Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topmost outer layer=composite. Is it legal ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sifus_brem View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sifus_brem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topmost outer layer=composite. Is it legal ?
    Posted: 09/10/2019 at 11:36pm
Is it legal to have the outermost layer of a blade (the layer that is used to glue the rubber on)  to be say, carbon or arylate ?

Just curious 

Edited by sifus_brem - 09/10/2019 at 11:52pm
Sponsored Links

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 11:42pm
No
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sifus_brem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

No

Can you please show which sub-section of Rule 2.4 The racket , in the ITTF Handbook that defines this ?

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 12:03am
This rule:
2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon  fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller.

The word 'within' implies it can't be an outer layer.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sifus_brem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 12:22am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

This rule:
2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon  fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller.

Ambiguous 50-50 
Silver Server View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver Server Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 6:01am
I often wonder if the composition will ever change in the future to complete man made materials. To where wooden blades are ancient relics lol. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 6:19am
It's coming. That rule will be changed in the near future.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 8:00am
Apart from being legal or not, what would be the advantages of a composite outer layer?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 8:12am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Apart from being legal or not, what would be the advantages of a composite outer layer?

Once you aren't restricted to wood, you can use materials with more consistency.   You can also use different materials to create a different variety of spin/speed producing effects.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 8:13am

This rule:

Not ambiguous at all.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 8:28am
Splintering will be a thing of the past. No more griping over joint veneer. More room to play with weight, thickness and stiffness.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 10:18am
xvt has an external ZLC blade
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

This rule:

Not ambiguous at all.

Correct. In the late nineties-early noughties, Butterfly put out a Kreanga blade with an outer composite layer. Referees did not allow the blade. I think that ITTF issued a clarification stating that the Kreanga was illegal for competition. This is from my sometime flaky memory.
What I do remember is that the blade was very expensive so several players lost out financially.
I suppose that today, Butterfly would have to refund or replace.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

xvt has an external ZLC blade

Usually when I have seen the terms inner and outer denoting ZLC blades it is the positioning of the fiber within the blade.  If the fiber is only one layer under the surface then it is "termed" an outer layer, while if it is buried deeper under the surface then it is termed and inner layer.  In both cases the fiber is under the wood, just depends on how many layers of wood are above the fiber.  One would be considered outer, 2 or more layers of wood above the fiber would be an inner positioning. 

I'll have to take a look for this XVT blade, might be interesting to have one for fun.  And just because I haven't seen a blade with an exterior layer of fiber doesn't mean they don't make them I suppose.  Sometimes manufacturers come up with some unique offerings, like the Kreanga blade by Butterfly that was ruled to not meet the ITTF standard years ago.  It might offer some new possibilities, I just wonder how the weight of the blade would change with more composites allowed or allowed on the surface.  If the rule is changing I have no doubt that the manufacturers are already hard at work on the new fad.  I suppose the biggest question is how much will they charge, $500+ for a blade?  $750?
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 1:55pm
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 2:30pm
Yes, that is an outer, it has the carbon just under the dark surface ply wood.  It is 5 plys of wood and 2 layers of carbon.  TT11 has a great photo taken from the side of the blade of the composition, that allow you to see the 3 center plys, the carbon layers and the outer dark surface wood. An interesting pattern they have chosen for the paint on the outer layer of the blade, I'm guessing it would not work with most OX long pips, too dark.  I guess it is suppose to look like carbon fiber weave?  Looks gray in some pictures and black in others depending on the lighting used.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 2:37pm
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 5:56pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 9:50pm
ITTF Technical Leaflet T4 states:

2. Blade
A very thin layer of lacquer is permitted on the blade, only for the purpose of anchoring wood fibres, 
thereby facilitating replacement of the racket covering. Anything more than this will be deemed to 
constitute a layer of plastic, and will not be permitted. This layer may be no more than 0.1 mm thick, 
and should not hide the wood from sight or touch. It is considered to be part of the blade, rather than 
part of the thickness of the racket covering.
A thin layer of paint or plastic laminate is permitted on an uncovered non-striking side of the blade, for 
the purpose of having a proper red or black side.
NaanAvana View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaanAvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

It will be interesting to see if they get ITTF approval. 
Do blades need ITTF approval ?
I was told you don't. 
All this is very confusing.
I am new & am trying to buy a racket and don't want to buy wrong one and get banned by ITTF
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 9:54pm
Blades don't need ITTF approval but they have to follow ITTF guidelines stated in Technical Leaflet T4.  At sanctioned events they may inspect your racket for compliance with rules on blade and coverings.  Rubbers do have to be approved by ITTF.

They could of course revise that leaflet to allow this but I for one doubt they will.

Edited by Baal - 09/11/2019 at 9:56pm
NaanAvana View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaanAvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Technical Leaflet T4.  

Thank you . But you keep referring to this Leaflet over & over.
Where can I find this leaflet ? Does it cost me to buy  from ITTF ?

Why does ITTF make things so difficult ? All they need to do is remove the word "within" and add a clause that says " The outermost layers have to be only wood" .
As far as I see it now, "within" to me means anything within the racket including outerlayer. I strongly disagree with poster BAAL

It is like I need a legalman (attorney ot advocate or barrister as they say)  before a new person like me buys a racket and goes to a competition ( only to be banned from ITTF in shame)

Edited by NaanAvana - 09/11/2019 at 10:05pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 10:13pm
ITTF has it on their webpage now.  It is a free PDF download.  Actually I think there are 8 of them. It's not my rule its ITTF so disagree with them if you want. I'm just reporting the current state of affairs.

Search for it and you will find it easily.  It's pretty dull reading.

As for why ITTF uses such strange wording, it has bugged me for a long time especially when it comes to enforcing serve rules.  In the case of the racket it is pretty clear.

The rackets and rubbers sold by main TT online vendors will be legal.  Aliexpress is very hit or miss but even there most blades you could buy would be legal.  Also in Germany where you live there are actual TT shops with experts who can help you buy the right stuff.  You live in one of the best places in the world for a TT enthusiast.  Clubs everywhere and lots of good players.

Edited by Baal - 09/11/2019 at 11:54pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 6:06am
The wording here is rather straight and clear to me, that "an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material..."
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 6:15am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2018/12/call-for-blades-4.pdf
Quote INTERNATIONAL TABLE TENNIS FEDERATION
Equipment Committee Chairman

Call for supplying to the ITTF table tennis racket blades for the
research project “Comparison of the performance of table tennis
racket blades made of various materials”
The research project will be started in 2019.
“Various materials” shall be understood as only one material or as a combination of
layers made of different materials, including or not layers of natural wood.
The blades proposed must respect all other specifications (written in black & regular).
Only the rule sections related to material (written in blue & italic) are “free”. Additionally,
according to the resolution voted by the Annual General Meeting, all materials proposed
shall be solid, without cavities and not be compressible (except for natural wood).
2.4 THE RACKET

2.4.1 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid.
2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may
be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be
thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35 mm, whichever is the smaller.

2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used
for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.
Resolution of the associations of Hong Kong and Korea to replace 2.4.2 by
2.4.2. The blade shall be made of one or more layers of natural wood or other solid materials, without cavities
and not compressible.

The requirements about blades under 2.4.1 and 2.4.5 will be maintained. Please note that all blade layers
continue into the handle.

It is desired that we get offers not only of high-tech, expensive blades of different
materials, but also of simpler and cheaper blades, however providing a good
performance for competitions, as well for attacking as for defensive players.
The blades’ surfaces shall allow attaching racket coverings with the water-based table
tennis glues AND removing them without damage for blades and rubbers.
Samples must be accompanied by a detailed description and sketch of its composition
(not of manufacturing processes!) and their intended use (attackers, defenders …).
Samples shall be delivered without any brand or model name on, free of charge and two
of each; they will not be returned. The project leaders will make the adequate choice.
The samples shall be addressed before January 20, 2019 to ITTF Equipment
Committee c/o Mr. Paul SCHILTZ 1, rue de l’Eglise L-3391 PEPPANGE Luxembourg,
and shall be marked as indicated in the form attached (to be completed and added!).
Precise questions may be addressed by email to [email protected] .
Claudia HERWEG
Equipment manager

Paul SCHILTZ
Chairman of Equipment Committee
Page 1 of 1

Mr. Paul Schiltz | 1 rue de l’église, LU 3391 Peppange, Luxembourg
Mobile +352 621 211 511 | Email: [email protected] | Skype: schiltz.paul.lux | www.ittf.com

Edited by zeio - 09/12/2019 at 6:21am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 10:48am
guys...... do you understand that the players who play ittf tournaments are in "national team" level?
unless you are in the national team at 15 years old, you probably don't need to worry about what ittf wants.
NaanAvana View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaanAvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

guys...... do you understand that the players who play ittf tournaments are in "national team" level?

WRONG

If you are from same Association , I think you just enter.
If you are from a different national association,  that association needs to give you an OK I think but for that I do not think you need to be on National Team

NaanAvana View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaanAvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:12am

https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2018/12/call-for-blades-4.pdf
Quote INTERNATIONAL TABLE TENNIS FEDERATION
Equipment Committee Chairman

Call for supplying to the ITTF table tennis racket blades for the
research project “Comparison of the performance of table tennis
racket blades made of various materials”
The research project will be started in 2019.
“Various materials” shall be understood as only one material or as a combination of
layers made of different materials, including or not layers of natural wood.
The blades proposed must respect all other specifications (written in black & regular).
Only the rule sections related to material (written in blue & italic) are “free”. Additionally,
according to the resolution voted by the Annual General Meeting, all materials proposed
shall be solid, without cavities and not be compressible (except for natural wood).
2.4 THE RACKET

2.4.1 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid.
2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may
be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be
thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35 mm, whichever is the smaller.

2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used
for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.
Resolution of the associations of Hong Kong and Korea to replace 2.4.2 by
2.4.2. The blade shall be made of one or more layers of natural wood or other solid materials, without cavities
and not compressible.

The requirements about blades under 2.4.1 and 2.4.5 will be maintained. Please note that all blade layers
continue into the handle.

It is desired that we get offers not only of high-tech, expensive blades of different
materials, but also of simpler and cheaper blades, however providing a good
performance for competitions, as well for attacking as for defensive players.
The blades’ surfaces shall allow attaching racket coverings with the water-based table
tennis glues AND removing them without damage for blades and rubbers.
Samples must be accompanied by a detailed description and sketch of its composition
(not of manufacturing processes!) and their intended use (attackers, defenders …).
Samples shall be delivered without any brand or model name on, free of charge and two
of each; they will not be returned. The project leaders will make the adequate choice.
The samples shall be addressed before January 20, 2019 to ITTF Equipment
Committee c/o Mr. Paul SCHILTZ 1, rue de l’Eglise L-3391 PEPPANGE Luxembourg,
and shall be marked as indicated in the form attached (to be completed and added!).
Precise questions may be addressed by email to [email protected] .
Claudia HERWEG
Equipment manager

Paul SCHILTZ
Chairman of Equipment Committee
Page 1 of 1

Mr. Paul Schiltz | 1 rue de l’église, LU 3391 Peppange, Luxembourg
Mobile +352 621 211 511 | Email: [email protected] | Skype: schiltz.paul.lux | www.ittf.com

Congratulations , you reposted something from ITTF that was already posted in the beginning of this thread.  Still does not explain what "within" means which is open to very subjective interpretation. I could interpret it to mean any layer within the blade meaning including outermost layer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by NaanAvana NaanAvana wrote:

Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

WRONG

If you are from same Association , I think you just enter.
If you are from a different national association,  that association needs to give you an OK I think but for that I do not think you need to be on National Team

I'm not talking about associations.
I'm talking about playing level.
The people who play ittf tournaments all have this playing level.
If you go to an ittf tournament with a poor playing level you will get crushed in the group zone.
it's a waste of time and money.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 09/12/2019 at 11:14am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by NaanAvana NaanAvana wrote:

Congratulations , you reposted something from ITTF that was already posted in the beginning of this thread.  Still does not explain what "within" means which is open to very subjective interpretation. I could interpret it to mean any layer within the blade meaning including outermost layer

Knock yourself out. Been there, done that. History repeats itself.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39602&PID=487843&title=ma-lins-serve-legal#487843
Originally posted by Pongz Pongz wrote:

wow.... my goodness.. thanks for the input, wturber... gee, now I know how hard it is to make a rule...

Even though people know about the intention of the rule, as long as there is a hole or you can make different interpretations, basically you can beat the rule..

Can we make the rule to just remove your hand and put it like Samsonov somewhere on the side? Is that simpler for everybody?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic