and from private coaching I have taken.

Warmup is standard stuff with brief Fh and Bh counters, then Fh and Bh looping to block, then serve,short push, short push, long push rally.  The 2nd session starts with Fh and Bh counter-looping and then goes into Fh and Bh serve and open drill. The 3rd session has a Fh to Bh transition drill, a footwork drill and finally a simulated point drill.

Each day we have a different directional emphasis.  One day we focus on hitting cross-court as much as possible in all the sections. Other days we focus on down the line shots or reverse cross- court shots.  I try to rotate which day of week gets which emphasis so that a player who only comes 1 or 2 days a week still gets to practice all directions over a 2 or 3 week period.  

Some players do not really counter-loop or even loop for that matter.  In "looping" drills they can try looping or just work on using whatever is their normal rallying stroke.  I am trying to get players to do the drills at a power level where they can consistantly do 10 to 20 reps.  If they are doing more, then they try at a higher power level.  For the serve-open drills we focus more on 3rd ball kill and aggression Bh openings. There I try to get players to play at a power level where they are 75 to 85 percent successful.  If higher then try for more power or more aggressive placement.

For the 3rd section we try to rotate through a variety of drills in each area.  Right now the only transition drill we are using is 1 to 5 balls to 1 wing and 1 ball to the other.  So we get 4 variations Fh 1-5 from Fh corner, Fh 1-5  from mid table, Bh. 1-5 from Bh corner, and Bh 1-5 from mid table.  We also mix up the location of the blocker to change drills from  cross-court to down the line emphasis. For footwork drills we are using Falkenberg, a ( Fh, Fh from middle, Bh from Bh corner, Fh) combination, the X-H, and a 2Bh,1Fh where the Fh location changes from mid Bh court to  mid Fh court.  It can alternate locations or for more difficulty it can change randomly.  We do have slightly easier versions of the other footwork drills for the weaker/less mobile players. The point simulations focus mostly on 5th ball and 4th ball tactics ( to complement the 3rd ball emphasis in section 2).  Each player gets to define how they want points played in their allotted time, but I try to get them to stay within the days emphasis of 5th or 4th ball and encourage having fixed ball placements by both players instead of random.  In some cases of a weak/strong player combination I do encourage letting the weaker player through in some random variation to make the drill interesting for the stronger player.  I also try to make up weak/strong pairings for the warmup, strong/strong and weak/week pairings for the counter-looping/3rd ball section, and as much strong/strong and weak/weak possible while still varying partners in the 3rd section.

We are starting our 3rd full week Tue.  We have had 6 to 8 players participate almost every night.  So far we have been able to keep even numbers by picking up a club player who initially was not planning to practice or having one player volunteer out because they had someone they wanted to hit with.  So far the feedback has been very positive and I keep tweaking the format a little each time as problems and suggestions come up.

If you have any comments, format change suggestions, or drill recommendations I would love to hear them.

Mark - Who will go to extrodinary lengths to get people to practice with him.

Edited by mjamja - 09/20/2022 at 2:46am
Sponsored Links

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2022 at 9:22am
How do you incorporate LP or anti players. They are people too, ya know!
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I'm sure they can just fit in, just like any other team training that would have LP, SP, Anti players.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2022 at 11:50am

The biggest issue is when they are supposed to be blocking from their LP side.  If they normally twiddle it is fairly easy to  just block with their inverted side.  If not, then they just position themselves so they can block with the non-LP side.  This is not ideal for them since they lose some of their blocking practice time with the LP but it is the best idea for now.

When we do what would normally be a loop to loop drill, the LP player gets a choice.  We can do the drill loop to chop if they are normally choppers.  If not, then we do loop, block, push, LP attack, and loop.  The LP player also gets the same choice when it is time to loop to block with his LP.  He can choose to do chop to loop if the chop is his normal rally stroke.  If he is more of an at the table blocker then he does counter, LP block, push, LP attack, counter.

It takes a little thought, but if you think of the drill in terms of what part of the game it is for (rather than the usual way of describing the stroke used) you can figure out what to have the LP player do.  It is important to try and rotate the LP player among the other players in a way such that one player is not doing the same section (warmup, opening, or drills) with the LP player everyday.  But like weak/strong player match ups you have to pay attention to how a particular combination of players may or may not work well in a certain section and try to avoid that.

Mark - Who does not mind LP players unless they like to practice changing rackets in the middle of points.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2022 at 6:12pm

by playing them allround at first: not spinning to avoid our spin to bite us instead. Just like everything, we go slow first with what's new.
Playing v. LP or anti is fun as most of the time at intermediate levels, they will let us play: they will try make us look like fools without attacking much and we'll just beat ourselves if we go too strong too quick when we do not know them. By playing them safe and gradually gaining confidence, we progress. By playing slower, we learn faster if it makes sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic