Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Topics to Help Beginners (Humor)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topics to Help Beginners (Humor)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topics to Help Beginners (Humor)
    Posted: 09/26/2020 at 12:42am
Beginner Topics

Our forum does not really give beginners the information they truly need.  This is in large part due to the fact that many beginners are afraid to post topics for fear of criticism.  Therefore the things they really need to know never get discussed.  Below I have listed a few topics and original posts (based on interactions with beginners) that I feel should be discussed in the forum

1. 8 common mistakes in applying the rules of table tennis.

As a new player I am confused by different rules being used in different garages.  What are 8 of the most common mistakes about the rules of table tennis?

2. Fh underspin trying to improve

I am trying to learn to return underspin to my Fh with underspin (I think it is called pushing).  Here is some video.  Sorry rallies are so short.  My partner does not know how to serve underspin and I do not know how to return it so they are really short.

3. What is the best way to apply de-booster?

I have read about booster to increase speed and spin of rubbers.  I need to apply a de-booster to my rubber to make it slower (hit fewer balls off table) and less spin sensitive (help with my Fh underspin return of underspin).  What should I use and how should I apply it?

4. Weak short pips

If de-booster is not the answer, I am thinking of using short pips to be less sensitive to spin.  What are the weakest (slowest) short pips so that I will not hit that many balls long?

5. Need a much slower Viscaria

I hit with a friend's Viscaria and really liked the way it felt.  Only problem was I hit all the shots long so I think I need something slower.  Friend said I should play with All+ ( whatever that means).  So what is the best All+ blade that feels just like a Viscaria.  I heard that blades can last a long time so I am willing to spend quite a lot on a good blade. Say $20-$30 on the blade without rubbers.

6. Is AFL carbon (AFLC) different from NFL carbon?

I heard players at a club talking about these different materials in blades.  What is the difference between these?  Sorry if I did not quite get the names right as they were a couple of tables down from me.

Mark - Everytime I think I am getting better, I play someone who teaches me I am still just a beginner

Edited by mjamja - 09/26/2020 at 7:55pm
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 7:56pm
Bump - Original title might have given bad idea of what is in post.  So changed it and bumped it up.

Mark
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2020 at 7:52pm
I get customers who want a fast, spinny setup with a lot of control.

Usually I reply that they forgot to list cheap too. 
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2020 at 4:42am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Beginner Topics

Our forum does not really give beginners the information they truly need.  This is in large part due to the fact that many beginners are afraid to post topics for fear of criticism.  Therefore the things they really need to know never get discussed.  Below I have listed a few topics and original posts (based on interactions with beginners) that I feel should be discussed in the forum

1. 8 common mistakes in applying the rules of table tennis.

As a new player I am confused by different rules being used in different garages.  What are 8 of the most common mistakes about the rules of table tennis?

2. Fh underspin trying to improve

I am trying to learn to return underspin to my Fh with underspin (I think it is called pushing).  Here is some video.  Sorry rallies are so short.  My partner does not know how to serve underspin and I do not know how to return it so they are really short.

3. What is the best way to apply de-booster?

I have read about booster to increase speed and spin of rubbers.  I need to apply a de-booster to my rubber to make it slower (hit fewer balls off table) and less spin sensitive (help with my Fh underspin return of underspin).  What should I use and how should I apply it?

4. Weak short pips

If de-booster is not the answer, I am thinking of using short pips to be less sensitive to spin.  What are the weakest (slowest) short pips so that I will not hit that many balls long?

I hit with a friend's Viscaria and really liked the way it felt.  Only problem was I hit all the shots long so I think I need something slower.  Friend said I should play with All+ ( whatever that means).  So what is the best All+ blade that feels just like a Viscaria.  I heard that blades can last a long time so I am willing to spend quite a lot on a good blade. Say $20-$30 on the blade without rubbers.

I heard players at a club talking about these different materials in blades.  What is the difference between these?  Sorry if I did not quite get the names right as they were a couple of tables down from me.

Mark - Everytime I think I am getting better, I play someone who teaches me I am still just a beginner
I thinknthese topics are always addressed when askes. It's only hard to search for the topics. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2020 at 8:42am

This is the easiest answer.  The AFL carbon is no longer manufactured.  The manufacturers either went broke or merged with the NFL carbon people.  Go with the NFL carbons.

Also, concerning "All+":  I don't know what it means either, but others do know.  My depth of ignorance was additionally revealed at my castigated comment concerning a blade that was recently released rated "Off+++".  That's three (3) pluses.  That is a lot of pluses, in my opinion.  I don't know what that means either (Am I being helpful?).

This statement does demonstrate a lack of understanding.  Viscaria comes in one speed, I know that.  Viscaria may be thought of as equivalent of a hummingbird's wing speed.  It is very fast and one speed. 

I can help with blade selection.  Don't listen to those guys at the club or in the garage or in the basement.  One of the problems with Viscaria is its name.  Nobody I know knows what the name means.  This is a clue to blade selection.

The best way to pick out a blade is to survey the names of the blades available and select one with an appealing name.  You will find names like "flame" and "blaze".  Pretty cool, huh?  Choose the one with the best name.

Although you didn't ask, I'm in a generous mood of helpfulness so I offer a thought on rubber selection, which is the material you place on the face of the blade.  (Almost all rubbers have no rubber from the rubber tree in their content.  I think that factoid is good to know.)  The theme of preferentially favoring the name of a product as an influence in its selection may apply to rubber also.  For instance, no one can pronounce "Dignics" so that is a bad choice.  However, I knew one player who selected a rubber called "Screw".  The name "Screw" appealed to him as he said it matched his personality profile as revealed in formally-employed personality tests.  As an English word, "screw" is both widely used and widely applicable.  Both as a noun, verb, adverb, and adjective, it holds a lofty place in the American vernacular of expression.  (In general, you want to screw and you want to avoid being screwed.)

"Screw" was, indeed, a good rubber choice for my acquaintance (he didn't have any friends, just acquaintances).  It performed well for him.  You too may want to think in terms of your personality in selecting rubber.  As an example, if you have a lot of energy as noted by your friends and family, you may want to choose "Tenergy", which has the work "energy" in its name.  If, on the other hand, your prominent personality quality is a palpable forcefulness in how you conduct yourself, a rubber such as "Hurricane" may be your best selection, as hurricanes are very forceful.

A degree of abstraction in this otherwise concrete material selection may be of benefit to consider.  In table tennis, we have a rubber category know as "anti's", which have the effect of suppressing the effects of ball spin.  Many people live an "anti" life, a generalize rejection of and resistance to most matters before them.  If you are that person, this may be the category for you.  

Another rubber category is "Offensive".  We long-in-the-table-tennis-tooth know of undeniable parallels found in the selection of offensive rubbers by people others consistently find to be offensive.  In a quiet moment of reflective repose, if you too self-recognize this in you, an offensive rubber likely is the option most compatible with yourself.  

As you may have suspected, I've helped many players with equipment selection using the type of reasoning found above.  I'm proud of my contribution in assisting people like you, using my critical thinking skills that, sadly, are no longer taught in school.  If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask, as I'm always available and on-the-ready to help.

Thanks. 

Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2020 at 12:42pm
Donn,

Once again a Principled Approach to TT has established a new paradigm, this time in the methodology of equipment selection.  You must include this as an additional chapter in the next PATT.

Note: I like to think I have some comedic talent.  But when Donn or Heavyspin reply to my posts I realize my true calling is as a straight man.

Mark - The George Burns of MYTT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic